Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gil Alaya Roadster shows up at Bonneville

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by patina steve, Aug 18, 2013.

1. patina steve

patina steve

The "Gil Alaya" Roadster ran at El Mirage in 1946 now owned by Bob Beenenga from Tonica Ill. showed up on the salt this year

Attached Files:

2. Lets enlarge the photo.

Zowie! HRP

[​IMG]

3. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

Now that is cool. Wishing I was there.

4. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Great looking car. Amazing that so many of these treasures have survived.

Nice.

5. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

historic and epic..really is a hard as nails ride

6. Damn.... im bummed I missed it ! When did it show up ?

7. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

saw it sitting in the pits most of the week

8. I had to do a quick trip,so I left monday.Just my luck........missing an Ayala original.

9. I seen it in the pits and was totaly blowen away.....Coolest roadster on the salt this year by far....

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

11. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Attached Files:

12. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

That thing is cool.

13. 24 Dodge

24 Dodge
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't believe I missed it also, there were so many cool cars everywhere, the Nugget show on Saturday was awsome

14. ...did Glen Allen own this awhile?

15. This has really bothered me,that I missed this.Does anybody know if it was there opening weekend ? There really are so many killer hot rods there and i'm not an expert on old hot rods,if it would of been an Ayala custom........I would of had a better chance at spotting it .Thanks again for the great picture.

16. sodas38

sodas38

Wow, that car is bitchin!

17. thats what it says in the link.
    Al.

18. I hear he is working on a killer 5 window. I'm excited to see it on the salt next year.

Fenderless

19. TERPU

TERPU

That car was completely Bitchin'! I drooled all over it. The super cool lady sitting by it let me fondle it as much as I wanted and then let me know her husband would be back in a munute for questions. It was so nice to see this car. What a fine example of what we all strive to achieve. Car was amazing and the story of its survival were wonderful.

Tim

20. robert beenenga

robert beenenga
    from tonica ill

:cool:The Gil Ayala Roadster, showed on the salt on Saturday Morning, there all week, while we were racing, the Steve Laugtug belly tank 3131, Glen Allen used to own the car, more complete history of the car at a later date, thanks BOB

21. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't bag on me too hard, but what, aside from the Ayala history, is so breathtaking about this car? I see a Deuce roadster minus fenders, "bones" in their stockish locations, minimal interior, no top, different headlights. Now I know a good 32 rdstr is big dollars today, but one could do this car in appearance very simply. Is that it? I sincerely would like to know. Glad it survived, and I'm sure the motor's hopped up per the "menu" of the day's speed parts. Lets have it...

22. moonlight graham

moonlight graham
    from wyo

I think for me, the car says: "Been there, done that" in an understated way, kinda like an old pair of bluejeans.

Geoffrey

23. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Thank you....
    Maybe its just something that has to be seen in person that isnt portrayed in that pic.

24. A car that was ran in 1946 by Gil Ayala and still driving on the salt today.Very impressive in my opinion. This car IS what a lot of hot rods out there wish they were.

25. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

that car is sick.. awesome history behind it too

26. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Can someone scan the page of the Veda Orr book that has this car in it ?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Such an amazing piece of history. Love it!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. Tatorboy

Tatorboy

I've seen this car running by the cornfields in Illinois. It looks great on the salt also!

My message to the Highlander is that when this car was built, you didn't go out and skim through 60 years of car magazines to get ideas. This car was built in the very early days of hot rodding. Also the fact that all previous owners have cared enough about this car for 67 years to keep it intact and in good enough shape that it can still be driven today says a lot! It's the HISTORY that makes it what it is!

29. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for not kicking me in the balls folks. I get the history, and perhaps more than most thanks to the focus of my career, restoration. I was also very fortunate to be born to a man who never used a phone or credit card to go racing or build a hot rod. Now all of that said, I can see where "who" has a bigger draw to this car than "what". It's clearly not a one-and-only, sure fits the blueprint of it's days, and now the blueprint for many who'd like to follow in those foot steps. Gut it, strip it, hop it up. Sure sounds easier than going through a catalog to me. Sometimes we make things harder than they need to be. Thanks again...