Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need wheelbase advice. Model A frame build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ault, Aug 15, 2013.

1. A Rodder

A Rodder

^ that's inspiration right there^

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

A Rat with 20" Wheels !! Wrong forum for sure.

3. shotrod

shotrod

Mine in my avatar is 110"

4. "long look" = clown car. You will really impress 'em at the cars shows when it takes 3-4 tries to shuffle into a parking spot.

5. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Lose those wheels and use rectangular tube for your frame.
    I have 116" wheel base on my T pickup, pic attached for your information.
    Anything much over 120" has trouble being low and practical...

Attached Files:

6. Ault

Ault
    from Cincinnati

Not saying you have all changed my mind but that 106" coupe has got me thinking hard. I do understand that most of you are against my original idea but this is why I posted the thread...to learn and to understand better. Thank you all for the help and I will take all the advice I can get to aid me in this build.

7. cederholm

cederholm

Ha! Spit out some coffee on that one! It does look a hell of a lot better tho.

8. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I feel you're on the edge of a good decision. Here are more angles to help :)

I should add that the cool thing about this car being short wheelbase with a stiff frame, traditional spring-over and '40 ford cross-steer is that it hauls ass and is VERY stable. It handles like a Porsche, which was completely unintentional but very welcome when I discovered it! I driven some of the long, suicide suspension cars and they were a little scary. Doesn't mean they can't be set up good but they'll never drive like this. Oh and I guarantee I have less $ in this car than most people do in their hot rods.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steering

[​IMG]

9. Mine was built on a 2x3 frame to the exact length deminsions of a stock Model A. I had to cut the firewall but I can still use the original gas tank on my 31 coupe. The stock length looks right and also in my eyes makes the car look super tough and squat. Looks ready to pounce instead of looking like a semi trailer.

10. rebelrun

rebelrun
    from deep south

Lets put it in perspective.

When those absurd long wheelbase choppers came out, every clown with more money then sense had to have one. Even though they turn like crap, or not at all. Even though they are useless for anything other the. Going straight. Even though they look beyond clownish. Folks still rode them.

Builds here tend to Stick to what the designers and engineers created. It's for safety, handling and overall appearance. You take from all this what you will. But if you build an unsafe frame that does not steer correctly you put everyone one on the road next to you at risk.

Looks come second to safe steering angles and proper suspension set up. Or at least they do to me.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. powrshftr

powrshftr

I think the point that most guys are making on here is that the reason most of these cars are being built to this fad of long and low is simply to grab attention just by being longER and lowER than the last guy's car,and proportion,engineering,function all take a back seat to building a functional,properlythought out car.These guys that are trying so hard to out do the last guy,that they don't realize they are building the next generation of cars that nobody will admit they owned five years from now.
    Traditional is timeless.Its always gonna look good.

Ps:Fudging things by an inch or two here and there in the name of buying yourself some space is something all of us do from time to time,but throwing an extra couple of feet into the wheelbase just seems like a huge mistake in my book.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. I haven't read every thing on this post but the short of it is there are a lot of different ways and a specific number isn't the best approch in my book. To me it's all about the Look and Old School type Rods should NEVER have an electric fan on them. On my 30 Roadster and on several cars prior my job 1 is to have a good motor fit when you look at them. I also Hate recessed firewalls. On my current project I started with the frame of choice and sat the Rad on it's mounts where it belongs. Then I mocked up the Motor of choice and sat the body on where it looked correct (to my taste) and that decided where the rear axle went. The rear tires must fit in the body fender relief. I have never yet measured the wheel base. It just don't matter to me. On this chassis being I have choices I'm running a 40 front axle to bring the tires back some to off set the longer motor compartment. These photos may be just a bit confusing. Yes there are 2 different chassis with the same body on them.
    The Wizzard

Attached Files:

13. Ault

Ault
    from Cincinnati

That thing is sexy as hell

14. kind of a weird low angle but maybe this will give you the idea of a stock dimension frame. Its running cross steer as well. Which has been stated already will hopefully make it handle like a dream. (ignore the wheel/tire combo. just my rolling wheels.) Also you can have a low car and not have it look cartoony or crazy.

PS thats my 5 year old daughter so that should give you something to judge the overall car against.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  15. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Henry got the wheelbase just right. You can fit a v8 in the hole with that much space, just recess the firewall. that one on fleabay is ugly in every sense of the word!

16. Ault

Ault
    from Cincinnati

More pics please. Thinking shorter now!

17. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. pitman

pitman

I followed the ejay$ path as well, it works out with good stance, eye appeal and safe handling. A break in a main leaf is a problem, rather than a disaster.

19. Ault

Ault
    from Cincinnati

Keep them coming

20. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 31.jpg
      31.jpg
      File size: