Register now to get rid of these ads!

Coker tire: Wtf? Fine print!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slick Willy, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Maybe they should send several pounds of these magic beads out with each set of tires they sell.

2. Hookedtrout

Hookedtrout
    from East Idaho

If I owned the business here's what I'd do.

Ask what kind of rod you were building to break the ice. Ask what the problem is. Do my best to understand the issue. Determine if it's an issue as a company we have faced before and already have a clear understanding about. Work with the customer to come to a good understanding of how to best resolve the issue.

3. Bam there it is right there.

I have been running cokers on my builds for over ten years and yea you have too screw around with them. That is no different than building the car in the first place. I have delt with Jess personally and he was great to deal with and was fair in everything that I had issues with. look though my history to see the post I did on my tire failure and you will see what the outcome was.

4. Hookedtrout

Hookedtrout
    from East Idaho

I think the biggest issue I see is the fact that the problem appears to be cleary identified and isn't anything new, its an ongoing issue. Can it be resolved in manufacturing? If not why? If it can't it sounds like the tires need to come with a warning so the consumer understands what they are getting into.

5. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

I carefully read all of the posts here. In the year 2000, I replaced the bias ply tires on my Chevy with Radial Wide Whitewalls. I did a lot of looking, asking and searching. Coker's name was always at the top of the list. I heard of a new manufactuer called Diamond Back Tires from a wheel maker called Pete Paulsen out in California. I bought my wheels from Pete. I asked if he would use these new tires and he told me " If you buy them and you don't like them, I will give you your money back" This was from a complete stranger and a wheel maker! I purchased those tires in 2000 and after 10,000+ miles on them, I had one belt bad. I called up Diamond Back and they said send it back to us and if the belt is bad, we'll replace it. Free!
    Long story short, they replaced the tire and they are still on the car. 13 years and 30,000+ miles!

I've never had Coker tires but the Diamond Backs are running real good.

6. 1930-coupe

1930-coupe

I've averaged a set of year for the past decade. I can't think of any issues I've ever had. People forget these are bias tires and not modern perfectly made radials. Kind of funny really.

7. db300

db300

You replace a set of tires a year for the last 10?! What are you running and how many miles are you getting out of them?

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

No shit. I wouldn't brag about replacing a set a year, unless I was getting 30,000 miles in a year out of them.

9. Buzznut

Buzznut

That would be a tough one. I would refer you to the manufacturer since I didn't install the tires. If I were to install tires out of my inventory with a 3 year old DOT number, the manufacturer would honor the warranty, but they would also let me know that I was pushing it installing a tire that old.

I'm not pointing to this one issue as being the only indicator, I'm using the overwhelming number of personal accounts as an indicator of a larger issue regarding the quality of the product.

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

And in my mind, that would lead to a good resolution for both of us. Now, what if you read "Your tires suck!" by a customer with nothing but a bad experience and no data to back that up?

What I'm getting to is, I don't want to read what a bitching, whining customer has to say. I'd want to read about a problem and the out come after a talk with the seller. The bottom line is in ALL things manufactured, there are going to be bad examples and maybe bad runs entirely. It's how the company handles the issue that gets my attention.

I like to see the whole picture. A lot of the negative posts on this thread, don't explain what the resolution was or what conversations they had with Coker. As a future buyer, I still have not heard a valid reason why I shouldn't buy them. If someone's going to call out a tire company that makes MILLIONS of tires in a year, they need to step up with some serious facts about the entire experience, if they are issuing a warning.

"(Fill in the blank) tires, WTF?" doesn't mean a thing to me.

11. Buzznut

Buzznut

And I agree completely...diplomacy and cool heads make the process go much smoother.

I'd still like an answer as to how the rate of defective tires is so much higher with Coker than on average. Are these made in China to Coker "specs"? What is the underlying problem... To me, THAT is the real question here.

12. Inline

Inline
    from Ohio

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--> To make it clear, I am not trying to defend Coker nor am I trying to complain about them. I have personally worked as an engineer designing bias race tires for almost a decade. It has always been a continuous fight to get a round bias tire and there are always a large number of tires scrapped each run do to uniformity. I am sure that Coker, or whomever Coker has build their tires, have the same issues. A bias ply constructed tire is extremely difficult to produce to today’s consumer’s expectations. Radial tires are considered one of the biggest single most automotive inventions for a reason. When Michelin introduced the radial tire in the 60’s, bias tire production was immediately antiquated. Most of us, myself included, have primarily driven on radial tires our entire lives and have come to expect that level of ride and performance out of our tires….even on an inferior bias tire.

For those not familiar with tire construction, it is important to realize that a tire is assembled much like an engine or a transmission. The single key difference is that instead of using bolts, rubber is what holds everything together. The plies, usually made of nylon or polyester, are what handle the forces of air pressure, vehicle load, cornering, etc. and the bead wire locks everything together. A bias tire is built on a tire building drum that is slightly smaller diameter than the bead diameter. Whether the finished tire OD is 21”, 25” or 30”, a 15” bead bias tire is built on a roughly 15” diameter drum. This means that the center of the tire has to expand radially in the curing mold to the finished OD. In some cases, there is a ridiculously amount of deformation and distortion of the plies in doing this. As you can imagine, there is also a tremendous amount of internal tension. This distortion is partly what makes a bias tire prone to having an out of roundness condition.

I am not saying that it is impossible to build a round bias ply tire, but in the smaller quantity runs that I am sure Coker produces of each size, it certainly makes it more difficult. By the time that individuals building the tires have a chance to get everything dialed in, the production run can be over.

