Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Kent Fuller's Quest

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 25, 2013.

1. My computer don't do vimeo/ video/ movies. Too bad.

2. Rad!!! That thing is gorgeous!!!

3. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

I just got a email on this and figured I would find something here.....I am in, Can't think of anything much better than being part of a team trying to break a land speed record. and the best part it is flathead powered!! I have never been to bonniville, But I am planning to go this year and this makes it even better.

4. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

So what's the latest? Is it going to run? I don't do facebook or twitter or that crap so haven't heard since I signed up for a buck or two.

5. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

I saw the car a couple of days ago. The SCTA made them cut the car to move the driver up to a better seating position and do away with the mirror system. Andy, the builder/driver, was over for dinner last night and said they plan to leave for the salt next Wed.

DW

6. firingorder1

firingorder1

That's one of the problems with Land Speed Racing. Flattery doesn't make HP and LSR people tend to talk straight.

7. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

so for those of us who donated to the project, how about an update?

8. lenmann

lenmann
    from NorCal

Just thinking the same thing...

9. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

April appears to be last time an update was posted on the HAMB about Fuller's project. For us guys who don't bother with Facebook, twitter and that crap, how about a posting telling us what the present state of play is. We would appreciate it. I also sent a PM to TheFullerKid.

10. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Interesting (the power of the HAMB?) we start asking what's up and I get this email last night, sent to all who pledged money on Kickstarter:

"This is a much deserved update on the Streamliner project. We have been hard at work these last few weeks getting the Streamliner ready to run, so please accept our apologies for temporarily going quiet on our end.

First of all, the car was completed in time for Bonneville (a feat we couldn't even imagine this time last year), thanks to all of you!

At the last minute, we encountered some engine problems that meant we had to hold off on running at Speed Week in August. This is the nature of the beast in racing (as many of you know) but don't worry, we are still running the car, and soon! We will be at Bonneville in October.

And, the team still went up to Speed Week and connected with the folks at SCTA, and we are in good shape for tech inspection in October."

11. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

I also notice the lack of info about what happened in the tech process. Someone posted on another Bonneville thread that the tech inspectors nixed the periscope feature and the body, cage had to be reworked to put driver in a more upright position with a direct view of the course. Was hoping to see some pics of "remodeling". Perhaps these were posted on Facebook? I don't do Facebook, twitter or any of that social media crap. The HAMB is as social as I get. I did see the email I got was the same as update #5 on the kickstarter page.
    Anyone got any more information?

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I don't do facebook either... Perhaps Fuller's crew could hop on the HAMB and update us... Given the opportunity we've provided, I don't think that should be a problem.

13. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

No update on his facebook..... June 21st was the last by anyone with him

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  14. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Hmmmm, crowd source funding needs to be two way street if it is to be embraced long term. I think Ryan's post today is spot on, hopefully Fuller's kids will see it and take the opportunity to post some updates, words and pics, to this thread.

15. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

olc,

Post #40, your avatar, shows an email from FullerKid outlining that the car did NOT go to Speed Week. The problem was a cracked block on startup, not repairable before the event. The Kid stated that they will be ready for World Finals in Oct.

Doesn't anyone read these things?

DW

16. We need shots of the car with the new cage.

17. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

I put up post #40, and posted the email in it I got that states what update #5 says on Kickstarter. My argument is the same. You in your post #45 in one sentence gave us more information than we pledgers got from the update. And we, at least some of us not in social media, are curious about the project, especially if the the liner had to be modified to eliminate the periscope and what it looks like now in profile. I just think in my old crotchety opinion, that if you raise $34,000 from the public to run your car at Bonneville, it wouldn't be too much to ask to get some real information on the project on a real time basis. As I said before, update #5 came out very soon after people on the HAMB started wondering and really provide nothing more than touchy feeley info. Just like build threads which are so popular on the HAMB, guess some of us expected something similar with this project. So I think, Dan Warner, your righteous indignation is misplaced on this topic.

18. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

Fair enough, I will go to the shop today when it gets too hot for yard work and see about some more recent posting.

DW

19. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I would like to know how the money was spent?or is this KS deal is like a LOC (bank note -letter of credit) that just escrows payment til conditions are met?

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I gave a pretty good chunk of change to the project... And I also gave the crowd fund around 10 million pageviews... And I don't care at all about how the money is used. I wouldn't have given them any if I did.

That being said, I do think it would be a good idea to keep us updated... And to keep us involved as much as possible. I know that's a pain the ass for them, but that's the price you pay. It ain't free money. :)

So yeah... Give us updates! Pictures! Involvement! Make us feel good about our investment!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. Jenna Fuller

Jenna Fuller

Hey everyone,

This is Jenna, Kent Fuller's granddaughter. I ran the Kickstarter project. Please accept my apologies for not posting specific updates sooner.

I've been putting together a more detailed update to send out next week, as we absolutely think you all deserve to see our progress and we want to share with you. It will be posted on our Kickstarter page, which is our main source of updates, and we will also link to it here.

I didn't realize how much information our friends were expecting on the HAMB until I spoke with Dan Warner this afternoon. Going forward, he will be our touch point on this site for questions, since he is in touch with the team on a regular basis. We will be posting more frequent updates through the Kickstarter page and our website, and Dan will relay these on the HAMB.

If you'd like to email the team directly, please feel free to do so by reaching out to the appropriate team member listed below. (You can also find this information through our website, http://kentfullerstreamliner.com/contact.)

Steven Fuller, Owner. [email protected]
    Andy Davis, Driver/Crew Chief. [email protected]
    Don Tubbs, Technical Director. [email protected]

Dan will be happy to answer questions on HAMB as well.

Thank you all so much for your support.

Look for our update early next week as to what's been going on the last few weeks to this point. We will also be posting weekly updates on our various websites this next month until we leave for the salt in early October.

22. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

well written response Jenna.... Thanks for the update

23. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

thanks much, appreciate the efforts to reach out.

24. Thanks Jenna.

25. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Any updates on the changes required by the SCTA?

26. firingorder1

firingorder1

That's a great photo his son is holding in the video. I was at Pomona when he brought that car out first. It was funny to see the tech inspector tell him the front end had no suspension and see Kent pick up one wheel about six inches off the ground. He ran that day. Hope you get past the SCTA's phobia about periscopes.
    [​IMG]

27. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

As I mentioned in an earlier post the team moved the driver up in the car, off his back, and ditched the periscope configuration at the SCTA Tech insistence.

Photos to follow of the current configuration.

DW

28. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

with World of Speed cancelled due to flooded track, will the car still have an opportunity to run this year?