Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1954 Chevy 210 project '13

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tolo2go, Aug 19, 2013.

1. tolo2go

tolo2go

Not sure how deep this project will take me...I just bought a 1954 Chevy 210
    4-door. The seller says that "This car is solid, no rust in the normal spots." I bought new carpet and found that there is a small amount here and there (about 5 all smaller than a softball) Should I just patch them for now? If so, should I cut it out and weld in new or just throw a patch over it and call it good? Thanks.

2. Squablow

Squablow

Never weld a patch over the top of anything, cut the areas out and make a filler panel that fits inside the hole you cut. But I don't see any issues piecing in 5 spots if they're all fairly small and the metal around them is solid. No real need to replace the whole floor just for that.

Many times, small holes in the floor turn out to be the areas right above the body mounts, which fill with dirt and rust out. If that is the case, make sure to clean out the mounts when you cut the pieces out, and repair any rot you may find in the mounts before you put the carpets in.

3. tolo2go

tolo2go

Thanks, that is what I knew I needed to do. I just needed to get it from someone else. The car seems to be solid everywhere else. I don't think it will be that bad.

4. Professor Fate.

Professor Fate.

Pretty sure it will take you all the way to the bottom of your pockets, and then some.

5. tolo2go

tolo2go

So far it has been a great driver. I have not sat down long enough to budget it out yet. I just know that I would like to go faster than 55mph, but the three on the tree is cool. This winter the motor is coming out. What could I do to pick up some speed? Looking to go faster not get to top speed quicker.$$$We will make more money tomorrow.$$$

6. Squablow

Squablow

If you have a 3 speed stick car with stock running gear and want to increase your top speed without screaming RPM's, find a rearend from a '54 that had Powerglide. They have a better top-end speed gear ratio in them and are a direct bolt-in swap so you won't have to replace your torque tube. Don't pay too much for it either, many of them hit the scrap pile when guys install open drive rearends so they can usually be had for $100 or less in good useable shape.

7. tolo2go

tolo2go

Thanks, I will be on the lookout. What about a cam? I already have the intake and header to wake the motor up.

8. Squablow

Squablow

You can get more horsepower out of the motor that way, and that's not a bad thing, but what kills those stovebolts is turning too many RPM's in normal driving. Tall tires also help, not sure what you're currently running.

A bigger cam is a good idea if you plan on running multiple carbs on pretty much any engine.

9. tolo2go

tolo2go

Thanks for the RPM Stovebolt killer warning. When it is time for tires I will keep diameter in mind.