Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 34 Fuel Coupe - still looking

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tedbrine, Jun 16, 2013.

1. tedbrine

tedbrine

Still looking for my old 1934 5W, Chrysler powered fuel coupe. Got a note (or sighting) that it was in a showroom in Tacoma Washington back in April of 2013 but no details. I built this car as a nostalgia qtr mile tire smoker and ran on the east coast and Indy in the 80's. Anyone know of it, please contact - thanks. ted - htb001 at g mail dot com. Photo attached circa 1980's

Attached Files:

2. killer car, good luck with the hunt..... i'd like to find a car like that too...ttt

3. Perhaps at the Bucky Austin Drag Racing Museum / toy store /hoarders delight / gotta know someone to get in. collection in south Tacoma ? Good luck with your search.

4. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Nice race car. Good luck finding it, it always amazes me how stuff just can disappear.

Must have been quite a ride.

5. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

bad ass. Loved the rear wheels

6. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Keep us posted if you find it!
    Jay

7. Fenders

Fenders

There oughta be a law against selling owner-built hot rods....

You built it, you gotta keep it forever.

8. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

The best advice I can give from my years of being a car guy looking for that certain car is this: I will search for years for that special one, eventually giving up.Then I use plan "B" . Thats when I spend all my funds and build a repilca or buy my second choice car. It never fails, the car I originally wanted, will fall in my lap within days! As soon as Im broke and have no funds to buy it! So blow all your cash and it will find you!!!!
    I feel your pain, that car just grabs you by the throat, with a choke hold! Sure hope you at least locate it, and its had good care. And who knows, maybe all the stars will align just right and it can return home, to you. Good Luck!

9. tedbrine

tedbrine

Thanks - Austin's might be a starting point. I think they probably know most cars in the area. I built the car with Ed Quay from Pottstown, PA and Paul Gold was with me doing the tuning on the hemi. It had all the good stuff - Donovan tunnel port heads, rocker shafts, gear drive, valve covers, Halibrands and more. Here's a photo from Maple Grove's 25th anniversary back in the 80's. We were booked in to smoke the qtr. and we did that - in spades. Not hard with 75% in tank, 23 over in the blower, 30 degrees in the mag, a tight clutch and some extra air in the the M&H's! Get crossed up a bit - no problem - just touch the rear brake handle and it would straighten right out. Also helped to have 14 degrees of caster in the dropped I beam front axle. A little tough to steer coming back on the return road though!!

Attached Files:

10. tedbrine

tedbrine

and sometimes the old car just finds ya! this is my 69 original hemi roadrunner. I bought it new in 69, street raced a summer and then built as an NHRA B/MP. Ran close to the national record, set track records at Pittsburgh, Keystone and Quaker City and won some modified eliminator titles locally. Sold in 70 and then somehow "it" found me in Sept 2011 after the gentleman I had sold it to had passed away in 2009 and I was able to buy it back from his family. So, after 42 yrs, I owned it again in Feb. 2012 - original paint and only 7K miles. Story has been in Mopar Muscle (July and then Nov 2012) and Chrysler learned about it and we were invited to display at Woodward Dream Cruise with Chrysler last year. Fun showing but, it was bought by me to run. So, now it's got a cage (certified to 8.50) and a big stroker. Once again a 4 speed. It'll be shown at this July's York Nostalgia reunion. We even found the guy who hand lettered it in 1970 and he came out of retirement to re-create the lettering (some was still on the hood and rear qtr). It's a time warp, original Keystones, comp hemi with mag x ram, aluminum heads, SW mechanical tach and more. So, if I this one found me, maybe I can find the coupe too and run it again!

Attached Files:

11. studefreak

studefreak

That car was in the showroom at austins pro/max on south Tacoma way a couple years ago . Very cool piece

12. 34Larry

34Larry

Just saw this car at Austin's "Pro-Max" auto's in Tacoma Washington on South Tacoma Way at 56th, four maybe six weeks ago. Looking Baaaaaaaaadddd Ass. My Avitar explains my interest. Would love to run this baby down the road aways .:eek::D:eek:
    They have a web site.

13. tedbrine

tedbrine

Thank you - I'll see what I can find out!

14. tedbrine

tedbrine

I will see what I can find out - thank you very much.

15. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Wicked cool car good luck in the find bttt

16. abonecoupe31

abonecoupe31
    from Michigan

Hey John....If you've got the means to buy 32 Ford roadster stuff just maybe you can settle the debt with me for the Model A rear window frame I sent you back in '08. The deal was for $40 (and I had $10 in shipping costs getting it to you) & a set of wishbone brackets you were going to make. I got the brackets, I made them myself years ago. This is the first time I ever got the heavy chump from a fellow hamber. My address is 1703-56th St. Fennville, MI 49408. I cant get the pm to work for some reason I cant delete messages here.