Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1949 RHD Ford F2 pick up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PaulD, Mar 27, 2012.

1. PaulD

PaulD

Well I got the shits,
    Every time a jag front came up I would miss out because I couldnt get there or it was too dear. SO I bit the bullet and decided to put a falcon front end in the F2. I spoke to the engineer and he said it was fine to do so with his blessing on I went to the wreckers. I was initialy after an AU front because it has more adjustments but the aluminium cross member turned me away a bit. So in the end I went for the ED unit. It is all steel so I can modify it easily enough to suit.
    Anyway I had a stab at it yesterday and this is what i got done.
    First up I sat the FE under the big girl so I could take some measurements and figure out where to cut. I am not allowed to modify the rails of the chassis so everything has to be done to the FE.
    I then notched it out to go between the rails and I set the ride height.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From here I did a heap of measuring to get it straight and set up the locators.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Pretty happy with how it all turned out. I still have to build shock towers and upper wishbone supports but all good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I got the seat also it is the reaor out of a mazda 626 little bit of playing around and it will be good to go.
    [​IMG]

2. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Nice to see some progress again.

3. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

The Pickup Place in Melb does the Ford AUf/ends,give Ben a call heez got all that shit engineered and heez a helpfull bloke.

4. PaulD

PaulD

Boxed the chassis up to the gearbox mounts tonight. Looking great. I will have this a rolling chassis by friday. I worked out the dimensions for the shock towers and the upper wishbones tonight. I had a flash back in my oxy set and it burn the o ring out in the mixer so I couldnt cut anything out.
    Just a couple of pick for you all.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. PaulD

PaulD

Oh well stil soldiering along.
    I started to build the shock towers tonight and they are working out a treat.
    [​IMG]
    Plates ready for cutting
    [​IMG]
    finished product
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. PaulD

PaulD

Yet another bit of prgress, I just have to put some crush tubes in the chassis and the front end is ready for welding. I am stoked. Good shot in the arm. I wont be welding for a bit though until the engineer looks over it. I finished the second shock tower last night and I am happy to say the least. Crush tubes tonight then engine mounts. Cant wait.
    [​IMG]

7. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Will you use the Falcon power steering ?

8. PaulD

PaulD

Ahh yes

Good bit of gear in that model.

9. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Ill take you up on that offer, plus I know of some junk yards in southern ohio that have some F1s! :D

10. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Should make it nice to drive. :)

11. rrayne

rrayne

Just curious, whatever happen here? did you build it? did you get burned out?

12. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

I've been wondering about this project as well.