Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Classic Indy roadsters: Most beautiful oval racers ever?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bill McGuire, Mar 19, 2013.

1. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

2. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

The roadsters were really nice looking cars. When I was 14 and 15 years old (1964 -65) and following Indy racing I thought they looked so obsolete compared to the rear engine cars. But now I realize how Beautiful they were. Parnelli's turbine car looked like the shape to go back then. But looks don't make a race car a winner.

Ago

3. wicarnut

wicarnut

The most Buetiful Cars for sure, I still have autographed programs from milwaukee mile Indy car races, 50's-60's. Have not been to race at Milwaukee for many years, lost interest, after cart-usac split. Do they still let people in pits after race, so kids can get autographs? John

4. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

The number 40 turbine was actually a roadster, yea it was 4 wheel drive but the engine and drivelines were offset to the "port" side of the race car. I didn't like the turbine approach but for the time it was a brilliant interpretation of the rules, a monocoque all wheel drive.

5. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

How do you call the turbine car a roadster with a monocoque backbone chassis?

Ago

6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

If Andys turbine car would have had a Offy instead of a turbine, what would it have been called?

7. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Is the definition of an Indy roadster an offset driveline like a super modified or a front offy engined tube chassis car? What do you call a rear engined offy car?

Ago

8. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Ago.

By my definition an "Indianapolis Roadster" must have an offset driveline with the driver alongside, the engine need not be an Offy, it could be a NOVI, Cummins or Lencki six cylinder. A front engined Offy with a tube frame without offset and the driver astride the drive train would be an upright as were most Indianapolis cars prior to the Roadster era. A rear engined Offy is just that. Quinn Epperly also built a monocoque Offy full independent suspended roadster, the Maxon Special.

9. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

That would be my definition also. And the turbine would have met that criteria.

10. It's an intriguing idea that makes perfect sense.

Personally, I have wondered why Granatelli didn't label the car the "Novi Turbine Special." It's not like him to miss that sort of angle. I guess they wanted STP to be the spotlight.

11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

A more 'traditional' turbine roadster:

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. skot71

skot71

I never knew the Demler car had a turbine installed. What year was this?

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

1966, it was a DNQ. I believe they had the usual turbine/race car problems of throttle control and braking.

14. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

[/QUOTE]Bill McGuire
    Personally, I have wondered why Granatelli didn't label the car the "Novi Turbine Special." [/QUOTE]
    ?????... The turbine and the NOVI were totally unrelated

[/QUOTE]Bill McGuire
    I guess they wanted STP to be the spotlight.[/QUOTE]
    Granatelli did not own the turbine car so he did not have naming rights. The car was owned by the STP Corp.
    STP Corp later donated the car to the Smithsonian Inst, rather than the IMS Museum, because the Smithsonian offered a much larger tax credit. The car, on loan from the Smithsonian, was on display at the IMS Museum for 25 years.
    Last year, it was returned to the Smithsonian and will, no doubt, end up, stored, in one of their mega warehouses, never to be seen in public again...
    While I consider the #40 STP turbine car to be the most cleverly designed and built car ever to race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, to call it a roadster would require me to rethink my definition of a roadster....which I am not inclined to do.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  15. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

October 2013 Hot Rod Magazine (Red Z28 on the cover) has an article about driving the restored 1959 Bowes Seal Fast Special Roadster for several laps around Indianapolis, catching fire a little bit, and driving a few more.

The U-tube version is here -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7JdkIpzwUE

16. The connections between the Novi and the turbine are obvious. Both were operated by Andy Granatelli and sponsored by STP Corporation. Also, both used the Ferguson 4WD system and both could roughly be said to employ a roadster-type layout.

Please note that I have never claimed the turbine to be a roadster or a Novi. I merely noted that these are intriguing ideas, which they are.

17. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

One of two built by Mr. Kurtis for Gil Pierson. I believe that one appeared in the Vintage Sprint Car thread awhile back. It just sold at auction for I think 192.

18. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The first Indy roadster (?)

Attached Files:

19. noboD

noboD

What's with the guys in hats standing behind the naked racer?

20. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Dunno, they look pretty serious though.

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Then as even now, the military (active, reservists, ROTC, etc.) were often volunteered for security, crowd / parking control, etc. as a way to increase visibility / recruitment. These guys look Army to me. Heck, they could even work for the Park Service or something like that. In high school I had to work games and parades every so often as part of my ROTC commitment (yes, it was mandatory for 2 years!). Gary

22. noboD

noboD

Thanks Gary, I thought they looked like WW1 military but couldn't figure the connection.

23. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Attached Files:

24. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The Belond laydown undressed:

Attached Files:

25. rick finch

rick finch

26. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

A little trivia: In 54 the Belond team experimented with radio communication. Though not in the race.

Attached Files:

27. dweis12

dweis12

Check out www/racestarpublications.com Click on archives....see article on Steve Truchan also click on the: "we had visited him nearly a year ago"

Also check out Bob Boyce article

28. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Staying with 1958. Some very attractive Watson creations comprising the front row, headed for a calamitous N/E first lap event.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013