Register now to get rid of these ads!

How Do We Check If Springs Are Good??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Olds Dad, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Olds Dad

Olds Dad

I've got a couple of projects going simultaneously - one of which is a '55 Olds 2 door sedan that sat in a garage since the early 60's and has ~ 30K on it.

Still has the OE "Spiral" shocks that were used by the factory (obviously I'm going to replace those) -

Sits true and level, but I can't help but wonder if the rear leaf springs are still good or not? Is there a layman's way to check this? I hate to spend the money to have new springs made if the ones that are there are good...conversely, if I should replace, now is the time.

Any thoughts?

thanks

2. Load the family up and see if it looks like you're haulin likker.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Olds Dad

Olds Dad

Ha...good idea - problem is the car is on stands, no interior, and months away from daylight!

4. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

My wagon sits a little low one side in back. Looking at Eaton springs.

Stock is 6 leaves rated at 880 lbs load.

Police/Taxi HD sedan are rated at 720 lbs load.

Standard sedan 640 lbs.

Certainly won't be hauling any weight around. Right now she rides like a big boat - you don't feel speed bumps - just hear them. :)

Any suggestions on which springs to run? Don't want to gain too much height or loose the ride quality. But then handling might improve with better springs.

How she sits now:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013

5. I still have the original springs front and rear on the '54 Ford "Ranch Wagon" with no problems. HRP

6. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Good point though about the load - my wagon needs the capacity for haulin' people.

Lookin' at spring ratings for like wagons of the era, they are all close to 900 lbs and up well over 1,000 lbs....

:eek:

7. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Decided to go thru Eaton Detroit Spring Inc and get the OE spring replacements rated at 880 lbs. And of cource new U-bolts.

They most def have the knowledge. Called them and it was instantaneous and correct info for what the '62 Dart wagon needs. Other companies wanted to sell incorrect sedan springs rated as low as 640, yet claim they were correct. Eaton for the win!

http://www.eatondetroitspring.com/

;)

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Leaf springs, if you examine them carefully you will spot any broken leaves. If the leaves are bent with big gaps in between it indicates the vehicle has been overloaded in the past. Springs should have an even curve all leaves the same.

There should be plastic sliders at the tips of the springs (metal on pre 1940 cars). If they are gone the springs will gouge each other and have too much friction.

Your springs can be rearched and new sliders installed by any good spring shop.

If you store your car for long periods of time, like over the winter, jack it up with stands under the frame and let the wheels hang down. It will sit right up high when you let it down, after being stored for a couple of months.