Register now to get rid of these ads!

Idaho YOM Plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AD_NAPCO, Aug 15, 2013.

1. AD_NAPCO

AD_NAPCO

So, my priorities being what they are, I'm thinking ahead here. We are planning a move to Idaho in the relatively near future. As such, I will need YOM plates for my 39 GMC pickup. My problem is this. I can't seem to find much information on vintage Idaho plates, and what would be the proper plate for a 1/2 ton pickup. I found one site that lists the following categories:

Truck, Flat Fee Truck, Farm Truck, and Commercial.

In California, I have commercial plates for a pickup. I know Idaho uses a county code, so knowing we are headed to Kootenai county, I guess I want a K code plate, but what is the proper category, and what does that look like?

Any info would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

We have one of the best YOM programs going, costing $15 over the normal plate. You'll need only a single plate for the rear, and while the actual 1939 truck plate was stamped FARM TRUCK, they don't care now ... just don't volunteer any info they don't ask for.

3. AD_NAPCO

AD_NAPCO

Awesome... So no need for a matched pair even if it was issued in pairs? Thanks for that!

4. toolz

toolz

5. AD_NAPCO

AD_NAPCO

thanks for the link, but that appears to be for new current issue plates. I'm looking for information on using original 1939 issue truck plates on my truck.

6. Blam

Blam

As long as you have the correct year you can run any county.

7. AD_NAPCO

AD_NAPCO

ah, cool. that's good to know. so, if I read that right, they probably wouldn't be picky about proper truck plates even? Just a good 39 plate for the rear and I'm good?

8. Blam

Blam

I don't think so, my dad had truck plates (TK) on his 36 hotrod pickup a while back with no issues

9. AD_NAPCO

AD_NAPCO

cool. thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

10. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

So where are you going to land in Idaho?

11. AD_NAPCO

AD_NAPCO

Well, as of now, we are not 100% but we really liked what we saw of the panhandle. CDA, Hayden, Dalton Gardens, maybe Post Falls. We went as far north as Bonner's Ferry, and as far south as St. Maries while we were there. I grew up in a very rural part of the central coast of California, and my wife more in the south bay area in the Port of Los Angeles... However she was born in Idaho Falls. I spent part of my childhood in central Oregon as well and have lots of family there. I have always loved the country in the Pacific Northwest. I prefer the country to the city, and having experienced my roots, my wife does as well. We are living in the house she lived in as a kid in LA now just because my father in law is renting it to us very cheaply. After visiting Idaho on a whim because we wanted to explore, we fell in love with it. At least that area. I would be open to exploring other parts of the state. I did like the country up that way a lot. I'm not big on desert and the one time I went through Boise, I seem to remember it reminding me a lot of Eastern Oregon/Washington. Kinda high desert country. So, nothing set in stone, but I'm in the process of getting my Federal Firearms License and certifying as a gunsmith. I'm looking at buying a home with a good size shop on the place so I can work from home and also work on my old cars and trucks with plenty of room. It's also important for me to have my kids grow up in the country, or near to it, and unfortunately where I grew up I'd end up house-poor to live there. The people, and places we visited in Idaho reminded me of the way things were here when I was a kid, and the way a lot of small towns here still are... Culturally at least. People everywhere we went, without exception, were genuinely friendly and I made sure to be completely open about being from California to gauge reactions. I remember the early 80's and the cross border animosity during those years. I never once got even the slightest hint of any of that from any person of any age group and we spoke to as many as we could from all of them. The problem is that small towns here only come in two flavors. Destitute where housing is cheap because no one lives on anything but government assistance or gangs and drugs keep values down... Or, great places to live where the economy is supported by multigenerational mulitimillionaire ranch familes, resident retirees, tourists and resident white collar families with lots of money that are willing to commute two hours to keep development in check and real estate prices extremely high...

So, sorry for the long winded answer, but ultimately we are open about where. It's just that the panhandle is where we visited and really explored. We want to go back soon and spend more time and explore more.

Right now, the only thing keeping me sane living here in San Pedro is that there are old cars and Hot Rods everywhere. It's huge here. Paul Gommi lives one street over from me and I've been over to his house a few times and may get to help him work on his projects.

http://paulgommi.com/

12. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Sounds like you will fit in just fine. Judging by your want to be a firearms manufacturer I'll jump to the conclusion that your not the typical brain washed californian liberal that formed the famous Idaho saying "Welcome to Idaho now go home!"
    CDA and Hayden are fantastic places, but expect some serious winter conditions.
    Boise is a fun town, and you have described the terrain accuratly, but it is a very short distance from some of the neatest country in Idaho (Stanley, redfish, ect) IMO.
    Good Luck

13. AD_NAPCO

AD_NAPCO

It's funny you say that because as a kid we did a lot of travel back and forth between California and Oregon. At that time, in the early 80's the border sign going into Oregon actually said "Welcome to Oregon, Now Please Go Home." Apparently Oregon's then Governor had that put up.
    So that's where I was coming from. The other part I want to say is that the idea that Californians are typically brainwashed and liberal. Well, statistically, purely by the numbers that might be true. But that is only because the population centers around San Francisco and the west side of Los Angeles hold the rest of the state hostage. In fact, California has some of the highest numbers of background checks for firearms purchases annually in the nation, and highest numbers of hunting licenses issued in the nation. I think Texas, maybe Pennsylvania and Kentucky are the only states with significantly higher numbers. It's just that even with huge numbers comparative to other states, we are such a small percentage of the population because of the massive numbers in the SF and LA voting districts that nothing is really going to appreciably change in the political arena for the better. It kills me what has happened to my state.
    A lot of people don't know this, but, the far northern part of California, and the southern part of Oregon, even to this day refer to themselves as The State of Jefferson. They a group of rural counties on both sides of the border wanted to secede from their respective states because they were tired of city politicians who had no clue about country living deciding how they should live. That movement is actually still going on even though it really lost steam due to the outbreak of WW2.

Anyway, yeah I think we will fit in just fine up there. We lean pretty far to the Libertarian side of things and if there was one thing I noticed (we were there during the last presidential election) was out of the hundreds of campaign signs in front yards, there was literally (1) Romney sign, (0) Obama signs, and the rest were all Ron Paul. Even if he didn't carry the state, I like that people are free enough thinkers up there unabashedly support what they believe in.

Anyway, this thread is probably way out of bounds now. I expect she'll be pruned or shut down. Anyone who wants to PM me is more than welcome. Thanks for the YOM information! I have my ebay searches saved and am on the lookout for the right plates. I need 39, 55 and 56 right now.

Josh

14. elanore56

elanore56

Anyone know if I can register 56 plates on my car that end with a tk ? Which are truck not car plates?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!