Register now to get rid of these ads!

302 pain in my a$$

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mr. h, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

***no, use tube in front at base of carb.

Attached Files:

2. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

These procedures will not find an internal leak, where the bottom of the ports are open to the crankcase and the cylinders are pulling oily air from the oilpan. I always suggest that when putting the motor back together, get two sets of the same intake gaskets. After final torquing of the heads, torque the intake manifold down with one of the gasket sets. Let it sit overnight so the gaskets can take a set. Next day, remove the intake manifold and very closely inspect both gaskets for being pinched all the way around each and every port. If you have 360 degree pinch on all ports, use the other set of the same part number gaskets and torque the manifold on for good, thanking your lucky stars.

If you discover that there are areas on the gaskets where they are not pinched 360 around every port, then you are facing some machine work.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  3. kidzintha34fodor

kidzintha34fodor

I've tried Eldelbrock carbs before, and have not had much luck! I switched to a Holley and have been running them ever since! Way easier to work on and trouble shoot, plus all my sbf and bbf seem to run much better with the holleys. And when I say Holley, I mean the old dual feed double pumper! (oops, sorry! I quoted the wrong question, but I think it was the one before this one!)

4. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

NEVER on an AFB or Edelbrock! Max is 5.5 ideal is 4.5-5psi or they flood.Holleys are OK with 6-8psi.Check your hose connections per the picture below,the port at the rear is usually for power brake vacuum.Plug the canister vapor vent.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  5. Thanks Jeff. I have my dizzy on the left and my trans on the right. I'll move the Pcv and see if that helps.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

43/4# is perfect for edelbrock carbs

7. I'm partial to Holleys myself, but that's not important right now. Pull the Edelbrock apart and rebuild it, or have it rebuilt. That would rule it out once and for all. Take another good look for a vacuum leak first. I'd also like to see a big gas filter before the fuel pump to ward off evil spirits.

Bob

8. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

So put propane into the oil fill! Come on! It's a vac leak!

9. It turns out it was my carb. I bought a holley 1850 and it's runs like a top now.

10. Nice. glad to hear it worked out for you

oh and fyi to everyone, i installed a fuel pressure regulator to my 1405, that was running at 6lbs, now at 4.5lbs lol

11. EZ Cool

EZ Cool
    Alliance Vendor
    from Slaton TX

If your going to throw that AFB in the trash, I'll send you postage to mail it to me :D

12. I'm not sure you want it. Turns out ethanol gas ate it up. The bowls are etched out and it's clogged everywhere.

13. As far as I am concerned a one gallon can is better than that edelbrock. I went through two them before I threw them away and installed a holley. roblems resolved.

14. AHotRod

AHotRod

....... and it will eat up any other brand of carb also, so beware!

15. I found a gas station by me that sells 110 octane racing fuel so I'm only going to run that since it's ethanol free

16. George

George

Might burn valves if engine isn't set up for that much octane. There is a site puregas.org that list ethanol free stations, but some errors do occur on it.

17. thedapperone

thedapperone

This is a problem only if you buy the carbs that are not e10/e85 rated.
    This was a big problem with the aftermarket quads when I worked for NAPA. Getting a Holley is a good step. You can have the eddy's ultrasonic cleaned and hard anodized but it really isn't worth it for the cost. We have our HS4 and HIF4 SU's hard anodized to mitigate this problem. We also run marine stabilizer.

18. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Since both the AFB/Edelbrocks are aluminum and the newer Aluminum Holley is being promoted here is a discussion that is relevant.:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?do=discuss&group=&discussionid=40164 I also brought up the idea that Marvel Mystery Oil should help the degrading caused by Ethanol seems a lot of folks are doing just that:https://www.google.com/search?newwi...36.0....0...1c.1.25.hp..8.35.3888.Z3cQ5qovvSI

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  19. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Good lookin car Mr.H

20. Well it made it 40 miles before I developed a very bad knock on the passenger side valves. Started blowing smoke out of that tail pipe and then dropped oil pressure. Officially in the market for a new long block.

21. Thank you very much.

22. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376784355.997124.jpg
    Here it is looking good on the trailer.

23. AHotRod

AHotRod

Sorry to see your luck brother ...... all will be better from now forward.

24. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I love that car.... Send me a private message. I will give you my number. I can get you a deal on one for sure.....

I love Fords, I would build it my self for fun..... I am in a time crunch and no time in my buds machine shop........ But I can get you a deal, and a warranty for sure..

Mike

edit.... I may have a 347 stroker.....talk to ya monday....

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013