Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's a reasonable budget?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BiscayneBrain, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

*** only 2 Grand or 2X each foot of length of project?

2. 61 chevy

61 chevy

there is no budget, its whats ever it takes, its not like the TV shows that have a dead line that they always come right down to the wire ever time.

3. A budget,...that's funny.

4. per foot of vehicle length

5. uncle Dave

uncle Dave

it's like saying your gonna have kids when you can afford to!
    do it or don't .....youll work it out............d

6. phukinartie

phukinartie

Why bother with a budget You didnt buy it to save money! Have fun with it, you only live once Unless you are a Buddist!!!! P.s when it makes you happy you are done!

7. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

To determine any sort of budget, you have to "find" the right car. Before the car is found, you have no idea what will need to be done to it.
    Best advice i can give you is to find the very best body you can afford. Body work sucks up time and money quickly. The decade the car was first built in and the brand of manufacturer will also effect the budget required to make it roadworthy. 30s Ford cars will cost 2x what most other 30s cars will cost, and those other 30s cars will cost about 2x what a 40s car will cost. Early 50s cars are about the least expensive to buy into.

I have about $5,000 and about 2,000 hours in my 48 Plymouth. It is a functioning, driving car that is far from pretty and a long way from being fast or HAMB friendly. I have done everything except cut and install the glass. Most of the car was built using used components (except brakes and suspension replacement parts). Reality is, I probably couldn't duplicate this car for that amount of money again, I fell into some very good deals.

I think your $15K + the car will get you on the road with a decent ride in primer or original old paint, as long as the wish list is not very long and the build style is reasonable. It probably won't be done with any of the most popular year, make or model of car unless the body is rusty crap. Gene

Attached Files:

8. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

I really have my mind set on a 30'/31' 5w Model A(the right old truck could sway me) and will only buy a car with a good body. That's always the #1 priority in any car buy. I just need to become more educated about them.

9. Forget the total budget. How much can you afford per week or month is all that matters without hurting your credit or bills. Once you take time out of the equasion you can accomplish anything providing you live long enuf and if you don't it wont matter anyway at that point.
    I am working on a gasser using a crapped out VW bug shell. (Because , Leroy, I don't have a 41 Willys shell and this was given to me free. ) I spend about $200 per month on it if required but mostly my own sweat equity is the biggest expense. After watching a restoration show on TV and hearing some of the estimates I realized that labour and not particulaily special skilled labour is a huge part of the cost. Just out of curiosity I totalled up my hours to that point. Came to 165 hours which at 80 per which is the going rate to just over 13000.00 dollars. Car is currently probably worth about $1500.00 on its best day so if you cant do it yourself it is almost pointless. I do it because it interests me and I enjoy it. It beats watching Property Virgins and Jepordy hands down.
    Labour is the biggest because despite the thirteen thousand in labour time (if I had to pay someone else) I am only in $566.00 in parts and pieces.
    Don

10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

How long is a string?

11. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

$15,000 can put you in a nice "A" if you play your cards right. I would start looking for a project car that someone has put a lot of time and money into but never finished. I picked up a project car that had everything needed to put the car on the road included with the deal. It took a lot of hours but I spent less than $250 on extras and was out driving in 3-months. I see "projects" pop-up sometimes that sell for less than the new parts (sometimes still in the boxes) that are included with the car.

12. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

What is a "budget"?

A budget is a quantitative expression of a plan for a defined period of time. It may include planned sales volumes and revenues, resource quantities, costs and expenses, assets, liabilities and cash flows. It expresses strategic plans of business units, organizations, activities or events in measurable terms.

WTF? Pass the cutting torch and the welder!

13. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

This is exactly what I have in mind and is the best case scenario. Worst case scenario would be a complete stocker with an excellent body. I'm putting the money together right now. I'll be selling all of my 911 speed parts. Thankfully I've come to my senses about the 911 and pursuing what has always excited me!
    Dean

14. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Everything in the bank and everything on the visa card

15. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

NEVER, ever keep receipts.
    After a while, you just do not want to know how much money you spent.