Register now to get rid of these ads!

Balance A Mechanical Fan?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D-Russ, Aug 20, 2013.

1. xxx

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

post some pics. what kind of ride & engine? have seen people trim off some off of the tips but, never rebending one. seems that it will be less effective. a four blade might not really properly handle the cooling in the first place. I would do some online and/or wrecking yard checking for a fan that would work without modifying. if "bent" on trying the modification, possibly a balancer used when sharpening lawn mower blades would work.

3. MrFalcon62

MrFalcon62

I would try putting it on a lawnmower blade balancer. Then, just grind a little bit of metal off of the heavy side until you have it balanced out. It seems like it would work the way you want. And those things cost about $7 at sears.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. 4t7flat

4t7flat

Modifying A fan sounds like a very bad idea. Bending or welding, may weaken it, causing it to shed a blade, and hurt someone. My 392 hemi in a 32 frame, uses a 12" electric fan, and has never over heated.

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I cut mine (on a jig I made) down then had it magnuflucked then took it to a lawnmower servicing place to have it balanced.

Slow and steady.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

weld fan to pulley? how would pulley be held to water pump?

7. Wow. I betcha' that works just fine...

8. I think I'd go with welding it to the pulley before I'd go with the bent one.
    The centrifugal forces will try to straightedge the bends 100% of the time . The welded ones would do better against those forces.

Most clutch fans blades are riveted to the hub. The rivets allow minor movements to prevent tearing caused by an overly rigid connection.

If you could find a blade with a large center hole or one with enough meat to make larger so that it fit over the taper of the pulley- then weld the fan hub to the pulley. I think that should give you a worry and trouble free fan.

9. ems customer service

ems customer service

Fans should not be messed with, yes you can do it but, a electric is the correct and safe choice, maybe not traditional but to much rick and to much work to try to justify it..

10. I like the idea but wouldn't the modified blade interfere with the belt? HRP

11. Weasel

Weasel

I would never mess with a stock fan - it rotates at high speed and if it fails can kill. Flex fans are notorious for cracking at the hubs. I have lost three $700+ radiators and had a hole in a hood from flex fans - never again. There comes a point when common sense needs to prevail over traditionalism and that point is where personal safety, the safety of others and liability gets called into question. This is why I use shrouded electric fans from Cooling Components Inc. in everything. Ultra powerful,efficient quiet and with a maximum depth of 2 5/8" at the motor, will fit where nothing else will. I appreciate the concerns over the appearance of the electric fan, but ultimately something that is going to cool properly and not be an accident waiting to happen is a far better approach than traditional lookism....

12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

13. Torque-Tube

Torque-Tube

Never Never Never. I've heard many horror stories of fans letting go. A little grinding to balance is one thing but bending... Please don't do it.

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Welded fan blades. Been around for years. Where louvers came from...

15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Just looked like it from the photos. Email the seller.