Register now to get rid of these ads!

Newbie Here

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Green AD, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Green AD

Green AD
    from Iowa

Hello?...........Hello?............Is this thing on?

After lurking for the last 6 months, I've taken the plunge and have screwed up enough courage to make this an initial post. Why do I need courage, you ask?

Well, see, when I was very much younger, I wanted to be a race car driver. All my life, I wanted to be a race car driver. Not the roundy round kinda race cars, but the left turn, right turn, uphill, downhill, second gear through 5th gear kinda race car. So, I lived and breathed Formula 1, and most kinds of European style road racing.

Which meant that I was heavily interested in European cars...........none of that greasy, oily Detroit Iron stuff. I wanted Aluminum! Magnesium! Titanium! Unobtanium! Fiberglass! I said stuff like.."shunt!"...driving "10/10ths!"...was "QUICK" through that section! I bought "tyres"...........

I actually went through all the phases of sports car competition, including autocross, rallies, and over time I earned and held a National Competition License for over 15 years. I owned, maintained and raced Formula Vees all during that time.

Then......you know.........LIFE happened, as it usually does.......

About a year ago, at age 58, my life happened REAL HARD. I had a stress-related heart attack and a TIA stroke within a relatively short period of time. Turned out I was physically the healthiest heart attack and stroke victim the local ER had ever seen. Guess what? Time to start something a little less stressful. No more 18 hour day consulting gigs, no more supervising and directing 12 IT Engineers, no more of the only thing I had known for the last 25 years.

On the home front, I had been whining to my wife about my unfulfilled wish to have a new pickup. I was fantasizing about my new red Silverado, with ALL the accessories, A/C. Cruise, King Cab, EVERYTHING! After almost 6 months of this, she finally caved and told me she had made arrangements for a new truck for me. She warned my it wasn't exactly NEW, but she was sure I would enjoy it. WTF?

My "new" truck was delivered anon. Not quite what I was expecting, but I could understand the vibe right away, and was thrilled! So, I now have a new passion in a 1949 Chevy pickup. We joke that it is in "kit" form, since it was delivered on 2 flatbed trailers.

So........to all my new friends............keep me sane and keep me stress-free. Teach me, I want to learn. Hell, keep me alive by distracting me. I'll do my best to contribute, but please bear with me on all the dumb questions I will be pestering you with! Looking forward to hearing from you all. Ask away!

2. Welcome from South Metro Atlanta area. What an intro. There's an "ADTruckers Group" you may want to be a part of. Found under the communities banner on the full site.
    I really enjoy hanging out here- you can learn a lot.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Green AD

Green AD
    from Iowa

Hey lango.......thanks for the heads up on the AD Truckers Group. Found it right away from your directions. I've been perusing some of the topics and have found them to be a great read.

As a "lurker" I never had access to any of the Community sites. Now I know the password and the secret handshake.

Cheers!

4. morebuns

morebuns

I bought a '50 3100 basket case at a swap meet, bought a "totaled" '91 GMC 4x4 for it's chassis, and mated the two . . . worked out great, a friend now drives it (traded for a ranch fence), and I'm up for a new project!

5. Green AD

Green AD
    from Iowa

I just wished I was that good. The previous owner of my "project" had his own ideas about how it should work. I've got an 80's vintage Camaro front end under it and a '79 Nova rear. PO used coat hangers for welding rod........

6. y3

y3
    from Terrell Tx

Welcome from northern AZ..That sounds like a perfect relaxing project.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. welcome aboard ....