Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nationwide car shipping bulletin board??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slddnmatt, Aug 16, 2013.

1. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Just curious, because I am having a car shipped, and it has yet to be picked up by one of the large carriers..I know they all get brokered out and from what I understand, the drivers will choose the vehicles off of national bulletin board based on price offered and location if it suits them and their route..Anybody know of these bulletin boards and how to view them? I would really like to see where mine is falling in line, or if these guys are yanking my chain for more money....

Thanks..

2. Hot Rod Cowboy

Hot Rod Cowboy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good luck is all I can say. You'd be way better off to look in the HAMB-O-Dex for one of the shippers on this board.

I've used Rick with Showtime and he went above and beyond, picking up my car before Sandy would have put her underwater!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. beaulieu

beaulieu
    from So Cal

Uship.com , but they take a big commision and you cannot talk to the shipper before you accept their offer ,

I have had good and bad deals there......and they really do not back you up

4. Yamagrant

Yamagrant

My brother owns a trucking company and I work for him in dispatch. The load board commonly used in the U.S. is called DAT. On the Canadian side, it's called Link Logistic. They share software, so we can see them and they can see where our trucks are.

5. It's been covered over and over,,,deal directly with one of the hambers that do this for a living,,they are honest and dependable.

I have dealt personally with racinman and BenD,,,both have impeccable reputations,,there are a couple of other guys also that I haven't done business with but their reviews are also very high! HRP

6. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

7. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I have used U-Ship for both parts and vehicles. I have had excellent service with very reasonable pricing.

8. This sounds like a ringing endorsement.

At least check with the HAMB shippers, right?

beaulieu- that's a "beautiful" cab in your avatar- do you restore them?

9. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

I have dealt with Rick and BenD before, both great guys. I recommend them quite often and they have delivered and transported cars for my customers with great results..

I just had a budget on this one for myself so unfortunately I couldn't use them for this peach of a car..

The shipper I'm using seems to be trying to get the car shipped, they even offered up their brokerage fee for the drivers, but nobody has called dibs yet..The reason I ask about the Bulletin Board was that I had another company call me, telling me that my car was about #60 on the list and that there were running vehicles in the area with better profit amounts for the drivers... If I went up a bit on my amount it would more than likely get picked up..

Other than the guys on here, In my opinion all shipping companies are used car salesman's, and unfortunatly sometimes you have to deal with them, it would just be nice to be able to check out what they are telling you to be true or selling you a bunch of B.S.:rolleyes:

10. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

You are in So Cal, so that's not a problem. Where are you shipping it to? If it is out in the sticks,then that's the problem. Not a lot of freight heading OUT of Bumf%ck, Egypt, which raises the costs of anything heading INTO BFE. Your car may sit on the board until a car heading out of BFE shows up there.

11. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Its coming from NY. Its pickup point is pretty close to a couple major interstates. The shipper told me Im 1 of 280 vehicles that are waiting to be shipped from NY to CA. My price for the shipping, i was told puts me in the upper 20% of those vehicles..

12. The reality is ....

The price you were quoted by a Broker is too low

Few carriers will haul for it - that is what you are finding out

80% or more of the vehicles purchased thru private sale each day in this country are transported using auto brokers

The majority of the actual independent haulers that carry autos for auto brokers work long hours for little pay

Most are immigrants - most do a decent job

But - if you want your vehicle to arrive in the same condition it left the Seller ....

Same driver direct on the same trailer from pick up to drop off

You get what you pay for - some folks don't like what they get

Jim

HAMB Alliance Member 6 years ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  13. 97

How much is your "price".....if you would rather not say that's cool.... I am interested , because I have been quoted anything from 1250 to 2100, to get a car from Syracuse, NY. to Carson,CA.

I understood the company would just go and get the car if I accepted the quote....

I am in New Zealand, I don't really understand this broker freight system, do you tell them what you are prepared to pay and wait for someone to take the job, or do you ask for a price and then still have to wait for a taker?
    I just found these guys.
    http://carshippinginfo.com/

14. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

My quote didn't seem low, it was on the higher end of the middle of the quotes i was given, but it is what it is, it will get here eventually....I hope!

15. BettyBlue

BettyBlue

I will only use Racinman Rick or a Hamber. Went round and round with a broker, few weeks went by, still no pick up. Called Rick, picked up within 3-4 days and not much more $$. Door to door service! When he couldn't transport another time, he hooked me up with his buddy and he gave me the exact same great service! The few dollars extra is worth it for the way I was treated!

16. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Your chain is being jerked for more money but what you wrote here this quote
    " I had another company call me, telling me that my car was about #60 on the list and that there were running vehicles in the area with better profit amounts for the drivers... If I went up a bit on my amount it would more than likely get picked up.."

"THERE WERE RUNNING VEHICLES IN THE AREA FOR BETTER PROFITS"

Why would that statement be made ?
    Your car doesn't run ? Is that right ?

If it doesn't run - the big haulers don't want it to have to screw with it loading on and off those 7-8 car haulers.

Your car is not a peach to them - it is a car - nothing special - a paycheck.
    Easiest running car on - easiest running car off.

If it doesn't run - you can hope all you want - it isn't going anywhere fast.

