Register now to get rid of these ads!

y block exhaust ? H pipe or x?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikhett, Aug 17, 2013.

1. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

I Need to set up an exhaust system for a 56 Fairlane 292.No headers should i go with an h pipe or x crossover.Plan on running Smittys mufflers.

2. A properly placed X pipe does help the exhaust scavenge so if they are in the right spot it should help make power. H pipes really just take the "drone" off the exhaust.

3. 2racer

2racer

none of the above

4. marman1950

marman1950

Not done often back in the days... If that matters to you. The classic rumble sound is only done with no H or X pipe....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. I don't have either one on my '56. Everything is fine...

6. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Just duals forget the H & X, too modern.

7. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

H isn't that modern, Ford first put a H on the T-Bird in 58 with the Galaxie starting in 60. I put a H on my 57 Y-Block and it really mellowed the tone. My opinion, made it sound much better.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  8. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

An H or X pipe will cancel out the cool "real duals" sound that V8's make, Mike. Won't sound like a Chis Craft any more. And don't use Flowmasters!!!!!!! Then it'll sound like a Mustang!
    If you really want to build a 50's style custom, it needs to sound like one, as well. You definitely aren't looking for a hot rod, with that heavy car and the Y block, so go for good looks and sounds.
    I use Brockman Mellowtones on almost all MY cars. I think they sound best. And keep the pipe size down to 2" or 1 3/4 for best sounds, as well.
    Sorry I missed you at the shop the other day!
    There used to be a couple advertisers in Hemmings selling complete stock exhaust systems for 2-300$. One even let you get glasspacks instead of stock mufflers. Very economical way to go.

9. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The x or h cross over will have it purr like a kitten if that's what you want.
    The y block sound can't be beat through duals with smittys and 1 3/4 pipes , music.

10. Good info here. What size pipe would the regular guy be using in 1958?

11. powrshftr

powrshftr

I run an 'H' pipe on everything I build.I find it seems to make the motor idle stronger,sound deeper and bassier,and take that raspy edge off the tone that I don't like.
    But like some have stated previously,relatively small diameter pipes,and that rappy sound are ultra traditional,and many guys really enjoy that kind of tone.
    It all comes down to personal taste.Both ways sound killer,it just depends which killer you're after.

12. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

I would also vote neither. Regular duals and will it sound good almost regardless of which mufflers you choose.

Mine on the 55 Mercury (292) are true duals with cheap mufflers and it sounds great. Maybe a little qute for some but I like it.

13. PackardV8

PackardV8

Sometimes you get lucky and true twin pipes sound good everywhere up and down the rev range. Sometimes you don't. Without an H/X-pipe, there is always the probability of a resonance at highway speed. If you get the combination of pipe diameter and muffler length just wrong, there'll be a drone which will have you wanting to sell it cheap after an hour on the interstate. That's why the H-pipe was developed.

FWIW, GM used resonator canisters behind the rear axle for many years. They were too far from the heat, so rusted out every couple of years.

jack vines

14. #Wideopen

#Wideopen
    from Downunder

I built an X pipe for my 292 powered F100, but built it so a could swap it out and run an H pipe or straight duels
    Like it so far has lost a bit of the classic sound but still sounds like a Y block, seems to go better and nice in the cab at 60 70mph

15. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I'm a traditionalist......Good ol' dual exhausts for your Y Block; They sounded great then, and will sound great nowadays !!

Happy Roddin' 4TTUK

16. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

x2 . . . exactly what I would have written.

If you want to keep it "traditional" then don't use a cross-over.

They sound a LOT better with an h or x pipe though IMO

17. samurai mike

samurai mike

i wondered about putting one of those electric cut outs in the h pipe. you could change the sound from old school to modern at will.

18. powrshftr

powrshftr

Now that is an interesting idea.
    I always thought of electric cut outs as just a tool to open the exhaust and scare ricer kids at stoplights,but using it to fine tune the exhaust sound like that is a neat idea.Me likey.