Register now to get rid of these ads!

Save the Drive In!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. having only been to a drive in a hand full of times (and being a younger guy) i honestly say that it was one of the more enjoyable activities i have done. its really something i would like to do more of. it is sad how many are closed down now. and its even more upsetting that more could be pushed out of business. thanks for bringing this project to our attention.

3. Until the recent switch to digital the decline of Drive-ins had stopped and started to recover. We have a Twin drive in here that has been open now for two seasons!

4. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

we are lucky enough to have two locally...I didn't see either on the list for this program. Loved it as a kid & I still enjoy it. I hope they never go away.

5. 64cummins

64cummins
    from kansas

We have the Pageant drive-in in medicine lodge Kansas and its being threatened I'm 29 and have 2 kids that like going and it's very sad ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376494934.098826.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. We're lucky to have a brand spankin-new drive in here in Fort Worth. http://www.coyotedrive-in.com/

Here's us when we tried it out for the first time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. We have one just around the corner, The Starlite, that my wife's grandfather built and it opened in '55. We've taken the kids 3 times this summer with another night planned. It wouldn't be summer without going to the drive-in. We always seem to dream about having it back in the family.....

8. We are lucky enough to still have two drive-in theaters here in the Shenandoah Valley. One is on Rt.11 South of Winchester and the other is also on Rt. 11 in the Lexington area. In my youth we had two here in Harrisonburg.

9. 62nova

62nova

I never thought that I would thank Honda for something but "Thank you Honda!"

10. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

first thing i thought of.

too bad one of the big 3 didn't get behind this first.

11. 2Hep

2Hep

My favorite Drive-in that me and my family have gone to since I was born...now only once a year since moving from home and living out of state... is the Wellfleet Drive-In on Cape Cod. Opened in 1957 in Wellfleet, Mass. One of the few on the East Coast.

12. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Graduating in 1962 I remember them well...
    Way too much fun..
    I am not sure if there is one close to me or not, but would loved to get a few older cars and make a night of it !!
    Good post...

13. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

I think it's pretty cool for Honda to do this-if some of the other Auto companies did the same, then that would really bump the numbers up. Seems like the film companies would be able to help with this-don't they make boat-loads of money from their films being shown? Thanks for the post!

14. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I am fortunate to live only a mile from the only Drive-In left in Northern Minnesota. They converted to digital for this season and the picture and sound is incredible. They have had their best year in literally decades. It is good to see Honda helping out some of the smaller Drive-In's with what can be a very large purchase.

http://www.skyvumovies.com/

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  15. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I knew Walmart was giving the Union fits, but now Honda.... How can you top that... Saving an American icon.... What a great cause.

I posted the link on my Facebook. I have to check to see if The Midway is on the list.

16. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

This is a great idea. Thanks for posting. There's nothing like a drive-in movie on a summer night...

17. pila38

pila38

There was one close to my home when I was a kid. It was in Warwick, NY, and I loved going there. I moved a little far away from it now and haven't been there in a long time. I wish there was one closer to me.

18. NATESBPD

NATESBPD

We have the "Vanburen drive in" in Riverside California. We would take a car and a truck.. throw an air mattress in bed of truck..or a bunch of pillows and blankets..nuuggle up..watch the movie under the stars with our ice chest full of candy and beverages. Always bought the fresh popcorn! Its still going today.. I'll try to take a photo of entrance.. My plan is to take the 40 with wife and kid soon..exhaust is going on 40 tomorrow! Vanburendrivein.com

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

I always wanted to open up a drive-in. We had one less than three miles from where we lived. It also doubled as a flea market on Saturdays. Best flea market ever. Wasn't all this new crap. I miss it a lot. I'd rather go to a drive-in than a walk-in. People who have never been just don't know what they are missing. There's a huge market for it but people just don't want the hassle. Very sad to see so many go the way of the dinosaur.

20. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Here in Flint we have the old US23 drive in. Last night for the Back to the Bricks car week, they did 'Brick Flicks'. Free movie for everyone. Pulled in more than 600 cars this year for a showing of 'Grease'. Great time had by all.

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I don't know any near Houston that I'd drive to, but I gave a donation. Hope it helps.

"The Good, the Bad and the Ugly", "The Pink Panther", "Planet of the Apes", all seen from the cargo section of a blue Chevy II station wagon! Drive-in hot dogs RULE!

22. brownhauler

brownhauler

Sad that a Japanese company is trying to save an American icon. These places would be good for a hot rod get together and a movie in the evening. Talk with your local theaters about getting something like this going.

23. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Thankfully, the drive-in five miles from my house went digital already.

24. NoSurf

NoSurf

We usually go to the closest drive-in at least once a year. It was closed for a few years but a young couple bought it and fixed it up. Been open for a few years now. My girls love going (9 & 11) just like I did when I was their age.

[​IMG]

You would think Uncle Sam might provide some kind of low interest loan to help save this precious part of America.

25. CLM

CLM

26. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

27. I voted for the Brazos in Tx, been open since the 50's. I hope the Coyote is already digital since its a new build.

28. gtowagon

gtowagon

I grew up on Long Island ny and there were a number of drive ins but eveuntally they all were sold off for shopping centers. The copaigue all weather on sunrise highway was my favorite. Now I live just outside Elmira ny and we have the Elmira heights drive in it opened In 1949. we go every weekend during their operating season from Memorial Day to Labor Day. It's actually a bargain at 8.00 per person they have 2 screens which both show a double feature and its all first run movies. It's getting old and a little run down but I give it my full support and hope it keeps going but I am worried.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  29. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great memories piling into the back of our '54 Ford station wagon (late 50's, early 60's) with my two sisters, pajamas on, for a family night at the drive-in. News reels, cartoons, kid movie . . . we would fall asleep during the feature.

Great cause, thanks Jay.