Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chassis question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowshow, Aug 15, 2013.

1. lowshow

lowshow
    from CANADA

Hey everyone. Can I build a chassis on an uneven floor? The back end is all done but I am having a hard time sorting out the front. I think I know how to do it from reading other threads, it's just that my floor is not level. My plan is to get my frame where I want it to be on the road, make sure it is square and true, then put the front axle under, load up my transverse leaf, set my caster then figure out where the back of the split wishbones will land and mount them. Is this possible on my uneven floor, or should I figure out something else? Thank you.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. lowshow

lowshow
    from CANADA

Ps: it's a 40 ford coupe chassis, transverse front leaf. Split wishbones.

3. when i do front end alignments, i have plywood/2x blocks that level the car. shim your jack stands.

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I built my first rpu hot rod in a dirt floored garage, so I had to do a lot of leveling and shimming to get things right. Get some 4 foot carpenters levels and get the frame sitting absolutely level in all directions by shimming the jackstands with whatever is needed to do the job. Sometimes it takes a small piece of wood in a particular spot or even something as thin as paint sticks (I still use those a lot).

It can be done, it just takes a little time and effort.

Don

5. Build some kind of table,,use plywood and 2 x 4's,,and make it level. HRP

6. lowshow

lowshow
    from CANADA

Wow! Thanks for the quick replies! The back end is all done and sitting on the wheels. I am just wondering if I can get my frame where I want it(tipped down a bit in the front) on the screw type adjustable jack stands, and then get my front end in place and that's how it will sit? It should be all lopsided or anything once everything is welded and I take the stands out. I'm a first timer please forgive me.

7. lowshow

lowshow
    from CANADA

That was supposed to be "shouldn't " lol.