Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hemi heads for small block Chevy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lmurf, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Deuces

Deuces

Cool link!!... Thanks!

2. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

A friend of mine has one of the Leo Lyons engines and is planning on producing some of the heads.

4. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Do tell us more!!!!!

Mart3406
    =================

5. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

"Most of the exotic SBC head development efforts went into overhead cam conversions. But the simple fact is that the SBC is a near perfect design, and hemi heads did not offer much improvement."

That's really a hard one to swallow...hemi heads aside, the SBC is hardly a near perfect design. What it is is the engine which has had millions of hours of development put into it over 50+ years. There is no other engine that even comes close. The new LS series is proof of that - it shares very little in common with the SBC and outperforms it in every way.

6. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

7. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

8. Cool stuff but -

here's how I see it ...

If you really want a Hemi style combustion chamber, and you think it is the best chamber design, there's plenty of mopar hemis to chose from.

Hemis aren't cheap compared to a SBC but a built hemi engine is going to be cheaper in both initial cost and long run than a built SBC with exotic conversion head and associated parts.

9. Truckedup

Truckedup

First generation small blocks fitted with the latest aftermarket heads and cams are quite formidable.Yes,not as formidable as an LS, but..... I would like to see on such an SBC and a similar cubic inch Mopar hemi built for street use compared on a dyno..

10. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

But that's the point - they aren't stock anymore. The aftermarket pieces show significant changes from stock, not just minor changes.

I think it's been shown that neither the wedge shape of a Chevy nor the true Hemi is going to do best, but rather the pentroof shapes of the most modern engines (and lots of older motorcycles).

11. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

The Chrys 426 HEMI was a Hemi head retrofit for the RB engine and not clean sheet of paper design, Pushrod angles are really messed up.

12. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

Yeah they're so messed up, the alky boys can ONLY get 10,500 R.P.M. out of them.

13. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

We are talking about Chry iron 426's and not Brad motors

14. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

Don Ferguson makes a hemi head for the Chevy, cant remember if its a modified Ardun or the Lyons head. About 10 years ago the Lyons patterns were still around in SoCal and there were talks of them coming back.

This is my M/T hemi head for the SBC, though its a DOHC.

Attached Files:

15. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

Well, there's surely some monkey motion going on there, but it seems to have not held them back much. I like 'em.

16. Mickey Thomson made hemi heads for about one of everything at one point, I don't doubt that he made some.

17. Deuces

Deuces

Got anymore pics of that one??????...????:D

18. ckh

ckh

I was told that Don Ferguson purchased Leo Lyons patterns etc. from Walt Austin. Production to follow????? I am also friends with the person that cabriolethiboy mentioned. His detective work and persistence paid off and he obtained a very rare piece!

19. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

Here you go. They were part of M/T's Indy program in the early 60's.

Attached Files:

20. That is one goofy looking engine

21. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

I wish I could but I promised him I would not let out any of the details until he tells me it is OK. Sorry

22. chase knight

chase knight

Ron Still from Delaware ran a Top Fuel car in the late 60's with the Lyons hemi SBC heads. I believe that he has all the pieces today. Should be some pictures out there somewhere? Chase

23. Weasel

Weasel

Since this old thread has been revived....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Weasel

Weasel

More....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. I am pretty into 302's I have a pretty wild one myself and also am fairly knowledgeable on their history, but NEVER have I seen the factory hemi heads....really cool stuff!

26. Go visit the engine room at the Corvette museum in Bowling Green. They have some really cool "one-off" engines that you would kill for. I am not a chevy guy, but whoa....some of those engines are incredible. Hemi's, 3 valve, pent roofs, 4 valve etc. Wild stuff.

27. EARLYHEMIBILL

EARLYHEMIBILL
    from ?

Someone use to make phony hemi valve covers for the SBC. You might watch Ebay.

28. wood337

wood337

I've seen the Chevy/hemi deal at Walt Austin's shop...story I got while there was that Walt worked fairly long and hard to get the pattern and tooling and that it was a recent procurement for them. As far as production, I don't recall if any comment was made.