Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Has anyone built their own interior door panels ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chromeazone, Aug 18, 2013.

1. coupe man

coupe man

I used regular upholstery board and it is effected by moisture.Next time I'll use abs, pvc or some other kind of plastic.I think it will hold up much better

2. dcs13

dcs13

I bought my stuff here:
    http://www.larrydennis.com/
    Here are the panels I did on my last project. All materials from above.
    [​IMG]

Did the back seal myself as well...
    [​IMG]

3. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used both masonite and plas-tek panel (from Menards, Lowe's, etc) with great results. Like the plastic in a roadster since it has and will get wet. Think Back to the 50's this year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. burgessdg

burgessdg
    from Morris, Il

I like the idea of the Lexan. Especially being able to see thru it on the layout. Caution here is that it has to be "Lexan" or similar. Lexan is a polycarbonate, not to be confused with "Plexiglas". Plexiglas and it's similar products is a polymethylmethacrylate. What's the difference? Plexiglas shatters, Lexan does not. One of Lexan's first uses was on fighter jet canopies. As I said, Lexan does not shatter, does not crack, if anything, it stretches. I challenged a guy that he could not crack a piece of 1/4" Lexan with a 5 lb sledge. He put it on a 2" thick maple workbench that was fully supported and took several whacks at it. I think the 5th whack, he cracked the maple bench in half. Lexan... just dented, never cracked.

I used 1/4" plywood in the past. I liked the plywood vs anything else because of being able to staple. Maybe not as much of a concern now with all the glues available.

My 2 cents,
    Dan

5. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I used PCV sheeting 1/8 thick in my convertible. I used it because it is waterproof, and easy to cut with a sabre saw and a fine tooth blade

6. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

Very cheap Menards paneling.[​IMG]