Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Anderegg Roadster TRIBUTE-MEMORIAL build and info, AMBR 1955

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ANDEREGG TRIBUTE, Nov 5, 2009.

1. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Thanks Koz. Its really beginning to look like something. Every so often I will snap a pic that you almost cant tell its not the original....quite the proud moment when that happens.

2. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

I missed posting these this with the others. That door is finally growing on me, it actually doesnt look half bad.
    [​IMG]

And another plug for Chip (need louvers ?) ph602.881.0175. This has been one of the few things I have farmed out so far, and I am so stoked with the precision work he did on the louvers. The size and shape are just perfect, they have really made a difference. He's a great guy to deal with.
    [​IMG]

3. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Hey Louie! This thing is really coming along great... I come and check on your thread, but for some reason never left a comment- Just had to say how bitchin' this car is looking!

4. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Thanks a ton Shaun!
    Wiring, wiring and more wiring. Trying to make this as simple as possible, yet still have turn signals, horn, a few power outlets (aka cig lighters). My wiring diagram for an AMC Metropolitan has been very handy. I am even wiring the tail lights like the Metro's since it has both 1157 and 1156 bulbs in each tail light. Trying to keep everything tucked out of sight, but still easily accessible.

5. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Wiring is definitely a pain some times!

I just got done wiring my race car (save for the windshield wiper and license plate light). I bought a Rebel 4 circuit wiring harness, really made things go easy for the most part (the horn was the hardest part!).

6. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Awsome build every time I loo0k in on you:D
    Keeping turn sigs out of site was also my son's plan,so we tucked away a EZ to rech toggelswitch with this set up.:cool: But you do need to remember to flip off after turn.
    It was cheep and EZ hidible.
    But best deal I've see lately was on here,if there is room for it @ http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=617875&highlight=turn

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  7. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Well, pushed the lil roadster outside for a bit this evening to do some photographic comparisons. Pretty happy with it so far, I admit I have missed the mark on a few things, some knowingly, some not so knowingly....some gonna let go, some gonna fix. The wiring is about 80% done, and getting set to do some structure inside the trunk lid. I am also starting to fit the pressed board panels for the upholstery so I can make any mounting flanges that they may require.
    Comparisons are against the entry photo from the '55 GNRS program and the Hot Rod photo shoot from early '57.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its tough trying to figure out how somebody took a picture, nevermind I am using a cell phone vs. a photographer using a real camera, and God knows what lens.

8. N.Ozols

N.Ozols
    from Latvia

in all of your photos, you should have stepped back a bit more, and then zoomed the camera in. that'd be closer to the mag pics

anyway, been a long time lurker, i always dug the original rod, yours is a great compliment, keep up the good work!

9. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Thanks man!! You're prob absolutely right, I completely forgot about the zoom...a photographer I am not. That would explain why I could never get the rear tire correct. I appreciate the advice and compliment.

dana barlow likes this.
  10. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey Louie, give me a call when you have a chance. 602 881 0175

12. N.Ozols

N.Ozols
    from Latvia

Hey, I heard you have an update :D

(I missed the previous friday and won't be home the next one either, so haven't been able to "release" it on FAS)

13. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Hey Normunds! Yup, actually I've had a bunch of other stuff going on, so you are the closest thing to something happening on the roadster. For those that havent seen, I had our very own Normunds do an amazing colored pencil sketch of the roadster. I highly recommend you commission him to do one of your hot rod!
    [​IMG]
    Thanks again Normunds, hope you get it posted up on FAS
    (Of course watermark is not on the original)

14. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

thats really cool art ,make a t-shirt too.?

15. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man, you sure are doing a righteous job on your car! Don't know how I missed your thread for so long; but just read the whole deal. I can't wait to see it "pop" in that wild yellow.

16. MoarLow

MoarLow
    from Virginia

Beautiful job so far, that is exactly the stance and everything that I want mine to look like, any new updates?

17. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Hmmmm, maybe, I have started my own drawing for a t-shirt as well, but its still a work in progress.

Thanks you guys, I am humbled by some of the words you folks have used to describe my build. Maybe I am just over critical.

Not much to report as of late, we've had the grandson visiting. I am at an impass currently with some things that I am not happy with, and its really taken the wind out of my sails. I am not thrilled with the aluminum deck lid, how flimsy it is and how much work its going to be to add some strength to it. The door I made is not too bad, but there is an area down towards the bottom that needs reworking. And the biggie is the rear section of the frame. I really shouldve and couldve done better on it. I think I really shouldve taken the time to cut some curved kick ups instead of the mitered cuts I did. The frame doesnt require the notches for the axle and I think the frame would look so much better and more resemble what the original car had if it were to curve like a 42 Merc frame does. (but then again, it may look stupid with the way I built the floor, as it matches the current rear kick up) Redoing all of this will definately prevent me from getting it to Sacramento next year....big descision I have to make in the next few days.

