Register now to get rid of these ads!

Turbo 350 question, what is this?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blacktop Graffiti, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

So I've been tracking down a leak on my Dad's transmission and we've narrowed it down to this. You can see that it's leaking but what the hell is it? And can I fix it easily???????

[​IMG]

2. its the govener

3. terryble

terryble
    from canada

If memory serves me it has an o-ring behind that cover and its held in by a snap-ring

4. Snap ring holds it in, opening @ 2 o'clock.
    Cover pops out, new O ring rinse repeat

5. Thumper

Thumper

It's the accumulator...the governor is on the other side by the speedo. It has a o-ring thats bad. It can be fixed in the car ( If you have room by the floorboards) by prying in the center and popping the snap ring out. Id does have a stout spring behind it so be careful...it will zing off across the shop if it gets away from you.

6. All solid info--I seem to recall a rather strong spring behind the cover. I changed mine in the car and it seems to me much effort was required to put the cover (and new "O" ring) back on.
    Correct me if I'm wrong.

7. 1953 chevy

1953 chevy
    from tucson

This is a accumulator. There is a tool that bolts where the pan is you push it in release the pressure remove the snap ring pull the cap out and replace oring. the pan will need to come off. unless you can get leverage somewhere else to push against the cap. If you look close there is a small hole to put a tool of your choice in to release the snap ring. after applying pressure to cap.

8. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

2nd clutch accumulator

Push in with a pry bar remove clip using the hole as mentioned.
    replace seals.

Be sure the clip is installed properly. Or when you hit 2nd it will pop out, make a big mess and embarrass yourself. Ask me how I know, it was 35 yrs ago.

9. OldFord39

OldFord39
    from Monroe, Wi

That is the 1/2 accumulator it has a piston and a pretty stout spring between the piston and the cap; the spring probably broke and allowed the O-ring to relax and then leak, There is a special tool that attaches to two bolts on the pan rail and then you pry against the cover to remove and install, there is also a hole at about the 9:00 o'clock position to push a 1/8" punch in and release the round retaining ring. If there is a transmission shop in your area it is probably a 15 minute job. If you wish to tackle the job your self PM me and I can ship you the tool and parts as long as you pay the freight and agree to send my tool back. but its probably going to cost within a few dollars of just having a shop do it.

10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If you have some help use a socket and a pry bar have some one hold it wile you tackle the snap ring. I like to set the new oring in the bore and then install the cover and lube it up with petroleum jelly.

11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Like everyone else that knows has already said, and the only thing I can add is sometimes the accumulator spring is broken; just replace the spring with a new one. Butch/56sedandelivery.

12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That does look like the leak but ifin it were me id reseal the throttle pressure cable and look at the dip stick (had one of those things leak like a sive ) wile you are in there.

13. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

did lots of them in the early eighties

14. elba

elba

Take the spring out and it gives you a firmer 1-2 shift.

15. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

So push in the cover and then pop out the snap ring?

16. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

Just a technical note: That is not a T-350 trans. It is a T-250 trans. Notice the adjustment stud for the band above and near the cooler line fittings. A weak trans, band used for 2nd gear

17. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

So I paid $150 for a turbo 250????????

18. Good call Crosley, the leaks look to be coming tom cooling line area so I would hit area with brake cleaner and wipe it extra clean and see what area wets up after running for few minutes.

19. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

And I'll bet the seller also told you it came out of a Vette. I did't notice the adjustment stud either; and I'm currently working on a TH350. Butch/56sedandelivery.

20. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

What does it accumulate?

21. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

Well, I bought it from a 'friend' that's in a car club I USE to be in. I've been bleeped over buy these two clubs so many times it's painful.

22. sorry to hear of your club luck. like my pops always told me .... you'll either get smart or strong , my self ..... I'm neither lol , guess that piece of his advice was wrong :)

23. Transmission fluid to keep the shifts soft so the internal psi doesn't tear up internal parts when it shifts gears.

24. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

My buddy came over and he got it off no problem. It didn't fly off and kill anyone. Yeah! The o-ring looked kinda old. But I did talk to the guy I bought it from and he said all the seals were replaced a year before I bought it. Sure. And he was told it was a turbo 350. Sure.

25. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks! Ah, the mysteries of automatic transmissions...

26. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

This o-ring is common to go bad. The accumulator controls the apply for 2nd gear servo for the 2nd gear band. The band adjustment looks to be just above the cover. Look at the pan and compare shape to a TH350 pan gasket. That will tell you what you have.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  27. I'm not sure that this will work to I.D. the trans. I think that the TH350 (M38) and TH250 (M33) used the same pan gasket and filter kit.

Maybe you're thinking compared to a TH200 (M29) trans??

28. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

You need a pry bar and a socket to press the cover against the spring, pretty stout. It's just a round snap ring you pry out with an awl and a screwdriver. Then you will spiral it back in.

[​IMG]

29. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Yeah, think it was the 200. What the hell did they use the 250 in?

30. OldFord39

OldFord39
    from Monroe, Wi

The THM 250 were first used in Vegas; I am not sure what other platforms used them. I have never seen one stock behind a V8