Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aug 2011 Banger Meet. Better late then never

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazydaddyo, Aug 3, 2011.

1. TV

TV

That looks like one of the new Donovan alum. 7-1 heads without the name.--TV

2. As quoted from OCG...
    "See if you can get a couple ''Gross-jets" They don't get the old 'crud makes them leak'' problem as easiy."
    Bluto;Since you posted this help tip for me, I have done serveral improvemnts to the roadster including setting the float levels and limits, changed out the electric fuel pump to the stock "B" fuel pump along with a bunch of none fuel related items. I tried a lap around the Crescent this evening , which is in very poor condition, and pulled into the shop only to find the same darn carb was leaking out of the throat and the screened (drain) at the bottom until I tapped the top of the carb with a screw driver handle. The engine runs just fine in the shop where I have run it up to 180deg without any sign of leaking. It seems to me that the jarring of the car when it hits a bump or crack in the pavement causes the float to jam the needle valve in the open position. If this makes any sense to you, do you think the "Gross-Jets" will cure my problem ? Thanks Jim.
    Ron
    p.s. The Zenith carbs and aluminum fuel tanks are new and crudless.
    p.p.s. Anyone else have a solution (other than soften the springs? :D)

Attached Files:

3. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Ron

I've only had one cup of coffee......

Couple things ..... have you put a level on things to make sure that is OK?

If you can turn each carb upside down and blow into the fuel inlet no air should pass the needle and seat

Did you shake and weigh the floats?

Are the needle and seat the same number on both? Look at the tip of the needle for wear

Switch the needle and seats, floats and see if it still leaks in the same carb..... 1st needles only then, then seats, then floats and make sure the float axles are not woren

Make sure the linkage isn't forcing one carb over full open

If everything above is correct then I'd switch to Groose jets

Please remember I'm not a Ford guy just a mechanic

If the problem is still there you Then machine o-ring lands in the carbs and isolate them by using Weber card spring washers. These ae=re a flat wound spring DON'T BIND THE SPRING BY CLOSING IT COMPLETELY!!!
    I would wipe a little Hylomar on the o-ring. Permatex sells it in small tubes. Major auto parts stores sell it. Here I buy it in UK Gal cans

Instead of softer springs you can switch to softer mounts. There can be made with Devcon pourable rubber comes in several 'dops'

You should be able to rock the engine by hand. Make sure when your rocking the engine that the carb linkage isn't effected AT ALL!

Has you brain exploded yet :D??

Get to work buddy and good luck.

4. Bluto; Thank God you didn't have two cups of coffee :D !!
    Thanks for all of this , I really appreciate you taking the time.
    I will let you know what the problem was ( I hope):eek:.
    All the best.
    Ron
    p.s. "Just a mechanic" .....ya, right.

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

My Dodge Bros engine has been slowed by a lack of cam timing gears. But that seems to be getting done at last. We fitted the starter yesterday. Lots of those small details to finish. I am going to let some surgery medical practitioner, practice on me, pretty soon. And I hear that I'll be down for a while. Sucks a lot.

6. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Good luck with the surgery Rich. I hope all turns out well.

7. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

out of curiousity, have you tried the guy here in the bay that makes the brass Model T timing gears? (Dan McEachern?) maybe he could whip out a set?

I am going back to get my masters, which i hope gives me default full access to the academy's maching shop, which has all the equipement for cutting gears, maybe up for cutting your own?

hope all goes smoothly with what ever you are up too.

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

By the way, due to my first race car being an American Austin pickup with a Crager in High School. And my recent thoughts of rounding the circle. Look what I bought. Would this be cute running a Chevy 4 or what? Time will tell

Attached Files:

9. HotrodVon

HotrodVon

Neato little car Rich... Good luck with the "tune-up!"

Keven-

10. noboD

noboD

Rich, I understand DBs fit in baby pickup truck too. Good luck on the mend. There's a reason they call it practiseing medicine.

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The DB is for the roadster and getting close. The bantam, who knows. And there is still another Studebaker in the mix. This guy better be good with a knife.

12. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

Pulled the head off my Canadian March of 1928 block to find that it's 0.80 over, what would the CI be on it? Kinda makes sense to why it has a model B head and carb. Thanks

13. Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  14. RussTee

RussTee

September banger meet Are We There Yet

15. Go for it Russ :)
    Ron

16. RussTee

RussTee

BHT8BALL gets the honour its up and running

17. ebtm3

ebtm3

18. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

1500 mile trip in my coupe with banger . awesome & no problems . 55-60 mph all the way ....................

19. Is there a link to August 2013 banger meet. I searched but could not find the thread.

Thanks

20. Jiminy

Jiminy