Thanks again to the folks who have been so complimentary...

18. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Years ago I helped a buddy make a trunk lid from scratch for his "A"/has little more bend than a "T",we did not try to crown it ,just bend,but it too needed a framework cuz 90* on edge was not enough to hold well,he was on a small piggybank,so we made the framework out of 1/2in.EMT tube,just inside all around plus X in the center,came out pretty stiff and held the hinges and latch well on the 1/8in. plates welded inside to the tubing.;)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  19. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

I refuse to apologize for this, but somebody here just paid me one of the biggest compliments I've had in my entire life.
    Thank you, HAMB-ON!!!

dana barlow likes this.
  20. Any details shots of the fan shroud? Awesome job so far.

21. Maybe I missed it somewhere in this thread; but I was looking at some old small size rod
    mags at my daughters last night and saw what looks like this car in gold paint; but with a different owners name. Magazine was a 1960 Rod and Restyling or something like that.

22. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

I will see if I can come up with a better picture of it...its quite the piece, all hand formed by the guy that rebuilt the roadster in the 90s. (though not my cup of tea, kinda makes the grill shell sides look odd, its still pretty impressive)

Yes you did, it was the cover car of July '60 Rodding and Restyling, and it was also featured in May '62 how to Hop-up your engine (both little pages). Uncle Ray's name was changed though in....we have our theories on why....in many of the articles.
    Thanks for noticing....this rocks and Uncle Ray loves knowing its still out there being looked at.

P.S. If you didnt notice, Von Franco's version made the Guidelines Post, a clone of the version in the magazine you mentioned.....That in itself was huge for me...PSS, Uncle Ray thinks its great as well!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  23. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Dont go anywhere.....I mean it......

24. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

.... Update soon?? :rolleyes:

25. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

OK....so, as things are kinda slow in the garage at this second, lots of family visits, a very well deserved weekend get-away for the wifey and I, where we had a date with Marilyn Monroe...in a manner of speaking anyway, and I am getting my bearings on a huge push to make the Sacramento Autorama next year to represent the Valve Burners.
    Add to all of that for whatever reason the powers at be here decided to include my lil build of the lil roadster in this trial run. I am truly humbled....

Having said that I am so inclined to share this from our collection of personal and previously uncirculated and unpublished family photos of the original roadster from its inception to its current state.

The photo: Its one of several small 2"x2" (I have no idea the camera style or film) photos with a large border that has a fancy edge. The originals are in rough shape this is the best one. Circa 1958, Uncle Ray has separated from the Army and after he returned home to Santa Cruz, he began his updating of the roadster adding a true Carson top, a full dress 283 Chevy V8, cycle fenders and what we believe is white paint. He didnt like the car white and shortly after dismantled the car again to have Gene Winfield spray the lime/gold. He would then reverse the front Merc rims and have all 4 chromed. Anyway, this is my way of showing my appreciation to all in power here and all the great folks that hang out at Ryan's site and visit my lil thread.

[​IMG]

OT update...seems those little old Brownie cameras took the small square photos.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  26. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Here is a pic from the Rod & Custom feature on the car, bout the best I can come up with at this point.

[​IMG]

27. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Damn thats a cool picture!

28. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Thanks Shaun,
    Well here is a bit of an update of stuff done a few weeks ago.
    Wiring, a bit more tidying up to do, but here is the basic layout of the dash. I found a small glass fuse panel that will end up just above the passenger kick panel. I also fabbed a mount for a terminal block above the column. This made it easy to make my own harnesses for the front and rear lights, and it all connects there which is actually pretty easy to get to through the passenger door.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is the layout for the switches for the dash. The start button is going to end up a horn button, ignition, and lights. Below is a switch for the turn signals, and a push-pull for hazzards.
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic of the inprogress trunk and fuel tank.
    [​IMG]

And just for gee whizzes...guess I will have to imagine some open road in front of me for just a bit longer...
    [​IMG]

ahhh crap, huge pics again....dammit I will fix it.....

29. racer32

racer32

Wish my Pops had taken some pics of his coupe.

OT trivia: The original Brownie used Kodak 117 film. The negative size was 2-1/4" x 2-1/4". It was basically a cardboard box with a hole in it, and a lever that opened the shutter.

There were about a zillion different plastic Brownie cameras...most common were the bakelite box type. Used 120 film (and others).

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  30. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

And yet more modifications and finessing, such an important area I am really trying to get it right...
    [​IMG]