Register now to get rid of these ads!

need help on power steering rack #

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by model A hooligan, Aug 16, 2013.

1. so my rack says: SPR GM 56H06B

i cant find what it is,my problem is i need a universal joint to fit the input splines and so far the 5/8 36 spline joint does not fit.im at a standstill with this

2. no other number i see on it. and nothign pops up on the net when i search those numbers.iy measures 5/8 but my 5/8 coupler is to small.it has 36 splines but it has a factory flat spot on the splines.very confused what to get. as from what i can tell theres a ford racl,a chevy and chrysler and the chevy/chrysler have the same spline and measurement. so i am unsure what universal joint i need.

3. I have the same problem with a rebuilt manual rack off a early 90's cavalier. After all the description i gave boregeson they sent me for a power rack which is different. So i'm running a power rack like a manual till i find the splined unit.

4. there's gotta be something out there..anyone?

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is metric, 17mm or 18mm. I will try to find the correct answer. Boregeson has the joint.

6. that would be the biggest help,im lost and am stuck on my progress till i can get that figured out and hooked up

7. no one has any more info?

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I still can't find the information. Dug through a whole year's records.

9. thanks for searching.maybe another will chime in.i contacted borgeson and the offered little to no help

10. 32 hudson

32 hudson

You might have to go to a late model wrecking yard and pull a u joint of an ninty's type gm frd and see if it fits perhaps as a sample or adapt some how to use. Any thing newer then 1985 is probably metric.

11. Is this the same dam thing i'm looking for? early 90's gm manual rack

Attached Files:

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Could be 17DD rather than 3/4DD. My C4 R&P is metric. not imperial. Borgeson has the joint as I have one to suit 3/4DD & 17DD.

13. papastoyss

papastoyss

16 mm is real close to 5/8. That may be what you have. HF has a digital dial caliper around $20, sometimes on sale for much less that reads both metric & standard, get one, you'll wonder how you got by w/o it.

14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

15. Not to hijack the thread but he might be looking for the same thing i am. I specified to borgeson what i had and they said ya ya ya. But sent me one for a power rack anyway. So, i'm reluctant to order from them again.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is really starting to bother me. I pulled this off several years ago. I keep exceptional records, most of which I can quote from memory. I had the joint.

Now I can't find the records, and a bunch of pictures (not related), from that period of time. Paperless office, they said. One bit-shift, and it is all lost.

Technological failure I can accept. My memory, on the other hand, is beginning to worry me.