Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's a reasonable budget?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BiscayneBrain, Aug 12, 2013.

1. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

When the wife threatens to move to her mother's you are halfway there!
    When the wife throws YOUR stuff on the front lawn you are close!
    When the wife has left and your new girlfriend has to pay your light bill you're finally done!

2. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

Hey guys...thanks for the replys. I should have asked what can I do with 15k provided I've got the car. This wouldn't be my first rodeo, so I'm aware of the money pitfalls. I'm hoping I can be a little wiser in this endeavor. I've already have some tools and probably could borrow any needed. I think I can get my hands on a welder.

I would like to find some kind of running project but if the right stocker came along I'd consider it. Plans are to sell the 911 but not before I purchase the next project.

Dean

3. If you have the car and 15 grand to throw at it nad you are capable of doing all the work it's a safe bet you can be riding in a model A Tudor,,as for paint and interior,if you can't do that your gonna blow your budget! HRP

4. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

You can do A LOT with $15k on top of starting with a driver if you put in the labor.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

it would have helped if you told us more in your Public Profile about yourself. not your first rodeo, then you must have some knowledge of how things go as far as budgets and time lines. if you want another "rodeo" buy a good solid foundation and go for it. post a thread of the build.

6. depends on you skill level.

the more that you can do, the more you can save ...

7. 47 PLY

47 PLY
    from UK

What he said ( good luck )

8. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

While this isn't my first rodeo, I'm very green with costs involved with a rod build. I need an idea of what's feasible.

I've already got my eyes open for a car trying to get a feel for what I can get.

Dean

9. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

If you are doing a budget build, then you have to set that. Things to consider are. Most $ spent on a single part... ect. Perhaps Bone yard only parts...

If you are lookin to build a hot rod, or something with a nice paintjob to park and wax watching girls rollerblading by, then I would say your budget is out the window. Now you have to think cushion. Ear marking x number of $'s and factoring rate of savings for this project. Full well knowing emergencies come up.

I don't think any car is truly ever done. Have you ever built or owned an old car?

10. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

Exactly what I wanted to hear. Anyone looking for some Porsche speed equipment? I've got to pay for the car somehow.:D

11. With the right car and 15k and some frugal shopping, you can have a nice car in the end. As long as you don't think a "nice car" has to have a big dollar paint job.

12. Depending on your skills as a fabricator and parts scrounger and your knowledge of what works and what doesn't... $5000 to $15000

Sam

13. 54rat210

54rat210

15k is a good solid starting point if it doing most offer work yourself.

14. Hotrodtravis

Hotrodtravis
    from Mn

He said it best, but still go for it. It will be worth it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Get a firm idea of what you want after researching others builds, ask some questions and get a build plan and parts list together. Then you can scour the adverts and hopefully start picking up parts cheap rather than be buying new. If your in no mega rush it can save you a fortune and your 15K will go a lot further. Nothing worse than shelling out big bucks on a part only to see the same thing for sale a week later at half the price, be patient and reap the rewards. Keep things as simple and basic as possible but spend your money in the right places. Fancy things or upgrades can come later.

Good luck:cool:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  16. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

Great advice and ultimately my game plan.
    Dean

17. Yes, what Don said x2

18. Bluedot

Bluedot

I'd think $15K and a car to start with is a good #. That's about what I did, tho the original plan was a lot lower. . Best advice I can offer is do not compromise safety. Take care of that before worrying about appearance. Example - an e-brake is more important than paint. Shiny does no good if it won't stop and steer well. Build it, drive it cosmetically unfinished for a season to work out issues, and then blow it apart the next winter to pretty it up to the desired level (assuming you have any money left by then).
    As many others have said, it is almost impossible to meet your original plan for $ and time. You will have do-overs, as most of us do.

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

check the Classifieds Cars For Sale here for something with a lot of work done for a low price. like my 1954 Ford 2 Door Sedan with a Chevy V8 and much more listed here.

20. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

Best to set your budget at something like 50 thousand dollars. That way you will be able to tell people that you came in under budget. Better make the estimated time to build something like 25 years so you can come in under time as well. Just saying

21. SaltCoupe

SaltCoupe
    from Indiana

Sorry you asked yet?

22. teejay99

teejay99

Years ago an old friend of mine , when I asked about building a street Anglia , suggested I price out everything I needed in as much detail as I could , right down to the nuts and bolts . Then , he said , add it all up ...and DOUBLE it . That was in 1965 ...and he was right .
    So $15k will become $30k when all is said and done .

23. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I was talking to a builder at the Detroit Autorama who had built an A for Riddler contention. He had said the owner had about 1.2 million invested in the project. That budget was reasonable for that man's means.

It's all relative.

24. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Most of my friends and myself found that back in the 50's a budget plan that worked very well on any car was, put everything you make into the car minus 10% to live on.
    If you are married, simply reverse the numbers. If you also have kids, forget the whole project and take up gardening.

25. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

Not at all. I think I'll be able to have something within my means. Now I just have to find the right car to start with.
    Dean

26. dan31

dan31

that's the key^^

27. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

a reasonable budget is this. depending on your skills do u want to work on the car or for the car..............................go 4 it.

28. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Truer words were never spoken.

29. there's an old axiom about travelling that also applies to cars.....first, go to the bank and take out what you plan on spending on the trip- then go home and pack the clothes you plan on taking on the trip- second, go down stairs and have a cup of coffee- third go back upstairs and take out half of the clothes you packed- and fourth go back up to the bank and double what you had planned to spend.....then you're ready for your trip

30. Mine seems to be looking like about a grand per foot.