Register now to get rid of these ads!

vintage road sign....looking for info on this sign

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 93blazer4dr, Aug 15, 2013.

1. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

hard to believe they are curve signs...

2. Peerless Mfg Co. was the successor to Louisville Signal & Switch (Railroad products company) - could it be that this was used on a railroad switch stand?

3. 93blazer4dr

93blazer4dr
    BANNED

if its a railroad sign that is just badass

4. Any body around the Santa Rosa CA area .... aren't those very same arrows on the curve going towards the In-and-Out Burger off Mendocino Ave? .... I don't think that sign is very old.

5. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I would be surprised if they weren't old. If it was new they wouldn't use glass marble reflectors, they would use some new plastic cheap stuff, and the sign would be made of a light weight cheap tin or aluminum.

They could be railroad signs. I'm no railroad expert, but I wouldn't rule that out. I'm still thinking they were a parking garage sign.

6. 93blazer4dr

93blazer4dr
    BANNED

their is no way these are new, it weighs 5 pounds and its very solid. what ever these signs were used for would be cool to know but their just awesome looking and a nice fit to my collection.

7. Never saw a railroad sign like that.

8. 93blazer4dr

93blazer4dr
    BANNED

it could be a RR sign now I think of it the guy that was selling stuff had RR switch locks also but the stuff wasn't his, he was selling it to raise money for the guy that had the stuff but the guy didn't know anything about it other then it was some kind of sign

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

I don't think they are that old based on the anit theft screws. Google the company and ask. Bob [​IMG]

10. 93blazer4dr

93blazer4dr
    BANNED

ive seen old stop signs with the same type of screw. I think it is around 1940s or 50s

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  11. slowmotion

slowmotion

I doubt RR signage, but who knows. Never saw anything like that in my time around RR operations. When I started we were still filling some of the old switch stand targets with kerosene.

12. If I squint my eyes a bit... Could this have been used as a reflector on the back of an old school bus or similar vehicle?

13. 93blazer4dr

93blazer4dr
    BANNED

I doubt it would go on a bus. its some kind of sign and the mystery is killing everyone who has looked at the pics and its killing me also lol.

14. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Man that's one cool looking sign!

15. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

Could be a 1/off,any business can just call Peerless and get a sign made for whatever purpose,just a thought!

16. 93blazer4dr

93blazer4dr
    BANNED

I was also thinking could it have been a delivery directional sign but at the end of the day its cool and its a local piece that will stay local.

17. That is cool...I'm curious to hear some history..

18. 93blazer4dr

93blazer4dr
    BANNED

I have come across some other cool signs. I got a metal skil power tool sign(its metal) and a Ryobi tool sign(its fiber glass or plexie glass) and one that I think is really rare and its a paper/poster board sign and its a Milwaukee power tool sign in great shape it was put in the shop and stayed in the same place for 30+ years the guy told me but I cant find any others like it. if interest I can post up some pics