Register now to get rid of these ads!

GASSER MUST HAVES and cant haves?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyDave, Aug 4, 2013.

1. I must have one of these.

2. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Great idea I love it when someone goes to this kind of trouble to stay period correct. I've seen a lot of good looking Gassers only to look inside and see a 2013 autometer tach mounted on the dash or worse new style letters on the slicks ( it takes about 5 min and some brake clean to remove them) how about a 60s style gasser with a pro mod wheelie bar when I see that I have to turn my head.

3. Muttley

Muttley

They are pretty cool, I've got on in my Comet.

4. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Might check your local battery recycler. I've dropped batteries off at our local place and seen them in the pallets of old batteries there. I used to have one off a stationary generator from a microwave switching station, but recycled it when it finally gave up.

5. that is what I am looking for!!! can't seem to find them these days around here. HELP!

6. cavman

cavman

There is an Ansen copy on Ebay now. #231032844382

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  7. cavman
    think you have a typo??????????
    cut and pasted that and got books??????????????

8. AHotRod

AHotRod

9. violet springs

violet springs

Hotrodden, there is a semi truck wrecking yard in our area that you can buy used semi truck batterys from, you can also try truck stops or a place that services lift trucks, that is where I got battery that I used.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

11. sorry
    "wings"?

12. 55chevy

55chevy

An absolute must have......gas! LOL ;)

13. CGkidd

CGkidd

Exactly the type of battery I am looking at using. My buddy works a shop the repairs heavy equipement and semi's he is gonna keep a eye out for me. What are you using for fuel tanks?

14. violet springs

violet springs

CGkidd, I am going to use a 3-1/2 Gallon Moon tank, it is a race car. If drive it on the street, I'll add a larger moon style tank in the trunk.

15. cavman

cavman

Sorry 'bout that.....0ne too many 8's, not enuff 4's.

I used to be dyslexic, but now I are KO :)

16. rustang

rustang

Violet Springs....How exactly do you go about gutting a battery? It's a great idea for storage boxes, or to put another battery in, just don't know how to clean them out....??
    Tom

17. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Put on your rubber gloves and protective glasses, plus a face shield. Drain it first. Then cut it along the seam near the top with a parting wheel. Lift the top off and the plates will come with it. Cut the terminals off at each end and all the plates will be separated. You'll then have the top and case leftover.

18. rustang

rustang

Thanks! Kind of what I assumed, but have never seen done....I will also think that washing it out with baking soda/water would be good too?

19. violet springs

violet springs

^^^^ what 1971bb427 said ^^^^

20. slammed

slammed

You know those 'wing's' on the Pro Mods that look Sprint Car big. Thank the fellow that linked the 'bay addy.

21. pooboy

pooboy
    from SoCal

Dirty Dave: To answer your original question. Build it anyway you want to and don't give a Sh*& what others have to say about it. Be true to yourself first and formost.

22. silent rick

silent rick

make it haul ass, anything short and it's just a poser

23. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

So far as a gasser running gas...they didn't always run gas. Match racing they sometimes ran alcohol. Hell Gene Cromer stated on the Moonlighter thread that he even ran nitro at times! Damn sure didn't do it with GAS!!?

I understand gas if your running a true gas class event but it doesn't alter whether or not a car is a gasser. Not to me anyway. The Moonlighter was a gasser even when it ran nitro so I feel confident saying my 56 is a gasser when I run alcohol....it's just in match racing form.;)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  24. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Old debate. When the same car runs gas, it's a gasser. When they ran anything else now, or then, it's not a gasser. It's a match racer. Doesn't change the look, but the rules bumped you into a different class back then.
    There were many gassers in the day that came to the track and raced in two or three classes. Some ran Gas, Altered, and match races, all in the same day by making small changes to the body, or fuel used.

25. If they wanted to remain in a "gas" class they actually DID have to always run gas

26. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Yes, I understand. I just have a hard time with someone dismissing a car as a "gasser" the instant another fuel is used. I am not confused about whether or not gassers ran gas in gas classes. I'm just not about to say a car is no longer a "gasser" because he's running alcohol this weekend. I have never heard of a class of cars called "match racers". I have though seen gassers run match races. Semantics?...maybe, but I think we all know what one another is saying we just may not agree and that's ok.

For me a gasser is like a pretty girl...I know one when I see one.:cool:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  27. That makes sense;)

28. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I agree. Just look up the MOONLIGHTER thread. That car is and was the real deal and ran alky, nitro/alky and Gas and it's still and always will be a Gasser.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 19&20 2014

29. Wildman1

Wildman1

Amen - truer words were never spoken! :cool:

30. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

One man's altered, is another man's match race car, is another man's M/P, is another man's early funny car, is another man's /FX, is another man's "gasser".

Hell, there ain't no such thing as a "Gasser". There are only cars that could or can make a particular gasser class at some particular moment in time at some particular venue.

For that moment and for that moment only it is a "gasser". But once that moment has passed it's simple a car that once entered a "gasser" field. Yea, an X-gasser!

If a car has never been formally entered into a "gasser" field it is not or was not a "gasser".

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013