Register now to get rid of these ads!

T confiscated because of engine number?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Noah*, Aug 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Lot of speculation going on on this thread starting with the engine is stolen.

The whole things sounds a little suspicious to me, most states possesion of stolen property lands you in jail. It is just a fact of life.

Now onto bigger and better things. I would not expect that anyone would go to court without an attorney with a possesion of stolen property charge against them. Never the less incase there is anyone that dumb on the HAMB Bobss396 advice is good advice. When you go to court with a possesion charge against you they don't normally just take your stolen property from you they sentence you to marriage with bubba.

2. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Yeah.. that's it.. because all Police are thieves at heart..
    I'd assume that engine was "hot" if I saw it for sale.. Or--something else was up with it--that's not a production-made obliteration of an engine stamping--but rather someone else with a hammer and punch trying to cover up something. Probably done a long time ago as a grinder would have been more thorough.
    I'm also assuming the OP wrote his original and follow-up message with some passion and angst as I would as well. But-I would like to know if the OP was issued a citation for the charge of "possession of stolen property" and booked at the PD.
    Let us all know what happens on your court date

3. pregrid

pregrid

Very Curious 'bout the outcome on this one..................................

4. vw tim

vw tim

Here's a story of what happened to me recently. I and some friends bought 4 cars from an estate. Paper work was lost but all 4 came with a signed bill of sale with all applicable numbers. Before the purchase, I ran the VINs and all came up clean. These cars had been sitting in a backyard for 25 to 30 years. Fast forward 6 months and there are detectives at my front door asking about one of the cars. Three of the four had been sold by this time. I was not home but my wife was and called me. I spoke with the cops the next day and it seems the person we had bought the cars from (whose name was on the paperwork) was the nephew of the deceased previous owner. The brother of the previous owner had gone to the cops and claimed these cars were stolen from him. Now, he had no proof of ownership but the PD still had to check it out. I still had a car in my possession and after the PD looked at it they wanted to impound it. I let em have it and it sat in impound for a month. The detectives told me in a case like this, they do have the power to waive all the storage fees and in the end, they did it for me. It turns out the other uncle had a problem with the nephew selling the cars and then called the PD. I had a long correspondance VIA texting with the nephew during the negotiations for these cars and I had kept it in my phone all this time. This proved that the nephew had been in contact with the uncle and had permission to sell these cars legally! I went to the detectives with this information and they have an obligation once the theft report is filed to come up with a solution,either follow through with the evidence,or recommend everything gets dropped. They present their findings to the DA and then they decide whether or not to follow up. Once they decided that we were on the up n up, everything was dropped. The supposed owner had no proof of ownership and had given the nephew permission to sell them. I think what happened is the nephew either didn't pay him or maybe didn't give him all the money and the uncle got pissed. I mean check it out,cars are bought and resold and 6 months down the road they get reported stole? wtf? Moral of the story is no matter what, someone can still file a stolen car report and cause you a big headache down the road. I ALWAYS keep texts,phone numbers and ANY info on people I deal with on cars,parts,etc. I will also email these details to myself so I cannot lose them if my phone gives up the ghost. If I wer the owner of this HOTROD I would get the motor pulled,get youer car safe, and ask the detectives if they can possibly waive the fees because it's obvious to them you are not the criminal here. Good luck! cheers!

5. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

Sorry to hear this. I hope everything works out. But to be honest this is what you get when you try to do things the honest right way nowadays.

6. Vintage Warrior

Vintage Warrior
    from TX

What proof did this tool provide?

7. Actually one would not be giving the engine to the cop anyway it would become property of the state and then the original owner would have a chance to claim it.

I spent a night in the San Francisco County jail once because the cop said my bike had too many numbers on the motor even though I had an original MO title in hand that clearly stated the number on it. After someone bailed me out it was straight to the lawyers office and he got my bike out of impound before it got stripped. I still had to make a court appearance because possesion of stolen property in the value range of my motor cycle was a felony.

8. Vintage Warrior

Vintage Warrior
    from TX

How many SBC block stampings have been restamped or left off after machining? Countless. This cop, like most, is a tool.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  9. hoodprop

hoodprop

I have read most of this post. As a former junk yard manger I will let you lnow Chevy 350 do have the last of the vin stamp on the front passenger side of the engine on the little pad. The ID on the rear of the block lets you know 2-main 4 main and a rough year of when it was produce. The id the is beat to hell on this motor is odd because of the large print of the numbers. I could not even take or sell a motor like that. I dont remember the exact year but the did start ecthing vin number on any part the could to tie it back to a vehicle for the simply reason if the car does get chop up and sold. It is a bad situation to be in. I had a customer that bought a front clip for his OT from a gut offline. Had it inspected and the cops saw the vin on the parts ran the numbers and the front clip was off a stolen vehicle. It sucks and you are no the first victim. Hopefully the orginal will say keep what good is it without the rest of the car.

