Register now to get rid of these ads!

donut tire ok to run all the time

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by St. Louis Cummins, Aug 18, 2013.

1. St. Louis Cummins

St. Louis Cummins

I tried a search but guess I couldnt get it worded right. I know there was a thread about it before but cant seem to come across it.

2. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

No.... Its designed for under 50 mph and not long term....

It was originally a cost cutting measure by the auto mfg's

3. jkherd

jkherd

50 miles maximum distance, 50 mph maximum speed unless you want to test your liability insurance coverage. :eek:

4. 2racer

2racer

Donut spare tires are not made for extended service. They have no tread to speak of; the carcass or body of the tire is not reinforced and there is no tread belt to protect it from puncture. The tire is designed simply to get you home. Most of these tires offer a maximum life of 70 miles.

5. You can run it as fast and as far as you want on a wheelbarrow.

6. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

We did on the front of VW's back in the day. Didn't last very long but we never died from them.....

7. wsdad

wsdad

I'm just a guy on the internet with an opinion, but I used one for about a week once. Drove all over Arkansas with it. Maybe I was lucky but I drove 70mph and put about 1200 miles on it. It was on a 1991 Nissan pick up with about a 1400 pound load in the bed. About 5 miles of it was on gravel roads.

I don't know that I would use them as regular tires but they don't magically disintegrate at 50 miles and 50mph. I suspect the speed and distance restriction is more to save your differential and to keep Joe public from cornering at high rates of speed with reduced traction on one corner of the car.

8. elba

elba

Saw a car in Atlanta with four donuts !!

9. indyjps

indyjps

I've seen OT 5.0 mustangs run the space saver spares as front runners drag tires, the rim is spun aluminum and the tires are just space savers, pretty risky. I use the space savers as rollers in the garage, planty of room to work around them and don't take up much "space" when stored

10. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

Well, if you put donuts on your car, the police will start following you.
    What? Huh? Ohhhhhh........ wrong type of donut. My bad

11. 1952henry

1952henry

When I lived in Oregon, you would see 1-4 of them on tweaker's cars running around. They would probably get unlimited mileage from them.

12. fomocojoe

fomocojoe

:eek: I woulda had to photograph that...

13. 1967gt

1967gt
    from ohio

more BS questions , cluttering this great information site,, come on !

14. St. Louis Cummins

St. Louis Cummins

15. St. Louis Cummins

St. Louis Cummins

I needed legitimate information, and someone was kind enough to help me out.

Dont take up space bitching about my thread.

16. St Louis Cummins,
    I no this sounds like a smart assed answer but maybe try reading what it says on the side wall?

If you really want to run one MO is not a good place, my mom got a ticket on I-44 with on on a car she was in. She got a flat, changed the tire and was trying to make it to the next exit. According to the State Trooper the tire was not rated for Interstate speeds.

17. St. Louis Cummins

St. Louis Cummins

Yeah, no big deal. Im over it. Like I said I tried searching but comes to find out the actual thread I was looking for was about running the -wheel-. My fault.

18. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Run the rims yes, tires no, swapped them out to 165 15's. Poor mans skinnies.

19. txturbo

txturbo

I was doing 70 on a freeway in Houston several years ago and got passed by a Lincoln Town car with 4 donut spares on it!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!