Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods corvair IFS front suspension

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fenders, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Fenders

Fenders

For anyone looking:

That's what I used in my first 30 coupe... (see photo)
    would be better under a full fender A

http://worcester.craigslist.org/pts/4001168568.html

I have no interest in this and do not know the seller.

edit title: yup my bad, I corrected it, it's IFS not IRS (I refer to the Front suspension...)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Corvair suspensions are best left under Corvairs !! And no IFS on fenderless cars ,looks like ass.

3. Anyone around the hot rod scene during the 70's knows that many home built low budget hot rods used Corvair front suspension,,at that time it was state of the art,,and cheap.

It was best used under a full fendered and fat fended cars.

I am guilt of using one and honestly the Model A pickup handled great but looking under the fenders it was kinda ugly. :rolleyes: HRP

4. millersgarage

millersgarage

IRS = rear suspension

5. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

yEAH, I remember my Dad & bros using them in the 70's. I remember something about running is backwards was better???

6. Correct. HRP

7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

My Bantam came to me with (narrowed) 'Vair IFS, and I'm going with it for now. It's full fendered, plus I don't know of a straight axle short enough. The one in the OP post is the early 4 lug without a sway bar, need '65 or newer if you want 5 lug without drilling.

[​IMG]

8. turdytoo

turdytoo

What he said.

9. b-bob

b-bob

I had one under a 48 Austin back in the seventies, and it took a large area to turn it around.

10. I couldn't give away the IFS or IRS out of my '62.

11. A Corvair rat rod??? Wow, this guy is the coolest dude on the planet. Poor 'Vair.
    I predict a trip to the crusher in 12 months or less

12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Man you are going to have so much toe in when turning [ackerman is reversed because of spindle arms piont inwards] if your going to have much at all as the steering arms are long and the rack doesn't have that much travel..IMO don't think you will be happy with it..

13. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

yEAH. tHEY suck. That's why the MMII replaced it, but in the 70's MMIIs were new cars. We're done with Corvair IFS. I'm supprised you guys . . . . . .:eek:

14. I love Corvair IFS! Oh wait, it's on my Corvair. Never mind.

15. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

That's Funny. Come to think of it, the front end was the demise of the Corvair. It was a lack of weight thing.

16. pitman

pitman

Interesting note about the reverse feature, in 100k miles under my full fendered high school A, the front end did steer fine going forward, but always perfectly, when going in reverse. Why, I do not know!

17. Leviman

Leviman

Naw, the demise of the corvair was ralph Nader. The corvair was really not problematic or unsafe at all. He just likes making money and a rucuks.

18. papastoyss

papastoyss

I too am guilty. I put a Corvair IFS under a full fendered '32 Chevy sedan in the early '90s.I reversed the steering arms & used a Celebrity (Ithink) rack. I used Chevelle rotors & fabbed caliper brkts. The car drove great, I put about 30,000 miles on it before before selling. Yes its ugly but if I had it & didn't want to spend $ I would use it again.Under a fenderless rod, no way.

19. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I just learned a new word. Right on.

<TABLE id=entries><TBODY><TR><TD class=index> <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>rucuks</TD><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 13px; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; TEXT-ALIGN: right"> http://www.dictionaryupdate.com/rucuks</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    insane,crazy,madness straigt up
    or bad,wack,big mess of trouble

</TD><TD class=word data-defid="271188"> </TD><TD id=tools_271188 class=tools></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD id=entry_271188 class=text colSpan=2>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Edit: This is a sarcastic comment.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  20. 2racer

2racer

he might have messpelt this

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD>ruckus</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; FONT-SIZE: 13px; FONT-WEIGHT: normal">http://www.dictionaryupdate.com/ruckus</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    a disturbance, loud obnoxious noise
    principal: whats this ruckus?
    student: I didnt hear a ruckus
    principal: I heard a ruckus
    student: can you describe this ruckus?

21. We used Colt reverse rack so it could be used behind the cross member instead of the front. HRP

22. Fenders

Fenders

oops I fixed it, thanks....

23. Fenders

Fenders

Geez I just looked at the rating for this thread and it sucks, I was just trying to be helpful for anyone wanting an IFS for a 70s full fendered rod... that's what we used back then...

24. Yeeesh!! I think that is a picture that speaks a thousand words. I see why they flipped them, back then

25. Don't worry about it,,the one star guy hits us all!:rolleyes: HRP

26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yep, right you are. New steering arms on the way, shorter and straight. I hadn't gotten that far when I took that photo. Was ridiculous the way it was there, though I hear road racers like reverse ackerman.

27. Andy

Andy

I put a Vair IFS under my 32 3W in the late '60's. I used Camero spindles and brakes. I uses a 60 chevy steering box. It worked great. Idrove it everywhere including on business trips and to work every day. The geometry is light years ahead of the M11 stuff. They have much less camber change with travel and have built in anti dive on braking. You can easily adjust them as the A arm is adjusted with shims rather than the sliding deal with the M11. It is a much better design. The A arms fit under fenders better as the inner pivot shafts are lower and angled down. Just my experience.

28. aaggie

aaggie

I helped a friend put a Corvair unit under his '31 Model A in 1964 and it rode OK but you needed a four lane road and a J turn to turn it around.

29. 29moonshine

29moonshine

i have one under my 29 chevy because a mustang ll would not clear the fenders. changed the spindles and ball joints and brakes to chevelle 75 000 miles later still doing good but it is fugugly