Register now to get rid of these ads!

TH350 leak

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BaBa, Aug 19, 2013.

1. BaBa

BaBa

When I started thinking about building my truck, I had the TH350 rebuilt that was going to go into it. Trouble is the project didn't start for 15 tears. Now that the truck is finished, the trans leaks, probably from sitting around all those years the seals dried out.
    Most of the leaking seems to be in front near the torque converter so I think it is the input seal?
    Is this something that can be easily fixed or do I need to take it back to a trans shop?

2. Pull the tranny and replace the seal, or pay someone else to do it for you.

3. birdman42

birdman42

Could also be the o ring around the pump. I saw that a lot when I was working in a tranny shop. Pull the pump and do a complete reseal.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. deto

deto

also make sure its not leaking out where the kick down cable goes into the trans above the pan.

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If it is leaking will it is just setting its probable the o ring around the pump.
    You may need some help with this if you dont know all the tricks.

6. EZ Cool

EZ Cool
    Alliance Vendor
    from Slaton TX

over time the fluid will leak out of the torque converter into the pan over filling it. Then it will leak from the dip stick tube and/or the kickdown cable. Driving it regularly will keep this from happening. And like mentioned it could be the front pump oring or seal.

7. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Dipstick tube o-ring is dried up.

8. BaBa

BaBa

It seems to be leaking out of the converter cover. When there is a drop at the small hole in the cover, when you wipe it away another drop forms at the hole.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  9. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

take the inspection cover off and wipe down the inside of the bell housing. Then using an inspection mirror see where the leak is coming from. If it is running down the inside of the bell housing, then it probably is either the front seal or the pump gasket.

10. i agree w/ willys

isnt to bad replacing ( the seal or the gasket ), once the tranny is out .....

11. Replace three parts: large o-ring, pump gasket and front seal (for torque converter) make sure there is no rust or pitting on the torque converter hub.

12. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

Daarn, just when I know the answer I'm late to the party...what Rick and others said pump oring get's hard ...replace the 3 pieces

13. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Here is some good advice: When the transmission is out, replace the following too:

Dipstick tube o-ring
    Second gear accumulator cover o-ring (These things go bad, especially if near exhaust)
    Rear seal

If ambitous, replace vacuum modulator o-ring, governor seal, linkage seals, speedo seal.

Make sure vent is clean too.

IOW's, reseal it!