Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trying to fire the '62 after a long slumber

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blackmaria60, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

Gang -

This '62 Olds has sat for over a year, because I couldn't get it to fire. I have started going after it now and want to know what grounding points can I check?? Here's why:

- Pertronix is new w/new coil (as in last 2 mos) gapped at .035 per Pertronix Oldsmobile specs.
    - plug wires are all correct
    - engine is at TDC on compression stroke
    - new Holley sending fuel in good and strong

Just not getting a spark from the coil, but when ignition is on it shows 12v across the contacts of the coil. All I can think of is a grounding problem but never had one before.

2. greybeard360

greybeard360

Does the negative side of the coil flicker your test light when you crank the motor? If not, recheck the wiring on the Pertronix, if good, it may be the Pertronix itself isn't any good.

3. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

As in test light to NEG terminal and to an engine ground?

I hope it isn't the elec. ignition, it's brand new. The car initially started/ran fine in R or 1st gear, then started dogging and choking when shifted to 2nd. It was a crappy carb so I rplcd it w/a new Holley 2bbl - same.

Then I moved to ignition thinking the modulator went out - I see alot of people have probs w/Pertronix after awhile. It's a head scratcher....

4. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

That Pertronix should send to the coil to fire a spark back whether or not the gap is correct, right? I know the gap is good tho' - I set it on the bench, then rechecked after installation. It's w/in the 0.010 - 0.060" tolerance.

5. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Yes, plugs should fire even if the gap is too much , with the key on ,check power to +coil from ignition, then check power from negative side coil to distributor, then if you have power to the distributor but not out of it to the plugs then it is the pertronix, which I have seen fail for no apparent reason. That is why most all my cars have points.

6. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

Gonna try that this weekend then. My help goes back to school tomorrow!