Register now to get rid of these ads!

Protocol of having a car hauled

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 5window, Aug 14, 2013.

1. I gave the last guy a $20 extra...for a $50 in town tow..car was a f,en bitch to load....my 64 2dr parklane marauder

2. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

&, amusingly, tips is an acronym for: To Insure Prompt Service.

Long & old story, you can search it, but IIRC, it started in the restaurant business. Not Alices'. :D .

Marcus...

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I pay the agreed cash price and that's it. I've always used the same owner driver and had no issues. He does what he does for a living. Nothing more, nothing less. TIPPING is not part of our culture down here.

4. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

I'm waiting for a car as we speak. It would be nice to have the thought of tipping but so far I have been let down by every big shipper/broker/driver I have used..Hell mine is a week late from when "their" pickup window was and it's still not assigned to a driver..Now when it does finally arrive, I won't be in town to even think about a tip..If the driver gets mine here in a timely manner, does the unloading (doesnt run and no brakes) and is polite to whoever I have receiving the car, with no damage I would instruct them to give a tip...Other than that the only Transporters I would tip, If they were shipping my car are the guys on here..

5. Muttley

Muttley

6. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

I have had 3 cars hauled from ca. to my house in or. Great service and what I thought over and beyond. One is my avatar[ before it was fixed] . I tipped the guys .I didn't care what they got paid. I tip by the way I feel treated. If jim or the others on here ever haul for me I'm sure I will tip them and if they have time take them to eat and see some cars. Jack

7. Jack,

Good for you !

Tips aside - I always am up to see cars ..... ;)

Anything and everything

I have been known to spend hours visiting

Jim

8. raidmagic

raidmagic

You do know that you can adjust that automatic tip, right? The receipt has a spot for additional tip. In that spot you can minus tip too. I'm usually a generous tipper but when there is a large party and the server is bad because they think they are getting 18% anyway they are in for a rude awakening.

9. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

I provided a lot of jump starts in a prior job and found the following to be true:

Rolex.....no tip
    Timex...tip

10. 5window

5window

True in many many applications.

11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

These guys deserved it. They only quoted me $750 and literally went through rain, sleet and dead of night to get here. Enclosed trailer, non-runner and door to door service.

12. bomcadillac

bomcadillac
    from Las Vegas

Yup I always tip the tire guys. And bought nachos for the exhaust guys. I live off of tips and besides feeling good to be nice, I think it's good karma for my own work

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. bomcadillac

bomcadillac
    from Las Vegas

Oh yeah and the smog check guy. Almost forgot! But they remember me...

14. its funny cause my little lady was gettin some ink work done and we had an agreed apon price. had a very good tip that was comin his way. at the end he changed his story and said he was gona be in trouble if he didnt charge more. he went up in price. his tip came down. its funny he would have got more if he would have stayed at the original agreed apon amount. i tip at resturants. but if i go in and pick it up or a car side to go. no tip. its only when they take orders, refill, etc. and i definitely tip by how good the service was. for a car i would probably do a little something something. pending attitudes, on time ect. we had some flat work done this spring. 2 weeks behind schedule. still did a cash deal and i know how much him and the other guy made on that. no tip needed. now if it was on time, he would have got a bit more.

15. So, if my prompt service has an accident will State Farm cover the damages?

TEPS: To Ensure Prompt Service

I suspect that's because those who look like they could least afford it either have (or do) work jobs in an occupation that gets tipped.

I don't wear a watch, but I do work in an occupation that doesn't get tipped for doing an exemplary job or going the extra mile. That probably influences my tipping habits.

16. Flootiebuell

Flootiebuell

Awesome .....

17. 5window

5window

FWIW, I did tip the owner/driver. Not much but i rounded up a bit. I also offered him a place to stay and breakfast since it was pretty late, but he needed to move on.

I used Billsautoworks-listed in our HAMB-O-dex- and strongly recommend him.

18. Thank you for the kind words, it was a pleasure meeting you & your family & I appreciate your help with my minor wiring problem (which turned out to be a wire pinched between the floor of the trailer & one of the cross members)
    This topic is interesting, I always am uncomfortable taking tips, I feel like the price I quoted was enough for me to make a reasonable profit but giving the customer a fair deal. Rounding up to the next even number is alright but there have been many times I have been offered large tips which I have always refused. except for one time, a Canadian customer met me at one of the border crossings & offered me a very large tip which I would not take until he told me it was american money & he didn't want to take it back with him LOL... so I accepted & used it to buy a bunch of dog & cat stuff to donate to the local shelter.
    As far as transporting being a break even deal...:confused::confused::confused: WOW

19. I only ever have cars hauled on a flat bed with my AAA card (free tows) and I give the guy a $20 cause the cars are never registered or insured or for the matter even the car I call in to have towed. They don't ask questions and move it for me, I can pay the $20.

20. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Any car I ever had hauled was on dry land. :rolleyes:

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :D

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Normally, when I get great service for an out of the ordinary job, I tip. The guy building my motor will get a tip. He's a small shop and he put me ahead of another job because he knows I have some events coming up. Plus, his wife just had a kid. So, he gets a little something for the effort.

My thought is, something out of the ordinary deserves to be acknowledged by more than a slap on the back. In the old days, it was done by returning good work. Sadly, those times are gone.

22. I just had to have my car towed, dropped a pushrod on the way to goodguys show. The driver got from Dallas to Ft.worth in less then an hour and was very careful loading and strapping down the car. I gave him 10 bucks tip, for his work and good attitude, it was all the cash I had with me at the time.

23. 5window

5window

Just another case of not being able to type and relying on an idiot computer to spell-check. Thanks.