Register now to get rid of these ads!

Edelbrock 1406 Issues, Experts please help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ownerizer, Aug 16, 2013.

1. ownerizer

ownerizer
    from Parker, Co

First, let's please not turn this into a carb alliance debate.<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1; COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    I have a 1406 and finally got my motor together and drove the car to the gas station for a fill-up. Car did great, did not dog on it at all. Next day, it fired right up and went into high idle mode and stalled. Couldn't restart it and noticed the carb was leaking from the shafts for the throttle on both the driver and passenger sides.

Rebuilt the carb using 1477 rebuild kit, blowing out all orifices, nozzels, ect.

Started up yesterday, idled normal, I goosed the throttle slightly and it died and won't restart and is having the same leaking problem.

What is causing this? I'm ready to drive this car before winter at least once.

Carb is factory reman and only has about 2 miles on it.

2. birdman1

birdman1

Always put a good fuel filter when you replace a carb! You got a piece of dirt in the needle and seat assembly. Flooding! Not the carbs fault! I use a filter for a 2000 Ford Taurus, those NAPA style inline filters are no good.

3. ownerizer

ownerizer
    from Parker, Co

I did not replace the needle and seat, as when I took them out they looked pretty clean. I will replace them with the new ones from the rebuild kit. I also put a new paper element filter (instead of the mesh replaceable element I had), one on both sides of the fuel pump.

4. Edelnrock needs 3 things to make you happy.
    1 . About 5 psi fuel pressure
    2 . To be clean, proper fuel filter, air cleaner base gasket.
    3. Correct float adjustment

Along with common sense and everything in good working order

5. y3

y3
    from Terrell Tx

Set floats up and down....the line between flood and performance is thin

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. That old needle is a likely suspect and sees plenty of action. They wear out.

Can't really claim a rebuild without changing them

7. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Sounds like you cleaned the carb and then dirtied it again. Check for fuel hoses rotting from the inside and shedding particles into the fuel inlet.

8. ownerizer

ownerizer
    from Parker, Co

Carb only has 2 miles on it. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376672891.898566.jpg

9. Larry T

Larry T

For me, the starting point on trouble shooting Edelbrock carbs is ALWAYS check the fuel pressure. You'd be suprised what some stock pumps put out.

10. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

Nice old cad. I usually rig a gravity feed to a rebuilt or new carb and check for leaks and that the bowls fill properly before it ever goes on the motor. Saves a lot of headaches.

Jack E/NJ

11. slammed

slammed

Tear it down, replace the needle/seat. Clean everything. Set float. Pressure reg and new filter. Seek YT how to trouble shooting clips on setting up these carbs. Search engine here on HAMB same subject for more info. How is gas tank? Clean, new, flushed?

12. Is this a new carburetor,you have eluded to it having only 2 miles on it? HRP

13. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I learned this lesson.... It is equally important High and low float setting.... If low is wrong gas will come out of everywhere.... same as high...

I will leave the fuel psi alone cuz I am runnin higher but no issue.... so.... Edelbrock recommends no less then 4.5.... 5.5 is ideal

14. ownerizer

ownerizer
    from Parker, Co

This is a factory remanufactured carb, reman by Edelbrock, purchased through Jegs.

15. ownerizer

ownerizer
    from Parker, Co

Tank and filler neck were boiled at Ideal Radiator in Denver. Was not too happy with their service BTW.

16. ownerizer

ownerizer
    from Parker, Co

Me and a friend have decided to tear down the carb, clean it and install new needles and seats, hopefully the gaskets aren't toasted. This weekend will also install new 1/4 rubber lines from the tank to the pump. and from the pump to the carb. Still running factory 1953 pump, seems to be working just fine.

17. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Keep us informed on your progress. If you want call edelbrock customer support too. They are super helpful and will send you parts for free if you need them.
    Jay

18. greybeard360

greybeard360

Really? Why would you spend the money on a kit and not use it ????

Gotta bust yer chops cause I know you... LOL

When you are setting the float, look down the sides of them and along the edge of the top cover and make sure they are parallel.... and as you put the top on, make sure they aren't dragging the sides of the float bowl, I have seen this happen.

WHen all else fails, call an expert... just have your CC ready :)

19. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I would use a metal line from the tank to the pump, The ethanol is going to eat the rubber one fast. Seems like a lot of extra work but it won't be in the end.

20. Send it back,,it is suppose to work right out of the box.

You have to ask yourself why they sell re-manufactured carburetors,,some one had trouble with it in the past. HRP

21. ownerizer

ownerizer
    from Parker, Co

Thanks Mikey! ;)

22. ownerizer

ownerizer
    from Parker, Co

Should be fine if I used Fuel Injected rated line. Surely the line is rated for Ethanol since the additive has been used for years now.

23. Larry T

Larry T

Hard lines are the right way to do it. The universal brake lines that you can buy in any parts store work great and look "professional".
    Just saying.

24. Yeah, it's a reman, shouldn't need to be rebuilt.

25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yeah, 'trouble'. Like they put it on the manifold without the plate... LOL

I've bought 'bad ones' at swap meets for $50, (600 CFM new) because of that 'little known fact'!

26. Every reconditioned cell phone Verizon sends me is fucked up within 3 days.
    Maybe the same guys are rebuilding the carbs too?

27. AHotRod

AHotRod

It's flooding due to:

Dirt/trash in needle/seat

Just clean it out and make positively certain the floats are adjusted per the specs.

They are a very simple design....... I worked for Carter for 30 years.

28. ownerizer

ownerizer
    from Parker, Co

Old line is out, it was defiantly the culprit. Out of the couple drops that we caught when we drained it, half of it was trash. I wonder if the ethanol acts as a solvent and was breaking loose all the trash in the lines. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376777428.570738.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376777460.703098.jpg

29. slammed

slammed

Wrap a rag around an air fitting and stick in filler neck to blow/push some of that fuel out of the tank. Catch it in a clean pan. Like panning for gold, your looking for anything (even tarnish) as a contaminate.