Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Hoopty Build: '53 Ford Mainline

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by V8Vixen, Aug 19, 2013.

1. V8Vixen

V8Vixen
    from South FL

Hey all. Don't get to post on here much but my boyfriend and I are finally really digging in to this car I bought over a year ago and figured it was a good time to post up a build thread (I also have a lot of video coverage that I'll be putting together later... budding videographer haha). This is basically a budget build (not my only "toy", gotta pay mortgage, etc!) so keep that in mind...This is my first 'old car'. Before it I built a 2003 Mustang GT and my current daily is a 2013 Mustang GT. I've always loved the classics and was finally at a time when I could get my hands on one and enjoy it!

So here's some info: it's a 1953 Ford Mainline Tudor Sedan. It has the 215ci L6 with a 3 on the tree. Here's the car as I bought it:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It didn't run. I was told it needed a new starter, so ordered one. We got it out and it wasn't actually the starter itself but a retaining washer snapped on the starter drive assembly (and after searching high and low we had NO luck finding one so it is now welded together)

[​IMG]

Got it on the road, drove it to a few local meets, etc. Then the fuel pump died. Whoops. I was worried I had a big expense ahead (I'm used to late model Mustangs...) but it wasn't bad and I even keep a spare in the trunk now. Otherwise the thing runs clean.

I am not a fan of red so the steelies went black.

[​IMG]

The seats were covered with the standard Mexican blankets, but not my style so I ordered some more subtle blankets and am re-wrapping the seats (and cleaning up the carpets while they're out). I made new door panel skins from glitter vinyl in pink while I ran some temporary pink and gray blankets, but I will be redoing them again to match the current setup (black most likely). I also replaced the shift knob (I'm a big horror movie fanatic) as well as the steering wheel (I loved the stock wheel, however it was a bit large for me in turns, etc so I opted for a smaller wheel). I also got rid of the iron cross side view mirror and got a stock rear view mirror.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did a little revamping in the engine bay. Painted the valve cover, new oil filler cap, new valve cover gaskets, new intake/exhaust gaskets, new air cleaner, painted the block, sandblasted the manifolds and sprayed them black.

[​IMG]

2. V8Vixen

V8Vixen
    from South FL

The suspension was done very half-assedly... I wouldn't even call it budget, more hacked. The front springs were cut so much that it would bottom out at any given time. The spring could be taken out with no compressor at all. The rear was ok, lowered on 3" blocks but they were pretty worn down and all 4 shocks were blown. SO, I got a set of Aerostar springs and the correct aftermarket shocks (front and rear) for lowered vehicles as well as a set of 4" blocks and a set of A-arm spacers for the front.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whoever had the car before installed a dual exhaust setup with big tips and flame throwers... but ran the pipe right under the transmission drain plug so my boyfriend made a new stainless single outlet exhaust for it. It's dumped before the bumper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tires are pretty good Coker Classics, just needed some cleaning love. Some Bleche-White, a brush and a hose worked wonders. I was in awe actually.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

The exterior is rough, but workable. Plans are for a full paint job in the future but for now just doing what I can. Fender skirts was the first thing. Made a nice change. Right now we are redoing the bumpers and the grille (the grille that came on the car is from a Buick.. it didn't fit right and I hated it... I hated it so much! lol). We've made a floating bar grille from a pipe and 2 dummy lights. We rounded the hood corners. We also brought the bumpers in closer to the body and shaved the bolts. The bumpers are a disaster. We tried beating them into shape as best as possible but they are just dented (and not to mention pitted) to hell. Chrome is far out of the budget (Oh how I wish!) so for now they will get painted silver. We've smoothed them as best as possible, so que sera sera. Anything will look better than what was on there, IMO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When designing the grille, we went through quite a few placements both on the car and in Photoshop to decide where and how we were going to set it up. Big thanks to Mike (THEKID49) for his input!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Photoshop render:

[​IMG]

How the car is now, in progress (shooting for completion this weekend):

[​IMG]

3. V8Vixen

V8Vixen
    from South FL

We're also frenching the headlights:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And putting in some Lincoln door buttons (previous owner shaved the doors but the solenoids were trashed and where they filled the hole just "fell in" basically).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think that's it for this budget build for now... I will have more pics and video in the next coming couple of weeks. We're trying to get the car in somewhat presentable condition for the big Salvagerz Run and Anniversary party.

