Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest SE OHIO AUCTION ALERT! Remember the guy who let all the wild animals loose?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BuyTheFlag, Jul 17, 2013.

1. abone1930

abone1930

What did the Willys and the cole drag boat sell for?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. 33HEMI

33HEMI

Would like to know what happened to the Willys did it sell and how much.
    Thanks.

3. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

I didn't catch the Cole boat, but the Willys went for $15,500. I got a sportster frame and some stuff from the shop for my dad and I. The boat with the Hemi in it went for like $1200, and I guess the winner pulled the motor and sold the boat to the next bidder. The wooden T truck that my dad used to drive around went for about $7500, I think.

4. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

cRat, did you stick around long enough to see what the 50 chevy sedan delivery went for? i had to leave when they started on the row of junkers. the econoline with the mid-engine was impressive, too bad it wasn't under roof 10 years ago.

5. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

I missed that one, I might ask the buddy that gave me a lift. I think that 50 used to belong to a guy around here. I was probably waiting to pay or carrying my stuff to the vehicle. I feel sorry for you, man, I was exhausted and my ride home was only about 5 miles.

Even the rough cars seemed to go pretty strong.

This is no shit, there was a jet-powered surfboard there that brought $1500. T had it all. I missed that Econoline, I think, the only one I saw needed a roof over it more like 20 years ago. Had fossilized pinstriping on it, Corvette rear, independent front suspension. I hovered around the frames, but I think the hot rod parts were pretty reasonable in a lot of cases. I lucked out and was in the barn in time to get the sign from the old Harley Shop. It won't even fit in my living room when it is assembled. Can't believe I got that.

6. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

thats the roofless econoline i was talking about, i totally missed the vette rear. there was tons of stuff there. i heard one hemi engine went for $1500. i had my eye on the Y block tri-power (chromed/polished $600) but dreaded the line to pay so i just went home without bidding. i left my house at 4AM & forgot the camera. shoulda had a HAMB tent there. ( i did get 1 drag mag)

7. vert1940

vert1940

been waiting for someone to tell it like it really was.....cmon guys that were there...fess up!
    left at 6 am..got there at 8am....waited in line for 1 1/2 hrs before we got to the entry only to be denied entry because my truck wasn't 4-wheel drive.was told to drive another 1/2 mile to another parking spot and a shuttle would run us back and forth...$10 to park...got to the actual auction at 10am.
    didn't care about the bikes or bike parts...but it did look like the better deals were there...checked out the cars and car parts...no other way to describe it but the biggest piles of crap i had ever seen...with a few exceptions...a lot of the aluminum car parts were so corroded they were turning to dust...the vehicles....most had bondo popping 1/4 to 3/4 inch thick...sitting outside in ohio winters is not kind on cars.
    the 34 3 window should have sold around 25...tops...the willys had a separation in the roof above the passenger side and was cocked out of proportion...the side panels were glassed in aluminum sheet.
    could go on and on,but not enough room...2 ultralight aircraft that looked like they had already crashed and a lion or something had used them as a toy....best deals ther were a brand new dune buggy body...never touched and the glass 3-window wasn't too bad...but the wood inside that was glassed to the body had pieces broken out of it
    we left at noon

8. bthomas67wagon

bthomas67wagon
    from Ohio

I'M CHEAP, so this was not my type of auction, but was an exp!!! I was there from 7:00 am to about 5:00 pm (since the 47 and 53 sold close to last...). I'm not into bike stuff so I didn't have a clue on that stuff, but there were a couple deals on some usable cars!!

1934 - It ran and was decent, but close to a daily driver quality - $33,500
    [​IMG]

Ural Bike with Side car - Looked nice, but IDK Bikes. - $10,500
    [​IMG]

1952 HD Panhead - $9500

1934 Shell - Usable but IMO had some issues - $2500
    [​IMG]

1955 Chevy - Decent car I think for a good price. - $2200
    [​IMG]

1934 Fiberglass Body w/Fenders - $4600
    [​IMG]

1957 Chevy - Decent car for a good price. - $2100
    [​IMG]

1950 Chevy - Was a good start to a car, but I think it had some bondo work through the rear that would need redo and could get worse as you got into it. - $5500
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  9. bthomas67wagon

bthomas67wagon
    from Ohio

Now, the 2 cars I was gunning for were the 53 and 47.

