Register now to get rid of these ads!

~Wakefield Roadster~

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Red Wakefield, Aug 13, 2013.

1. jim henderson

jim henderson

2. trollst

trollst

I recognise the chrysler wagon in the background........nice work.

3. c6_rob

c6_rob

Ur building my dreamcar!

4. .

Awesome start.

A nailhead powered '29 roadster is next on my build list so I'll be following along On this one.

5. Red Wakefield

Red Wakefield
    from Pasadena

That's el jefe's! It's crazy fun to drive.. And damn fast!!

6. 30FordNerd

30FordNerd

I'm subscribing.

7. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Have you had a chance to work on this lately? ...Any updates?

8. Red Wakefield

Red Wakefield
    from Pasadena

Aww man!! I wish I could say yes... Unfortunately, no. Im actually really glad i was able to get it as far as i could before things got too busy.. As the shop continues to grow, and SEMA deadlines demanding every waking minute of attention, the roadster has kinda just sat there patiently waiting to be worked on (it breaks my heart). But you best believe i walk into the shop every morning and see her smiling at me!! Im not happy about it... but ill soon have the body sent to be media blasted and begin on the floors.. Please trust ill post photos as soon as work progresses! Please hang tight! Ill be back on it as soon as the lovely SEMA show passes...

Nick, Thanks!

Jon

9. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

That is one bad ass roadster man. Awesome awesome AWESOME!

10. Wow! Looks great!

11. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

Subscribed! Awesome start!

12. RDP

RDP
    from Kansas

That thing looks great! Can't wait for the finished product!

13. Take a look at a '40ish Ford color......Folkstone Grey, it'll work with that wheel color so well it would seem you intended the combo from the get-go.

Nice start!

14. You have stance in spades! Wow! What is the Maroon code on the wheels if I might ask?

15. Red Wakefield

Red Wakefield
    from Pasadena

16. Red Wakefield

Red Wakefield
    from Pasadena

Ok guys.. I want to apologize for not updating lately, but there really hasn’t been a whole lot going on with the roadster. But, that’s soon to change. Long story short, I needed parts, and I think I got enough to move forward, so keep your eyes peeled!
    Speaking with Russ Martin, we (as in he) decided a super T10 tranny would probably fit the motor best.. I was able to find a pretty nice one in orange county for a decent price, so i picked it up..
    [​IMG]
    I bought Bob Wilson’s finned backing plates with the intentions of using Lincoln drums instead of buick drums. I also quickly realized my lincoln-drum-to-wilson-finned-backing-plate theory didnt work out quite as expected.. I originally had to trim some of the fins for the steering arms to fit, but now that I have to space the backing plates out more, there would’ve been a substantial gap inbetween the arms and already trimmed backing plates. So I sold both backing plates and arms, and rebought the set new. Im making 5/16" spacers to space the backing plates closer to the drum... anybody else been down this road??
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I love working at ICON. We’re such a tight nit family, and I wouldn’t be happier elsewhere.. But it’s always been a pipe dream of mine to start a small shop with my dad, so my sister made me a faux business card for Christmas. I was soo stoked! (by the way, ICON is hiring and god knows we need the help, so if any of you fabricators are looking for a job, please come by!)
    [​IMG]
    Ok, so for the really cool part! For us nailhead guys, we’re pretty limited on 3x2 intake options. Weiand makes a 3x2, but are kinda rare and hard to come by. The other option is an Offenhauser, which aren’t very popular because of its flow restrictions. There are also some uber rare intakes that might pop up every blue moon, and very difficult to come by. Well when I bought my nailhead years ago, I had promised myself I wouldn’t settle with an Offy, and that I’d just hang tight until I found a Weiand.. Well, 2 years had gone by, and though I spent every night on the web and made every effort at swap meets to locate one, I just couldn’t find one. So, I convinced myself in order to move forward and get the motor in, I’d have to pick up an offy and have Russ Martin do his magic to it. So I gave him a call to see what the turn around time would be, and he asked me why I decided to go through all that headache when he had a 364 Weiand 3x2 sitting on the shelf.. Keeping composure was a little difficult, but I was able to give him my card number! He mentioned it was for the 4 bolt 2g, which was a little hard to come by then the 3 bolt carbs, and flow better.. The feeling of finally coming across the intake was incredible! But it gets better! Weeks prior, I had posted a wanted ad here on the hamb looking for the same intake. That very day, a member had given me a lead to a gentleman named Lenny LaRosa. Lenny had bought a weiand 3x2 for a 364, thinking it was for a 401-425. Long story short, I now had me a 3 bolt weiand 3x2 for my 364! I couldn’t believe it! I had been looking for these intakes for so long, and I ended up finding and buying 2 of them in 2 days! Lets just say I had a very nice Christmas!
    [​IMG]
    I know the Rochester 2g’s flow much better, but I love the look of the Holley 94’s. Now that ive spoiled myself and have the luxury of being able to run either intake, I think im going to stick with the 94’s (holley 2100’s) and see how it runs. If they indeed end up being to restrictive, Ill be able to swap the intakes and carbs to the 2gs.
    [​IMG]
    The holleys look damn good on the motor! Ive ordered a bellhousing from bendtsens, and should be here soon. As soon as it shows, ill be able to mate the tranny to the motor and start fitting it in!
    [​IMG]
    I know the build is coming together slow, but im excited and cant wait to get the motor/tranny in! Should have the motor in within the next couple of weeks, so check back soon!
    Thank you guys for subscribing and following the build!
    Jon

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

18. Red Wakefield

Red Wakefield
    from Pasadena

I purchased some biscuit style mounts from chassis engineering, and while poking around on their site, saw they make pre fabbed motor mounts for nailheads. for $40 i said what the hey and bought a set. The biscuit mounts are damn nice, but i wasnt really happy with the block mounts. Also, all the guys gave me grief at the shop for buying premade mounts.. So i said fuck it and started a template for the base plate.. Im digging the asymmetry of the sides, but not happy with the arches on the top and bottom, so i took some of the arch out before i cut them out.. Was running out of the shop after i cut them out so wasnt able to grab a photo of the base plates.
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. I like where this is headed!

20. Build looks awesome, keep the updates coming.

21. TV

TV

Very nice work, the car should be Great.--TV

22. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great job!------What a neat workshop!

23. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Very cool, Jon -- I'm looking forward to visiting on Friday!

24. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

Great to see you back at it...very sweet look.

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whoa, that is going to be one sweet ride and looks great already. The stance with that chassis setup has me rethinking running the stock A frame and full fenders on my 31 Vic.

26. v8juice

v8juice

27. mikew

mikew

I made the same mistake with my finned backing plates and Lincoln drums, sanded them down to clear the steering arms. I'm hoping it won't be too noticeable once done.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. To me it seems that you possibly have toooo many leafs in the rear spring.

[​IMG]