Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. rick finch

rick finch

2. rick finch

rick finch

3. 296ardun

296ardun

Thanks, Rick! (hope the surgery has healed!)...never seen this shot of the Gotelli car, details are amazing, Ted knew how to get first-class cars built!...(is this the one that Denny Milani died in?)

4. rick finch

rick finch

Hi Dave, yes that is the "legs under" car he was killed in...R.I.P Denny:(

5. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

I can imaging the sound of this one, sweet build.

6. I was given this old photo yesterday at the NHRA Museum cruise. It's Irwindale, 1966. We were trying larger front tires hoping the added weight transfer would equal lower ET's. It didn't work and the Halibrands and Pirellis went back on after 2 runs. This photo just goes to show, when you are looking your worst, there's always someone with a camera to capture it!

[​IMG]

7. greaser

greaser

Dean, your worst looking day is still better than most guys best looking day!:cool:

8. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Saw that car at Mike Kirby's shop in Covina just a couple of years ago. Mike has run it in nostalgia classes on many occasions over the years since Kay passed away. Mike moved the shop about a year-and-a-half ago and I'm not sure where he's located these days.

c

9. 296ardun

296ardun

From Facebook:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This may have been posted before
    [​IMG]

Jesse Perkins' Cow Palace Shell, from San Francisco, maybe Bob Hightower at the wheel?

[​IMG]
    Terry Irvin at Fremont, note blower belt has launched

[​IMG]

Probably also posted: Hank Vincent, probably at Vacaville, later went on to the Top Banana, killed at Fremont

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mackey & Veselka, I think, from Texas, at the Nationals, Detroit??
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jim Herbert, Bakersfield
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Never seen this photo before, no ID on Fiat, looks like the Gotelli digger, and pushtruck, not sure where

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

S&H
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the above shots came from the Vintage Drag Racing Club page on Facebook...if any were posted there by someone else without the photographer's permission, pm me and I will remove them...

10. HPbyGD

HPbyGD

Herb Pickney driving Warlock and now lives in Northern Ca.

11. 296ardun

296ardun

Did Woody Gilmore build this version? Looks similar to the Ground Shakers/Glen Way car that Gilmore constructed...he tried a couple of fuel altereds, with this unusual front end/torsion bar setup....and wasn't Herb banged up pretty bad when the Warlock crashed, or was that another driver?

12. HPbyGD

HPbyGD

I am not sure who built that car and if Herb got hurt in it. I talked to Herb a while back and he is racing a flat bottom boat now. A great guy that you would never know some of the stuff that he had done talking to him and VERY knowledgeable !
    GD

13. Saxxon

Saxxon

The total coolness of this picture hides the reality of the event and the incredible timing of the picture...

The Jackson brother's video (Bad Boy Altereds) shows a clip of the pass this picture came from. The picture makes it look like the altered is pulling the wheels and carrying them out for some distance. The video shows the car go up and just a quickly come down. All in the space of about 10 feet. Very bang / bang and very violent. Then the driver gathers it up and finishes the pass.

Either way...total coolness

14. To me this is what drag racing was all about

The races today have lost all of this style and class.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. johnk320

johnk320
    from Erie PA

Amen, brother, amen!

16. WCD

WCD

I was thinking Pickney served as the 2nd driver and former pilot Fred Sorenson was paralyzed from a crash with this car. And yes, I believe it was a Gilmore creation.

17. WCD

WCD

The Sissel dragster sounded like a swarm of bees. Car ran mid 8's at 160 plus. Nice workmanship throughout.

18. What an outstanding picture! Thanks for posting. Wow! Just Bitchin'

19. jayshotrods

jayshotrods

This is Paul "Skip" Cowling at Fontana in 1965. He was my partner at Foothill Speed Center in Monrovia Ca.

20. R W Ohio

R W Ohio
    from Ohio

sorry, no picture

21. R W Ohio

R W Ohio
    from Ohio

1961 Chevy

Attached Files:

22. cougarmike

cougarmike

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376798386.864919.jpg
    Ron Ritters "Cheetah" at Union Grove Wisconsen Great Lakes Dragaway, early sixties. I'm currently restoring this car in NC

23. Muttley

Muttley

Huge update coming in the next week or so...........just have to get them re-sized, cropped and named.

24. 2racer

2racer

It was Frank Pitts,
    Pitts had been seriously injured in the crash of the famed Warlock AA/FA in 1971.
    from
    http://wediditforlove.com/Herbert_part2.html

25. Kustomism

Kustomism

Best thread I've seen, very cool !

26. Alright! A mutt dump a comin.

Excellent

27. red fox

red fox
    from (OHIO)

Can't wait I really like your pictures.:cool:

28. poprk

poprk

I've been searching for Pics of my late brothers C/A that competed at the 1st or inaugural 1961 US Nationals at Indianapolis. I found one here on H.A.M.B. a photo of it coming back the return lane.

1961 us nationals never before seen photos

Here http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...1+us+nationals

Page #1, Post #9 the C/A 84 1932 B Model Ford was my brothers. Steve Kinder, from Centerville, Indiana. He died in a plane crash in 1970. The car was sold in 1962 or 1963, whereabouts unknown. I've been trying to locate this car for years or even find photos of it as it competed in 1961. The car set the track record at Muncie Dragway in 1960 12.25 112.5 mph that never was broken. Not many photos from the 61' Nationals, that 1st year in Indy. 1961 was one of the last year guys built cars like these in their garages, before the big money came. I believe Mickey Thompson had 9 or 11 cars entered in 61', sponsored by Pontiac. All of us old timer were elated that Thompson only won one class.

The middle photo C/A182 was in 1960 at Muncie Dragway before it was finished painted. C/A84 was the number assigned the car at the 61 Nationals. The third photo it was loaded, we were leaving for the Nationals.

We located another photo of the rear of the car. Forgive the Dude with the polish cloth "ME" The photo that reads SPONSORED BY MUNCIE DRAGWAY

The car has been replicated by a man who was 14 yrs old in 1961 from the same town. He remembered it as the coolest car he had ever seen. The bottom right photo is that car.

If anyone could be of any help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    poprk

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  29. OH MAN, I've been subscribed to this thread sooo long hoping someone would post this picture. I saw this picture in a magazine years and years ago (and someone borrowed without my knowledge...:mad:) and have been looking for it since.

I knew someone would come thru sooner or later. Thanks for posting it.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013