Register now to get rid of these ads!

eastwood vs spi epoxy primer?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cobalt333, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Im getting closer to the time im ready to epoxy prime my car..i was going to get 1 to 1 mix 2.1 voc epoxy black primer which makes 2paintable gallons from spi at a cost of about $160...but tonight i saw on ebay a 2 gallon eastwood setup for $112 with free shipping...having never worked with any..are they both the same..or one alittle better..pros and cons..thanks

Attached Files:

2. Never heard of SPI,,,but I have used the Eastwood with good results. HRP

3. this is them.... so this eastwood stuff is good? seems like a good deal

Attached Files:

4. willys_truck

willys_truck

I have used the SPI with good results.

5. so far 1 for 1 one ..but both good....if they are the same i will go for the cheaper deal for sure.. :)

6. BenW455

BenW455

SPI is great!!!

7. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Ive used SPI epoxy and uro primer both good.Id reccomend them!

8. wedgehead63

wedgehead63
    from Auburn KY

SPI has never let me down. I use their epoxy, 2k urethane and their clears.

mikhett likes this.
  9. what made you guy pick spi epoxy primer? and have you used eastwood ever? just curious.. there is only about a 50 buck difference...but 50 bucks could buy another part for my car...

10. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I just asked this exact same question on another forum. It was unanimous. Eight responses. All said SPI. Apparently Eastwood simply repackages someone else's primers and paints. All responders said that the SPI sands much easier and is the best they've ever used. Today I called SPI and ordered their Epoxy primer and activator. The salesman was extremly helpful and knowledgable

11. beyond static

beyond static
    from Louisiana

After I had my car blasted, I sprayed it in Eastwood's black epoxy. I can't vouch for its long term durability as it has only been a few months, but it has been fine so far.

12. jaw22w thanks for your input...alot of people on line swear by it it seems...i just want to make sure i get the best after buying a gallon of hot rod black lacquer primer to just read 2 seconds after about epoxy primers...doh!!

32Stoker likes this.
  13. jazz1

jazz1

I used Eastwood epoxy primer for a recent project,,definitely mediocre quality compared to the U-Tech epoxy I used on previous project. As usual you get what you pay for.

14. thanks jazz1...i was just wondering that maybe the mix of actual epoxy was thinner watered down so to speak in the eastwood setup and maybe the spi was more quality full strength..

15. hey i just wrote (SPI) southern polyurethanes inc. a email question to have them explain what make their epoxy better than eastwood and what ways...im really interested in what they will say..course its their company so i know they will talk it up... but still intrested..will post when i get a answer

16. Topstrap

Topstrap
    from East Ohio

I was looking for the same info a few months ago and decided on the SPI epoxy primer. We used it on our 62 Impala frame and all the components. Sprayed on really nice and looks great. The owner of SPI gives you his personal cell number and if you have any questions you can call anytime for advice.

Topstrap

17. LittleBritishCar

LittleBritishCar
    from Napa, CA

I used SPI and was so impressed that I would never even consider using another brand. I am not saying Eastwood epoxy (which many claim is repackaged Kirker brand paint) is bad. I am just saying that SPI is a known quantity with good reviews from nearly everybody who has used it.

18. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

SPI has been mentioned on the H.A.M.B. a ton of times. Always with good reviews.

mikhett likes this.
  19. Been using SPI products for the last 8 years
    Never had any problems, best I've used in the 40+ years I've been pullin the trigger.
    To save 50 bucks or so, is it worth the gamble?

mikhett likes this.
  20. rustang

rustang

I used SPI 2K sealer and their universal clear on my truck, and will not go back to what I was using before... SPI products, and customer support are great.....I called SPI on a Saturday afternoon with a problem i was having and the owner, Barry, spent about 45 min on the phone with me solving my problem....1st class!
    Tom

21. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

SPI has the best customer support I've ever seen! If you have a question you talk to the owner, not some help line. I've used them for about 8 years with no problems. I also went to one of his seminars that was very helpfull. There is also alot of how to info on his website. http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/

22. nor6304

nor6304
    from Indiana

I've used SPI the last few years & it works the best for me Customer support is # 1 in my book

23. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Call your local PPG store or professional body shop supplier that handles PPG. Get a quote on this product and you'll get a pleasant surprise.

https://buyat.ppg.com/refinishProdu...roductID=c3947816-0892-4a10-9aab-ba1ef572512b

This one's as close to the old DP 90 formula as you can get, can be reduced and used as a sealer, user friendly, uses 1/2 the catalyst. IIRC, under $150/package and available in black, white or grey. The white makes a nice base as a sealer for bright colors like reds and yellows. I've used it on cars worth over $300K with no fears and fabulous results. DPLF (PPGs front line epoxy) is incredibly expensive any more and can't be used as a sealer like the old DP series could. Food for thought, and I've been at this longer than I care to admit.

24. THIS IS WHAT THEY RESPONDED....Our epoxy sprays great and unlike most epoxies ours is sandable. We have the best anti corrosion in the business and gas and dot3 wont touch our epoxy.
    Our epoxy dries to a nice sheen so you can see where your body filler needs to go and you have seven days to apply filler and 2k primer wo sanding first. IT WILL BE ABOUT $72 MORE BUT ALL IVE HEARD WAS GOOD THINGS ABOUT IT...SO IM DOING IT...THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO EVERYONE:D

25. jazz1

jazz1

I will likely be trying SPI in the future,,,have read some good reviews on their products in particular their flat clearcoat..I used Klearcote TM flat clear and that stuff is shit IMO

26. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Never used SPI.
    But maybe 3 months ago I finished an O/T Beetle in eastwoods Epoxy Grey. The same 1:1 stuff you show there. Used of course as a "Drive while you work on it" coating. I would actually be comfortable with leaving it as the finish. I'm not the hardest person to please, But it looks good and seems like a quailty product. Sprays and flows very well.
    Honestly, I'm more than happy with it. Killer deal, Would use it again.

27. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Well, this is a crappy picture from my phone. Looks better in person.

Attached Files:

28. cad-lasalle

cad-lasalle
    from grafton nh

Isn't the shipping free on SPI products?

29. larry k

larry k

truley the bottom line is ---IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SPI AND EASTWOOD ????? YOU DON'T NEED TO BE SPRAYING IT ANYWAY !!! :eek: NUFF SAID !!!

30. frankie3555

frankie3555
    from Leeds, Al

OR...maybe he is just a beginner looking for some education concerning epoxy primers. I have used both, I no painter. im on my 3rd full car paint job, but I think the SPI is better and the customer service is well worth the price difference. Its definitely glossier and can be sanded. I just finished my first finish panel, a rear valance, using all SPI products. This is single stage black using a harbor freight gun with a tiny 22gal 3.5hp porter cable compressor in a very dirty garage. It has a couple small nibs in it but I'm going to color sand and bluff anyway so..[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kruzin karl and loudbang like this.