Register now to get rid of these ads!

Airbag suspension water filter traps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Krown54, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Krown54

Krown54

I was just wondering if anybody uses water filter traps with airbag suspensions? If not do you have any problems with corrosion? Also the traps I have the plastic bowls have cracked twice in about a 4 year span. Thinking about getting rid of them, but wanted to know what other people are using or not using.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  2. Krown54

Krown54

Ok, so I know a lot of people on here are running airbag suspensions and you mean to tell me nobody is using these?

3. 117harv

117harv

4. Krown54

Krown54

Thanks for the info and the link, but I'm still curious if anybody has had problems with the plastic bowls cracking.

5. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Air ride is like any other air system. Condensation builds up over time. I usually install filters and put a ball valve on the airtank to drain it every so often..

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope. Never had a plastic bowl crack. I only use all-metal bowl ones.

7. Krown54

Krown54

Thanks for the info, I think I'm going to switch to all-metal bowls. I think the Arizona heat is just killing these plastic bowls.

8. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Are you running your compressors straight into the water traps? Best thing to so is to put the traps inbetween the tank and the valves and have a drain valve on the bottom of the tank that you can open up once a week. When the air is hot coming from the compressors in found the traps don't catch all the moister because iv had water in a tank before from having it setup like that.
    That said I haven't had any problems with the plastic bowls braking I thing mine are glass in my chevy but in previous cars iv had plastic ones with no cracks

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I run an extra solenoid valve, attached to the fitting at the bottom of the tank, feeding a line that exits outside the car. I put small push button in the glove box that operated said valve, evacuating water from the tank, whenever the button is pushed.

10. Simplicity

Simplicity
    from Toronto

11. jon83

jon83

never had a problem with cracking..yet. I have a sight gauge on mine for fluid level. I have an aluminum tank, mainly use it to catch oil sludge from the york engine driven compressor. You want it as far away from the pump as possible to let the hot air condense and catch the moisture. a relief valve is good too.

12. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

I have an OT Lincoln with factory air suspension. It has a desiccant dryer that needs to be serviced periodically. It works ok for an occasional load leveling system, but if you're laying frame and pumping back up, it would need to be much higher capacity.