Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1959 Chevy Nomad wagon build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959Nomad, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

well tomorrow is the yearly car show at work, it is open to cars at all stages of progress, a few have come in on trailers (and not because they were "queens").

All the windows are in an the chrome on. I am fairly happy with where the car is at for this stage (keep in mind this was a "how to build" for me to refresh and grow my fabrication skills). There is a lot you can only learn by trying, and if needed by trying again but enough about the curved windows.

Attached Files:

2. Very nice! I'm certain the car will be a hit at work today. Most folks have no idea what it take to bring something like this back from the dead and make it look and sound new again!

3. one2roc

one2roc

It's not always about the money, there's a ton invested in hard sweat equity! All those 40-50 year old rusty nuts and bolts......and lets not forget reverse engineering and putting stuff back together in many cases without the benifit of an assembly manual. Yup a whole lot to it

4. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks guys
    The car did get a lot of comments at the show, especially from those who had seen it a few years ago when i first got it back on the road. Sometimes is helps to gave a deadline to push for.
    There has been a lot of lessons learned that will help on the next stages as well as the next build.

5. one2roc

one2roc

Yah my 62 is presently completely disassembled.... It was an abandoned car in Texas that a freind brought back. It was mostly intact less the tail gate and hood. I got the DMV cleared and registered in my name then took her down. The frame was shot so I picked up a Canadian boxed frame, stripped it and started completing the welds and grinding things smooth. Still have a ways to go but should be nice when done. Will build a roller then have the body stripped and move on from there. Long term project indeed......

6. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

it all came together very nicely , bruce , im glad you got it back on the road , congrats

7. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

thanks Cody, it will be back in the shop this winter.
    still lots to do, but i am learning a lot that will help on future builds.
    you are at the PHD level when it comes to building customs and i get a lot of ideas from your build and ones like it.

8. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Life has been hectic but good the past month but i do have a little progress to report.
    Picked up a tube grill from a swap meet this summer and took out two rows, cut 3 of them down on both ends and redid the spacing (some were +/- 1/8", now ~.015")
    It took a little time to figure out how to get the proper curve but got it to work.
    Still need to complete the repainting of the spacer brackets, install the end plugs and polish the chrome.
    Other than that I have been able to put some miles on it and have had it out of the shop while attending to my OT car
    With fall here (and what is sure to follow), it is time to start planning the next steps.

Attached Files:

9. That looks pretty good in there, nice work! Gives it sort of a Buick look, I like it.

10. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thank Fan Attic,
    Got the brackets all painted and it is installed. Still have the original grill (2 actually) but like this and think it will stay.
    The plan is to also make a single one to go on each side in the area between the hood and valance. i will post a picture once done.

11. 5559

from tn

looks like a nice one.I've always liked the 59-60 chevys

12. 59 brook

59 brook

it's looking good. any leads on a tailgate?_

13. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks
    Sorry to say nothing new on the tailgate, seems they are nearly all rusted to some extent.Glad at this point i did now wait for one and just patched mine up.

14. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Mocked up one of the chrome tubes to fill the "eyebrow" slots.
    It needs a little adjustment, end caps and paint in the mounting brackets but the custom look seems to go with the grill.
    With tubing to spare why now make a set but will need to find some of the "bullet shaped" end caps. Anyone know where to get them?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  15. Kreep

Kreep

Damn,that's looking real slick.

-Kreep-

16. Neat trick with the bar in the slot.Looking really good.....Kenneth.

17. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks Guys, i finished fabricating the mounting brackets that use existing holes, got them painted, polished and mounted.
    here is the look from as far back as i could get.

Attached Files:

18. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

And now it is on to more rusty part repairs, interior version. plan is got one last round of DPLF-60 on a dozen or so remaining items
    more sand blasting in store

Attached Files:

19. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

Your wagon has really come a long way and it looks great. You are to be congratulated!

20. Wow, necessity is a "Mother"! I'm sure thankful all my stuff comes from the high desert. Your fab skills are getting very good, and there is a bit of "therapy" in rust repair I suppose. The nose job looks great too. I only know of ten or twelve real '59 Nomads still surviviing and yours will be one of just a few "Custom" finished examples. Carry On!

21. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks 59bones,
    There is a lot left to do and i guess it is never really done, but it is good to have reached this point.

Thanks Fan Attic
    The rust repair is something that i have hit the "no more rust buckets" pledge point many times. To start with a solid car is a goal for the future.
    Glad you like the front end, still have the original parts and could switch back fairly fast.

With winter on its way there should be more frequent progress to report

22. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Well one would think that working on the inside would reduce the rust repairs, but looking a the next wave, the welder and left over steel fro the 61 Belair will still be needed.

Here is the start of the work to remake the inside rear side covers. They will be covers with vinyl so it may not have to be too fussy, TBD
    one more chance to learn how to make parts and if it is a disaster, replacements can be found.

Attached Files:

23. The 59 Source

The 59 Source
    from PNW

Lookin good as always. If those interior panels dont turn out for ya I have some.
    Chris

24. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Then and now, the car looks a lot better since it rolled into the shop, but still has lots left to do. Maybe that is why we have winter in MN?
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

25. Jimmygee

Jimmygee
    from paramount

Looking for a roof rack

26. liking the attention to details ...

keep up the good work ...

27. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Certainly looks like you've "learned" a few things on and about the car...and your wagon is a driver, my '60 isn't to that stage just yet, but we're closing in on it...

Keep at it...!!!

R-

28. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

thanks, looking forward to getting a lot done over the winter

thanks, your 60 is looking really good, and your updates are excellent with lots of details

29. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Hi Jimmy,
    i have one but plan to keep it. i will keep an eye out for one. Did not realize when I got the car that the roof rack and the grill guard combined were worth about what price of the are was.
    Perhaps the PO thought it was a just parts car:rolleyes:

30. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Started in on the rook rack
    Re-Platting is out of the budget so a good clean and polish is the plan.
    Also replacing 6 broken rivets.

Attached Files: