Register now to get rid of these ads!

sand it or leave it.......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowrodderchev, Aug 18, 2013.

1. so a few years ago I painted my daily driver(51 fleetline) well the paint is started to chip off bad first it was peeling back around the edges of the hood and trunk but now I got some major potato chips going on mainly in one spot on the roof line what do you guys think sand it or leave it? Painting ain't a option right now I'll post pix tonight for those of you that need visual images thanx

2. You can clean it, sand it and then shoot some primer,at least it will look like you are working on it instead of neglecting the car. HRP

3. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Careful or you may be asked to do a thread on your rapid patina technique.

4. no fotina here guys just trying to finish my 57 truck first so moneys tight but at the same time the chipping away crap is bothering me a bit thought maybe someone had aidea might try the primered spot thing thanx

5. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

have any leftover? sand, spot prime and recoat.
    Or even dab it in with a paper match, wet sand and buff.

6. F&J

F&J

is it the green car? That green looks easy to mix up with Rustoleum, or maybe their green is close enough. Just brush it on in shade/cooler temps to lose the brush marks.

The enamel should act like adhesive to keep the flaking from getting worse.

Small spots of enamel won't be too much of a problem to remove later, for modern paintjob.

7. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Sand it and spray bomb it for now, or just get some cheaper Napa brand paint and fog it on till you can correct accordingly.

8. those all sound like good ideas I was just worried about blending but guess its better then chips

9. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

If the potato chips are loose, water will collect under them and speed up the rust process. Better to get 'em off, sand and at least prime.

10. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

....and seal.

11. indyjps

indyjps

Get some epoxy primer color matched / tinted to match you paint, sand out / blend out the chipped areas to get rid of the hard edge and shoot. When spotting in you can take some wide masking tape and roll it into a circle onto itself and edge the area, it prevents a hard tape line and will scuff in closer to surface.
    At least the reapair isn't so noticeable, you could scotchbrite the entire car for a medium gloss finish.

12. bomcadillac

bomcadillac
    from Las Vegas

Or just do the roof white. 50's cats look great with 2 tone white roof

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. no.scar.no.story

no.scar.no.story

White or light grey might make a nice two-tone roof job.

14. ooo white roof me like that idea

15. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

My 40 Ford Std. Coupe had a bad chip problem too. Like the paint on the entire roof "popped" loose in big chips and slid/fell to the running boards, cowl, and deck one night. AND I mean right down to bare metal or slick primer. In the next 3-4 days the bulk of the paint on the deck lid and the rear fenders followed suit. Only thing I could figure was that there was just too much paint on the car. After feathering some edges I discovered evidence of at least 6 different color coats including the OEM dull pea green, two distinct reds, a white, a blue, and thick primer coats between each one. I couldn't afford to paint the car and it was my daily driver so I sold it to a very enthusiastic professor of anthropology(or some such people thing) who planned on a nice paint job and making it his driver. A friend told me some years later that the car had rotted down in the guy's driveway. I tried to save it but passing the torch did not work.

16. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I would touch up the chips and bare spots with a brush. Build up thin coats, when it is dry carefully wet sand smooth and polish. Done properly the flaws become practically invisible, especially if you have a leftover can of the original paint. Even if you have to mix a color and it is a little off, once the spots are sanded smooth and polished they are nearly invisible.

17. Bwahahahahah.

I am with HRP sand it and prime it, it will show you got some class.

18. newstranger

newstranger

Feather it out, prime it, rattle can some "guide coat", and call it "in process".

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!