Register now to get rid of these ads!

241 Hemi Won't Start.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by S2X01, Aug 15, 2013.

1. S2X01

S2X01

I'm thinking the cylinders might be washed. It ran for a while, but wasn't getting gas.
    I dropped the tank and repaired it, and now it won't catch at all.
    The plugs were wet, so i pulled them before vacation. I figured 2 weeks was enough time to air the cylinders out.
    If i try to crank it and put my hand over the carb, there is still a ton of suction.

Should I just blow the cylinders out thoroughly with an air gun and try the ATF trick??

2. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

CHeck the points?

3. S2X01

S2X01

Brand new points, condenser, coil, and plugs. Everything is sparking fine.

4. jchav62

jchav62

Try the ATF trick. Worked for me on and old 250 last year.

5. terryble

terryble
    from canada

It's a Dodge did someone walk by carrying an ice cream cone

6. S2X01

S2X01

Ice cream cone? I don't get the joke...

7. PackardV8

PackardV8

The additives in today's pump fuel can permanently gag plugs. Air drying won't do it. A propane torch is the only way to clean cold fouled plugs.

Pull all eight, squirt some ATF into the cylinders, cover each side with an old bath towel weighted down with a couple of wrenches. Crank over the engine a dozen times to distribute the ATF and blow out any excess. Reinstall the plugs. Should fire up.

jack vines

8. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

What did you do to the tank? Not getting gas with wet plugs doesn't add up. Is the spark blue or yellow? Blue is a good hot spark, yellow is a weak spark.

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Cylinder wash down from excess gas? Squirt some oil down the spark plug holes and twirl it over with the starter. If plugs are fouled, sand blast them. Never tried the propane torch, it might work.

10. S2X01

S2X01

I had to cut the tank in half, rebuild the pickup, and weld everything back together. The wet plugs happened after I reinstalled everything. I've got good blue spark...I'll try torching them and adding some ATF. Hopefully that will remedy things!!

Thanks guys!

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Remember to do as PackardV8 suggested in post #7 and crank the engine over several times with all the plugs out after you squirt the atf or motor oil in the cylinders. Also You only want to put enough in to put a slight film on the cylinder walls.

12. terryble

terryble
    from canada

At the risk of starting something; It's an old joke here in western Canada where old Dodges were known for tempramental starting in cold weather. We would joke if a Dodge (mopar) wouldn't start that someone walk by with an ice cream cone and it chilled the Dodge so much it wouldn't start. It was funny for the pre gear reduction starter days.

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

M-boy, that sounds like some of my Great Uncle Bill's stories! He was a veteran of the Calif Dry Lakes, and had some great anecdotes from the pre-war era.
    Love the ice cream cone app.

14. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

Yes it is true that the old Mopars did not like to start in cool and damp weather. The distributer was almost sealed and promoted condensation inside. The "fix" was to drill some holes for ventilation in the dizzy base- problem fixed!

15. Andy

Andy

Did you have the dist out? You could have put it back180 out.

16. S2X01

S2X01

Ha!! I like that!

17. S2X01

S2X01

Yeah...not a timing issue, unfortunately. That would be an easier fix!

18. George/Maine

George/Maine

If you have dual points gap them at .015 and make sure they are clean and try another condenser.

19. S2X01

S2X01

Is there a "too long" or "not long enough" point with the ATF?
    Can I pour it in there and leave it for a bit while I prep some other things? Or should I do it as soon as I'm ready to restart it?

20. George

George

If this is an old engine that been sitting for a while & may have stuck rings I'd let it soak for a week or so. But, you said the engine has plenty of suction so I'm not sure what the point of putting a little in for a short period. Did you do a compression check?

21. sunbeam

sunbeam

Put the old plugs back in and see what happens.