10. Well if you don't have one the next best thing is to be one.

11. wex65

wex65
    from WV

I will assume you have had to deal with quite a few then with your being able to make such a statement...

It is rare that those that are "unfortunate" enough to come into constant contact with the police view them in a positive light.

This thread stopped being useful after about the first page which had all the feedback the OP needed.

12. At this point everything is going to be speculation. Until the OP gets his car back and gets a lawyer to get some answers even he won't be able to say for sure what the deal is here.

13. 312 replies. Maybe 3 of them are helpful, the rest are rehashings of the 3 useful posts and the rest are anecdotal stories of "what happened to me or my bro" and to tell us what tools cop are (does anyone still call people "tools"?).
    1. Get the car
    2. Leave the engine
    3. Try to get it back
    4. Don't waste a lot of your time doing so
    That's it, no more. Nada. Finito. End of story.

14. Vintage Warrior

Vintage Warrior
    from TX

By the latest shared logic, posts 311 and 313 are among the useless. That's for clearing that up.

15. 117harv

117harv

Close the thread, when the OP gets it all sorted out, maybe he can have it opened and tell us what the outcome is.

16. rusty28a

rusty28a

I had an off topic car with a sbc stolen about two decades ago. If the engine was found, I would like it back and thank the officer for finding it.

17. Perhaps, but no where near as useless as your substandard observation
    That's for clearing that up. (?!?!?!?)

18. I personally thought that everything that I had to say was very useful. maybe not timely or even useful in this particular thread but useful in the proper setting.

And just to be on the record i personally donot care for police officers in general, this is not to say that I have not met a few over the years that I did deem of some value but in general most are about as useful as a condom with a hole in it.

I just thought that I would clear that up just in case there was any doubt in anyone's mind on the matter. :D

Hitchhiker likes this.
  19. dirtracer06

dirtracer06

Im still waiting to see if Noah received a call back yet...

20. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Hit the nail on the head. Too much drama.
    Jay

21. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

22. Vintage Warrior

Vintage Warrior
    from TX

Carl sets the standards around here. Clear it with him.

23. This has proved more interesting then it started out to be

24. Vintage Warrior

Vintage Warrior
    from TX

There are a number of SBC cars on the road with VINless engine blocks after being decked. There isn't any reason for anyone to be in a twist over this unless something out of the ordinary has been left out of the story.

25. Nope...he gave up on it & built an ark.

26. wicarnut

wicarnut

I thought keeping up w/ reading the posts was entertaining, Its always fun for me, and I'm sure to others, to read what my fellow "Hot Rodders" think on different subjects.... Oh No! added another useless post. Sorry. John

27. Nonstop

Nonstop
    from CA

This thread has gone to shit. According to the OP's post he should have an appointment to pull the engine today. He is out a potentially stolen SBC. Sorry to hear it, but it is an SBC. Should have no problem finding another.

If the cop did nothing about it, half the d-bags bitching about the cops on this thread would be then bitching that the cops did nothing. As previously posted, we had a long thread about a car being recovered after how many years. The car had been sold numerous times and the common response IIRC was that after all this time the owner should be able to get it back, the current owner has no right to own it, etc.

This has the potential to be the same situation. The engine sounds like it is being held for observation as it is suspected stolen property. More than likely, if they suspected the OP of knowingly possessing stolen property, he would have been impounded with the car. He is getting the opportunity to get his property back.

Put this thing to bed already.

28. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Here's another angle ,,Few years back i had a G M truck with one of those rattle on start up motors,,, G M. Replaced the short block under warranty with a factory new shortblock,, it had a clean pad, When i asked about pad numbers they said WAS NOT Necessary,, Did not believe them so letter sent to Chevrolet motor division, Reply was same Not necessary,,, So not sure if that is actually right or wrong.

29. I have always been the benchmark for honesty, good taste, subtle wit, genius level intelligence and, most importantly, humility:D

30. Vintage Warrior

Vintage Warrior
    from TX

You could post the station and cops name. I'd like to avoid him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.