Register now to get rid of these ads!

time is flying by! HERSHEY 2013!! just around the corner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skidmarks, Jul 17, 2013.

1. 5window

5window

New guys-
    1. It always rains, come prepared.
    2. It is miles of walking-I strongly recommend Ex Officio boxer/briefs-excellent wear-quick drying, no chafing and the claim you can wear them 17 days in a row with out smelling! I can attest to all but the last claim.
    3. Everything is there. Bring money
    4. The swap meet and the car judging show cannot be done on the same days
    5. Parking is not cheap but admission is FREE. Bring friends-split gas and parking.
    6. bring lots of water-it can also be hot.
    7. Where else can you see grown men walking around with card board signs around their necks wanting obscure auto parts
    8. Women love it-no lines at the ladies rooms while the men's line stretches out to the horizon

9. Wear good shoes and very good socks

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Along with the above list from 5window you can add 10. Day storage of parts at my spot C4J41-42 in the Chocolate field. I'll have a big HAMB banner for all to sign. Stashing parts at my spot or another friends saves a lot of walking to the place you parked your car, while someone else is buying another item you needed. Bob

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

....and if you're the least bit serious about buying anything, you'd best take a wagon. Even an aluminum intake gets pretty heavy after carrying it for a couple hours.

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

I found that the three wheel baby carriages, the ones setup for Mom joggers are great. Rip off the seat and top and place a milk crare on it and you are good to go. it reallt does feel totally different than a two wheel cart. I collect a few of them as well as wagons any have most of them sold by Wednesday. Bob

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  5. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Not me.....I'm all business. Sixty year old Radio Flyer with an extended handle so it doesn't keep nipping at my heels. My late swap meet accomplice and I used to laugh about the fact that most of the serious parts buyers were hauling their purchases in old beater wagons, while the guys with the $500.00 all out heavy duty wagons were hauling coats, coolers, small dogs, and NASCAR collectibles.

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm starting the "Hershey Count Down" real early this year! Son In Law has access to an enclosed trailer so I entered Dad's '31 Roadster in the Saturday show, first time it will be out in 30 years. I'll also have roon to take every unwanted thing to the Flea Market. See you all at my spot C4J 41-42. Bob

7. Old Roadster

Old Roadster

Hershey............. If you need it they have it, Just keep looking.

8. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Been going since 1968, I know times change but I liked the old days of Hershey with small planes landing across the street from the swap meet at the airport, walking on grass, ankle deep in mud and the show cars in the stadium. Walking all day on macadam really is tough but I'll keep going until I can't walk anymore!

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

We need to keep talking about the "Old Days" of Hershey so the new guys will know what it was like. Last night I started a garage cleanout/organization, and found some Hershey programs fron the 1970's. Fun to look up the location of my old spots, and remember the stuff I sold back then. Both our kids went before their first birthday, and the tradition continued last year with our Grandson. Walking Hershey will be great practice for him. Bob

10. noboD

noboD

And I have a new car to shop for, can't wait!

11. mink

mink
    from CT

I better take the day off. I went last year, did the whole swap in two days. I found a hotel 40min from Hersey

12. mink

mink
    from CT

Ya, I power walked , had blisters on the second day, but I got to the model t doors I was looking for. Power walking is Pretty easy when you items are easy to spot

13. F&J

F&J

Hershey flashback on the wagons for hire:

Any of you recall about 30 years ago, maybe 25, a kid that came every year with a fairly beefy looking wood wagon with stakes, it's pull handle had a throttle...it had a small engine under the back.

The tailgate lettering was pro done, and hard to miss: "Mutts Delivery".

he was there for quite a few years, from a young, youngster to a teen.

14. careyohio

careyohio

The Hershey law of physics states that a 2 lb. part will weigh at least 75 lbs. after you carry it around the swap meet for 3 hrs.

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Find a three wheel jogger style baby stroller. Rip the seat and folding top off and add a milk crate with tie wraps, best parts cart I've ever had. I still bring a two wheel hand truck, but you can really cover ground pushing the 3 wheeler. Bob

16. noboD

noboD

Somone was thinking when they invented those three wheeled carts. Tie an empty beer can on it to drag on the road and everyone will hate your guts.

17. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm in. Just paid for my shared space last week. Close to you again Bob in the Chocolate Field, but I forgot the number. I can see Drakes gig really close as he's like 3 spaces down from us. The ol guy and his son I'm sharing with has been at this for decades as well. I'm just a returning participant but I remember the mud. In general garage language, fuck that. I'm hoping this year to get near the car show just before sunrise, hopefully with a large cup of coffee and a chair.

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

Oh, they cashed my check so I'll have Dad's '31 Roadster on the show field. Hasn't run in 30 years, but we have a full month to fix that. Bought every electrical component needed. Bob

19. 4ever18

4ever18

Oh, the mud in the old Blue Field, as well as the old, hilly Chocolate field was always challenging. One of my most vivid memories of the mud is of a restored, white '55/7 T-Bird being dragged through the mud by a farm tractor. Some folks were laughing while others were near tears. I suspect that some of the local farmers miss the income earned by towing cars, trucks, and motor homes onto solid ground. ��

Last year was my grandson's first trip to Hershey (Mecca North). Since then, we've taken him to the Spring Charlotte,NC swap meet, the Bristol,Tn NHRA drags, and the Louisville NSRA events. He's now 7 years old and excited about this year's trip to Hershey. Yep, he's one of us. �� His excitement is an additional facet of this event for us. See y'all there.

4ever18

20. sawzall

sawzall

counting minutes.. and pennies..

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Listing all the unwanted crap around here in hopes of turning it into Hershey money. Think I'll start a "Shopping list" thread so we can help eachother locate things. Bob

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

The Stickers ARRIVED! The Stickers ARRIVED! Now I have four weeks to make a Fortune to spend in Old Car Heaven. Bob

23. noboD

noboD

I'm guessing you come up the turnpike? If you get off at lebanon and come 322 you will be fine.

24. i am due for new work boots, i need to get them soon and break them in, in time.

25. noboD

noboD

I don't know of any construction from Lancaster to Hershey on 283, just went that way about 2 weeks ago. You should be good. There's a lot of sickhole stuff going on IN Hershey, but that shouldn't affect you. AND Hershey square is messed up, down through the zoo.

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Has anyone ever counted the total number of motor homes and busses that show up for the week of Hershey?

27. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

I'm a Hershey rookie this year, and can only have one day off work to go (maybe two). Which day is my best bet? I'm so damn stoked, hope it's as awesome as it seems.

28. 5window

5window

You'll have to decide between seeing the mass of people selling things-in which case the earlier you go the better- and the judged car show which is Saturday. 95% of the vendors shut down or are gone by the time of the Saturday show.

If I had to pick, I'd go the first or second day of the flea market-plenty of old cars in the car corral and just through the grounds. I'd also visit the AACA museum not too far up on 39N.

29. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

I'm mostly concerned with the swap meet. I have ten million things I need for my Model A. I have a feeling I'm going to be sprinting to make a dent in things, and the Red Wings will probably need resoled when I get back.

30. noboD

noboD

I would think Thursday would be your day.