Register now to get rid of these ads!

ruckstell rear axel ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FANTM58, Aug 19, 2013.

1. FANTM58

FANTM58

What is a Ruckstell rear axel ?
    it is under a 26 T listed locally, ,and have seen or heard of these.

Attached Files:

2. If memory serves me correctly it is basically a 2-speed rear axle. Normally used in Ford TT trucks, I think.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  3. broderchamp

broderchamp

Ruckstell rearends were used in Moted T cars. I had one in my 24 touring which we drove across the US. We had Rockey Mountain brakes which had the shoes one the outside of the drums. They worked OK until it rained. The cost of them depend on the model adn condition. and if all the parts are included. I just sold a complete running chassis with a Rucksrtell for $1200

4. chopt49

chopt49

A Ruckstell is a two speed rear axle. It gives you a low, almost equivalent to holding in the low pedal. No overdrive

[​IMG]

5. The Ruckstell was advertized as giving the T four speeds. While true, it was really popular because of the intermediate gear it offered. With both the trans and the Axle in low, it was a crawler, good for climbing trees. The routine was to start out in trans low/Ruckstell high, then to trans high/Ruckstell low which gave you a second gear. Finally you shifted to high/high. It was a one man band.
    I once rode with Bud Hand, an old T driver and he could drive one like I've never seen. Perfect shifts, up and down, no lurching, it sounded like a hydro when he drove it

6. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

Also Axel in low trans in high you can cruise slow for a long time without your leg falling off.

7. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

It just struck me that one can apply the same principle to the later Ford banjo axles, i.e. incorporating a planetary gear between the ring gear and the differential, to create a much stronger assembly.

I've long had the idea of an underdrive that would give a short "launch gear", to be used with the main gearbox's first gear, that would offer a clean, clutchless shift to direct drive.

8. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Already been done ,called a "Columbia" axle.

9. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

If I remember correctly the Columbia is an overdrive, though, not an underdrive?

(To be quite honest I'd forgotten about the Columbia :eek:)

10. Thank you for that explanation. I remember my father talking about Ruckstell axles but I was under the impression they were used in TT's.

11. R Pope

R Pope

There were different sizes. The worm-drive Ruxtell was for TT's, the car and pickup size used the car ring and pinion. I have two of the car type rears and had a TT with one, too.