I wasn't able to get my bid in for the 53 quick enough (Auctioneer I think was getting tired and didn't offer it up for more then 10-15 seconds and I was blown away and PISSED!!). I offered the kid $700 for his $500 car, but he was so thrilled he HAD to have the car and was NOT selling the car no matter what... (Oh well)

1953 Chevy (No Title) - Hell of a Deal IMO!! Had bondo work and was hit in the front fender. - $500
    [​IMG]

1947 Chevy - Decent... - $1800
    [​IMG]

EVERYTHING had rust and when I say rust, I mean sections of floor, trunks, etc... and most had sections of the engines missing or all together.

Oh well, I'll focus on what I already have...

10. slowmotion

slowmotion

Figured most of the outdoor stuff would be pretty ragged out. It's Ohio. $25 admission & $10 to park sounds like they were squeezing John Q for everything they could. Glad I passed.

11. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Looks like that guy had more dollars then sense.. Shoulda had a building to place all that steel inside or at least a roof of some sort.. Looks like junk from my seat..

12. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

What a hoarder
    Jay

13. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

it was $25 per car not 25 each person if you was able to drive in. either way not worth the money. the tri power setup was pretty nice but as stated wasnt sticking around for that and heard rumblings of people looking at it so figured it would bring good money.. there were two complete flatheads there one was a 34 v8 that brought $180 and one that was around 1950 brought $120. there was a neighbor of a guy that put in a standing bid of $70 for each motor that didnt get a bid. i think he ended up with more then a couple motors.

14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some of the bidders knew something I didn't, or this guy was a bigger celeb than I thought. The $1600 Hemi was filled all the way up with Devcon or similar material, had no crank, had pistons on aluminum rods stuck in the holes. Some of the engines were so deteriorated that the valve covers were rusted away. One of the circle track quick change centers was seized up and still brought what I thought was good money for a used one. The Y block manifold sold for $750. Some of the stuff would create a frenzy, some almost no interest. We were able to get the 65 Belvedere ex-racer for $450. The 64 Polara brought $2400 and wasn't much better than what we bought. For our purposes the 65 is perfect raw material. There was a clapped out and damaged 65-6 Mustang coupe that went to $1800 (!). I feel like I've been gone for 3 days viewing what I did. No rhyme or reason for a lot of it. That 50 Chevy was at best a $25-2700 car and went double. Shiney paint maybe? An engine with no intake and wouldn't turn over, title numbers didn't match anything on the car for numbers (?), the 55 post car had more bondo than sheet metal from the middle on down to the rocker panels. Maybe $1000 or way less considering what was missing and the extent of metal restoration needed. The 57 wasn't much better and was missing both the front and rear seat frames, replaced with some heinous velour Cadillac or Olds seats from the late 70s-early 80s. Fair at $2100 if you really wanted one but better more complete cars show up on Craigslist for just a wee bit more. The 'glass 34? I couldn't say what drove the bid so high. Most new glass that I've seen has most if the mold line removed and seem fairly well built. This did have broken wood in the back window area and all the 1X1 steel was fairly well rusted. I'd have stopped at $2,000 considering the work needed to make it worth what new ones can be had for.

Some of my observations might be harsh, but it's what I saw and didn't fit what I went there for in many cases. And it's true, rust, bondo, and corroded aluminum was the order of the day. The Anglia was frightening as a drag car and needed nearly EVERYTHING reworked for safety's sake. Had I been more flush, I'd would have shagged the 52 Panhead for $9400 myself. It was a kool bike. That's my opinions of the days event. Some good, some bad, some defies explanation.

15. bthomas67wagon

bthomas67wagon
    from Ohio

Again, I don't know bikes, but the Panhead and the Shovelhead bikes (both under the main tent) had that rough 60's cool look that made me want one!!! (...but that is not what I was there for)

I looked at his Sunbeam 20 years ago (among other cars at Terry's place...) which had a top at that time but was filled up with bags of trash, and couldn't remember if it was a plain old Alpine or a Tiger, but I confirmed yesterday it was a plain Alpine and NOT the Tiger version, so I didn't bother. Not to mention it was barely holding together and not sure it was worth the $350-450 in parts the guy paid for it?!

