Register now to get rid of these ads!

1963 Meteor front springs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fomocojoe, Aug 16, 2013.

1. fomocojoe

fomocojoe

I've got a 63 Meteor that I'd like to do the gasser look with, but I'm not quite ready to yank the IFS and install a straight axle. I'm thinking I'd like to get the front end up with some springs that are a bit taller than the stockers, and I'm hoping someone here has some experiance swapping springs into this body style (same as 63 Fairlane). I was thinking about springs from a later big block Fairlane or wagon, like from 66-67, but I don't know if the diameter is the same or if they will help. Any thoughts on the subject would be much apprieciated!

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Springs for a V8 station wagon with air conditioning would be the stiffest stock springs. There are rubber spacers you can put under the springs for an extra inch or 2 of lift.

3. Del Swanson

Del Swanson
    from Racine, WI

I've found that ( at least with the rear springs ) that the Meteor is not the same as the Fairlane. Again, with the rear springs, the heaviest springs were from the two door hard top, not the station wagon. I know you're looking for front spring info, just don't assume it's the same as a Fairlane, do some research.

4. frankenfords

frankenfords
    from SoCal

JC Whitney used to sell high lift coil springs (and rear leafs) for mid 60's Ford cars, as well as many other cars. I'd bet they still have them listed.

5. fomocojoe

fomocojoe

That's what I figured, if I could just find stock replacements for a 65 wagon with a/c I'd be doin good...

6. fomocojoe

fomocojoe

According to dearborn classics they are the same. They list springs they offer as fitting 62-65 Fairlane/ Meteor. Thanks for the heads up on the rear; I had seen in my research that they are different and figured I'd pay a visit to St. Louis spring for those.

7. fomocojoe

fomocojoe

Thanks for the tip, but no luck. I just looked and they don't show them. Maybe if I can find an old JCWhitney rag in my magazines I could find an old part number. Since you mentioned it I definetly remember the listings with a cartoon of a jacked up muscle car at the top.

8. fomocojoe

fomocojoe

EUREKA! I just found spings for a 65 Fairlane wagon with a/c on Rock auto. They only had three pair left. These with a spacer ought to do just what I want.