Thanks for looking.

4. Rob68

Rob68

Looks very cool, especially the shot of the new steering wheel. Ha, just kidding. Good luck with it!

5. deto

deto

good thread. i dig it

6. dragonknucks

dragonknucks

If you haven't already, come join the 52-59 ford group! The guys would love to see your car! I really like it!

Rocky

7. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Good job on this thread and the car.

8. guitard

guitard

You're rocking that ride in a mighty fashion. Everything is better so far. What a great car... classic example of seeing the potential in something and carefully going through it one smaller project at a time. Very smart.

9. V8Vixen

V8Vixen
    from South FL

Thanks guys :) definitely enjoying it.

And dragon, I am a member :) I posted this in there as well!

I have learned a lot just lurking on here. Most of the ideas and tech have come from other threads/members.

10. dragonknucks

dragonknucks

I saw your post right after I posted here. Sorry about that!

11. V8Vixen

V8Vixen
    from South FL

No worries thanks for lookin' out

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats - all of the hard work that both of you are doing is paying off-looks great.
    for those that are inspired by your car I have my 1954 2 Door Sedan For Sale here.

13. Colombo

Colombo

Dude, this is looking good.. Where did you get the control arm spacers and Lincoln push buttons? I have a 54 Customline and I need that front end lower.

14. V8Vixen

V8Vixen
    from South FL

15. V8Vixen

V8Vixen
    from South FL

Oh and I happened to find the previous owners and sale threads for the car on other forums... These pics are old (well before I got it obviously)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and this little video...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whXlYk6jOLQ

16. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

hey liking this a lot. getting ideas for my 53 mainline. like the door push buttons.

17. V8Vixen

V8Vixen
    from South FL

18. Bcometfx

Bcometfx
    from NC Indiana

Lookin great! Love the 52-54 fords. Have a 54 myself.

19. V8Vixen

V8Vixen
    from South FL

Thanks!

It's funny, I never noticed/saw the 52-54s before and now that I have one, I notice a lot of them.

20. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When and if you get around to it, please post on how it rides and handles with the Aerostars and spacers. I just put a set of Aerostars on my '51. Everything turned out great, but I'd like to get another inch lower. I figure I can either cut the springs or use the spacers. The spacers look good on your car. BTW, I think everything you've done on it is an improvement.:)

21. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Subscribed. I like where this is going.

22. V8Vixen

V8Vixen
    from South FL

I already test drove it with the setup and it was infinitely smoother than with the cut springs setup. I only drove around the block, though. We are doing a small run (about 40-50 miles) at the end of the month so that will be the true test. I'll be sure to report back on the ride. I will most likely be taking video as well.

23. V8Vixen

V8Vixen
    from South FL

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377314606.281380.jpg Just a quick update... Getting closer...

24. coonster

coonster
    from nw

love it keep up the good work!

25. V8Vixen

V8Vixen
    from South FL

Been working on it every day and were just a couple days from being ready to rock. Got the rear side glass in. Seats are in with seatbelts now (yay safety...). Front end is pretty much done just have to wet sand and respray a couple spots. Lincoln door button installed. Camber kit installed. New moons even!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. chaddilac

chaddilac

Lookin' good!!! maybe I'll see it next time I'm in Florida?! :)

27. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

looks much better

28. V8Vixen

V8Vixen
    from South FL

Thanks :) and for sure! :) Once it's road ready it'll be out and about as much as possible haha.

29. chaddilac

chaddilac

maybe I'll bring my pinstriping stuff?? :D

30. V8Vixen

V8Vixen
    from South FL

Do it up!