If your car is a peach as you say it is- spend the extra $ 300.00 - $ 500.00 peach money with a HAMB Hauler instead of trying to pay with prune money and HOPE it gets there.

Have one the HAMB Hauler members that I linked in my previous post to pick it up and deliver it door to door from guys who have old cars and treat them with care the cars deserve and the 4 guys I linked have winches and deal with non running cars.

Just for conversation sake - go ahead and share if you would what you've been quoted and it probably won't be hard to mathematically determine what is realistic price.
    Diesel is $ 4.00 gallon -

New York, New York to LA, California is about 2,800 miles..................

Matt - seriously - I wouldn't use a broker.

I have used Rick, Bill, Jim and Ben who own their rigs - and KNOW if , when, where and how much it will cost me.

Just my opinion but as Jim said - you get what you pay for.

IMHO

Good luck.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  17. rockfish

rockfish

Great advice. You'll soon forget about the few hundred extra bucks you spent and you won't have to post back here in a few weeks about how your shipping company screwed you over and damaged your car........
    Like the saying goes, "You only pay for quality once."

18. I just dropped off this 46' Panel Delivery at Mercury Charlie's in
    Austin earlier in the week for Marc here on the HAMB

[​IMG]

You have options on the HAMB

Try to line up a regular hauler

Do a keyword search using ' transport ' or ' haul '
    to find someone headed your way who might have room

Join the HAMB Relays Social Hauling Group and post your needs there:

@ http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=214

Place an ad under the Classifieds Wanted section

Jim

19. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Hmmmm thats weird, I posted up a reply last night on the prices for member 97 since he was having a car shipped from NY also, but its not here now..:confused: My price for shipping was $1400, the lowest quote I received was $995 and the highest was for $1600.

To clarify, the car being a "peach" is pretty much slang for a POS rusty project to everybody else..

I agree with what is being said, if I was a hauler I wouldn't want to mess with a non running/stopping car just for hassles sake, unless I knew it was not way out of my way to pick up and I could put it on the truck and not touch it until it was delivered..

I usually run and get the vehicles myself, but on this one, my time and budget didn't allow me to go and get it to have it here in time.

20. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

$ 1400.00 FOR 2,800 miles is .50 mile.

No one I know will haul anything running for .50 mile let alone not running.

I can't see anyone hauling for that.

2800 miles....... 6 mpg Big rig if lucky is 466 gallons of fuel at 4.00 gallon is $ 1,864 in fuel.

Now granted they are hauling 6-7 cars but yours being non - op - I highly doubt anyone will take it.

Just my opinion.

I do wish you luck

21. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

I know it will eventually arrive, I was just mostly curious about the other companies "fishing" scheme trying to get me to use them when they were calling...

97, when you place an order with a company, which 99% of them are just brokers. They say they have a selected group of drivers they use, then they put up your info and the price for shipping on a Nation wide bulletin board. If a driver is in the area or he has space on the truck and its in on his route, he'll take the order if it's worth it and grab your car..Now being a running car this is usually pretty quick, but when they are inoperable its more of a P.I.T.A. for the drivers. Especially if they have to shuffle the cars around on and off the trailer at every drop off. Like I said before, if my budget was a little fatter, Rick would be the first guy i would of called

I caluculated it out, if i had to run and get mine, at right around $1600 round trip for fuel and me living in my truck for a week..I usually will try and take a little more time and make a little vaction out of the trips and drag the family along which makes it worth it..

22. Cob,

Thank you for you posts on this thread .... :)

Jim

23. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Seriously?? No reason to be defensive, I COULD NOT AFFORD THE HAMB SHIPPERS FOR THIS TRIP..

When I recommend shippers to my customers and anybody else for that matter I first start with all you guys..If they can't afford the price I tell them to check the bigger companies and that I can't help them with any recommedations.. I personally have never had a big transport pickup/deliver a car on time..I have been lucky with no damages..

At a buck a mile that would of been close to $3k, close to what i paid for the car and way over my budget... I knew when i booked with a large company it would be a gamble on the time frame..I was just curious about the bulletin board and if there was a way to view it to see which big shippers were slinging me a bunch of B.S.

24. zamochit

zamochit
    from Flushing

Hi, just wanted to chime in on the post. First of all the national board you all speak of isnt DAT, its Central Dispatch. If you'd like I can see what I can do for you slddnmatt. Send me over your zip codes and I will take a look on there and see where your at.

25. Tom Zom

Tom Zom

Just a thought ...... Some of you shipper classify Long Island as a no go destination ?.... Leaving me with some very ill feelings in price quotes..... I have been a car guy and a stand up type of guy ? My questions is why judge all by some bad experiences and just say no like some have done.... Rather then quote like your doing me a favor..... What did I do some..... Judge all by one?... I'm a little baffled .... But hey........ Options are like assholes everyone has one !

26. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Actually, I have had two hauled for .50/mile in the last couple of years. One traveled over 3000 miles, the other just under 3000 miles. Both through U-Ship. One on an open carrier, one was enclosed. Both were non-ops also.

27. There was a post on here a few days ago with a link to a broker. I can't find it now but it gives some insight about how brokers work. Of course it was also a plug for their service. If you can find it, post it. It might be of interest to some folks.

28. Filed this one. I'm on the hunt for a 1940 Ford coupe.
    T