Like many of you, I prefer the look of a bias tire over a radial on a traditional car. I have had several sets of Coker tires over the years and too have had fought with out of round conditions and flatspots. I have several close friends that have had similar issues. Would I still buy a Coker tire? Certainly, because the fact of the matter is that until recently, there really has not been another company that has produced a similar product. As for the price increase on tires, it is not specific to Coker. All tire manufactures have increased their prices mainly due to the increased demand of the raw components of synthetic rubber. The two major components of synthetic rubber being petroleum and carbon black.

Slick Willy, I am actually surprised that Coker did anything for you on a 3 year old tire.
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:EnableOpenTypeKerning/> <w:DontFlipMirrorIndents/> <w:OverrideTableStyleHps/> </w:Compatibility> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="&#45;-"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} </style> <![endif]-->

13. 5window

5window

Damn, if you drink latte instead of real coffee you deserve to get burned. That's kind of like saying "I drink Bud Light".:confused:

14. Buzznut

Buzznut

That explains that...

15. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm thinking .02% for a "brand name" seems really high. Do you have a source for that number outside of what you typically see or is it all based on your day-to-day work?

Also, can you quantify Coker's ratio? Are you installing a lot of Coker tires? And if not, what is your source there?

16. I'll second that !
    Years ago I bought a set of wide whites for my '40 Ford from Coker, no problem, ordered and paid for them over the phone and picked them up at the spring Carlisle parts meet a week later. A few years later I tried to buy another set for my '50 Ford and got treated like sh*t over the phone, they could care less if I bought them or not...so I didn't. Went to Diamond back, same tires were in my garage a week later, no problems for two + years now. They sit for months without moving (during the winter) and have been run in excess of 100mph the next summer, no problems (but they are radials).
    I'll never do business with Coker again, bet that'll teach em' :eek:.

Attached Files:

32SEDAN likes this.
  17. 1959apache

1959apache

bump for my post count

since this thread has turned into a coker bitch fest on both sides of the aisle

18. Buzznut

Buzznut

It is based on day-to-day work, but honestly, a lot of the tires that the customers scream about and demand warranty could be considered user inflicted damage. Curbing a tire, or hitting a pothole really hard will cause a tire to separate. If you can see the impact scar/mark on the tire you can typically explain to the customer that the damage was driver inflicted, however, if the impact occurred on the tread portion of the tire and has since worn off due to road wear, then you can't prove impact damage. I would guess that the percentage is much lower...

As far as Coker tires go, we don't sell them and don't install them very often, but of the ones we have installed, I've yet to see one that is perfectly round. I'm taking into account my experience along with the overwhelming number of similar experiences on this thread and amongst fellow hot rodders and car buddies...it's a 50/50 crap shoot, and that may be generous.

I've spoken my peace...I don't have anything more to contribute here. I think everyone, and Coker, can take this thread for what it's worth. Either quality improves and consumers consume, or quality continues to fail and consumers go elsewhere. Economics 101...

19. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

If this is directed at me, the op, then I am sorry. I have listed the outcome from Coker. I didn't believe I was bitching and whining. I was merely trying to get across the fact that I was charged when I "felt" that the tires were being replaced for nothing for being a manufacturers defect.

20. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Jess Hoodenpyle, VP Sales and Customer Service, Coker Tire, where were you when I had a serious problem with all four Cokers on my car and complained at Hershey and was told "Sorry our tires are not for Drivers, Show cars only!!! I purchased Diamondbacks and I am very happy with them.

21. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

COKER 4..............EVERYONE ELSE 259................I'd call it a draw and lets move one to another subject..............we've beat this dog to death, and I love to beat a bad dog.

22. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

The folks at Diamond Back must be clanking their beer glasses.

23. 2racer

2racer

What's the best way to wash new white walls?...any brand

24. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Steel wool sos pads

25. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

this is why I had to settle for some cheap narrow white wall tires-
    didnt want to go thru a possible night mare like this-
    you look back a couple years on here and you'll find Coker issues popping up way too often.

26. Among all the bitching and moaning this is one of the few reasonable postings in this thread.
    I bought my first 4 WW bias ply Goodrich tires some months ago directly from Cokers. I am located in Europe, so additionally to the purchase price I had to pay the shipper and customs.
    I knew I only had one chance because sending back one or more defective tires from Europe to the US would not have been an option.

I brought the tires with new rims to my tire shop (which is an old tire shop with some experience) and they had to use 1 oz on one pair and 3 oz on the second pair to get them balanced.

When I asked the tire man if the 3 oz were a problem and if I should order a new pair his advise was to keep them: "With bias plies you can never be sure if they need 1 or maybe 4 oz to get them balanced. They are not defective, it's the way they are made."

So I kept my tires and so far I am very happy with them. No wobble, no problems, great looks.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  27. If you don't like Cokers (I've never had a problem with them) there are alternative bias plys...Lucas, Goodyear, General, Bedford, Universal, and Denman (if you can find some from their last run).

Radial tires look like crap on a period rod/custom IMO.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  28. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

ooof...Ive tried reasonably to get my point across. I think in some way, to some, it has but to too many this thread has turned into a hate or hug fest which I should have expected being around here as much as I have been...

In the last 24 hours I've learned even more now about the tire industry and their standards and policies. Although I don't agree with some of them, they are their policies.

Will I use Coker again? Of course.

With that being said, I asked Ryan to close this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.