16. bthomas67wagon

bthomas67wagon
    from Ohio

...I'm still laughing that "they" had racks full of Terry T's Harley Shop Tshirts they were trying to sell for $50 a pop. About every 5 mins you could hear one of the lady's saying "You'll never get this chance to own one of these tshirts again!!!" or "When they are gone they are gone!!". Yet, it looks like the rack was full when I left at the end of the day, so I must not be the only cheap guy these yesterday!! :)

17. rjarret1

rjarret1

The gray 53 chevy was driven from South Dakota by a friend of ours several years ago then sold to T it was a really good car at that time

18. rockabillyred36

rockabillyred36
    from ohio

I also left early...the 55 chevy HT was too far gone for me...haven't heard what it brought yet

Sent from my SCH-I535 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. the shadow

the shadow

what did the monza funny car body fetch, and was there any history to it?

20. T-Rex

T-Rex
    from Ohio

Funny car body was on an old two wheeled trailer,they sold the whole pile for like 250.00. The body was broke,beat,and cracked, wouldn't even make a good wall hanging. No history.

Got my 25.00 dollars back when I bought a couple of carb adapters,one for a three barrel holley. Like the others said, stuff was really rough and very poorly stored over the years. Did get my gas paid for hauling home a 67 Chevelle SS for a guy who lives near me! ;)

21. bthomas67wagon

bthomas67wagon
    from Ohio

T-Rex - I was confused why the guy paid $2100 for that 67 Chevelle, it was/is barely there?! But someone pointed out that it was a 138 car. STILL, the VIN tags seemed about the most usable part of the car... (cough cough cough) Did he mention his plans for it?

22. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

cRat, would you have a problem with me posting your recollections of the man on another board? It's an Ohio based Motocross board. Vintage MX is one of my other passions.

Kevin

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. WOW, nice collection of project cars. No shortage of horspower either.:D:p
    [​IMG]

24. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

No problem, man. Drop me a PM.

Yeah, that 67 was pretty bad over 10 years ago when my Chevelle buddy was looking for something. Not that it makes it any less sad that everything deteriorated so bad, but a lot of this stuff was just what was left when he sold the shop, and aside from the trucks that were driven into the ground, he didn't have any real connection to many of them. The other cars, well, Tiger piss isn't very good for preservation. As of about 1992, the Willys, Anglia, and the other larger ticket cars were damned nice. Somewhere I have a picture of the Willys, wooden T, and the white boat on a semi trailer for a parade, thought I scanned it. I am getting the CB 450 with title (hooray!) from the guys that bought it that day, might be a good bike to cut my teeth on.

At one point, there was a straight axled tri-5 Chevy in that barn, but it was sold in the late 90s.

25. T-Rex

T-Rex
    from Ohio

I agree, I thought 2100.00 was a bit much for the Chevelle. It was a real Super Sport but it needed everything. The 12 bolt was still under it, and it still had the bucket seats and the pedals. (It was a four speed) Quarters were hung on it years ago from another Chevelle and as you can guess the bondo had long since fallin' off. The plan is to restore the car. The guy who bought it said he had to save it!!

26. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

Man, somebody get that guy a medal! I don't think I knew there was anything special about it, to be honest, but I last looked over it years ago.

27. Weasel

Weasel

That was about $15k too much for that POS - nothing much Willys about it from the doors back and the nose is plastic. I guess somebody got themselves a cowl and doors for $15.5k....:rolleyes:

28. xracer40

xracer40

About 15 years ago, a guy told me about another willys named BAD COMPANY that was in Ohio. I never heard another thing about it until now. Leave it to a post on the HAMB to finally learn about it.

29. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

hey, what happened to the yellow Auburn Boattail that was in one of the pictures? wasn't in the sale and was nowhere to be seen. what did the 50 chevy sedan delivery sell for? i left before they started selling the junkers.

30. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

The boat tail must have been kept. That sedan delivery is for sale on craigslist for 1400 I think, not sure what it sold for.