Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new ride - 1960 GMC - "The Great Pumpkin"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ShastaStyle, May 18, 2013.

1. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Big window Jimmy with a fleetside shortbed:cool: Gettin rid of those gangsta wheels was a good call, I like whats on there now. I think it'd look good with a GMC gate if you could find one....

2. Deadbird

Deadbird

Looking good! Glad to hear the Pertronix worked out for you. I have the same set up on the bench waiting to go in my 63. I'm in mid thrash right now. Guess I should start a build thread.

3. ShastaStyle

ShastaStyle
    from Nor-Cal

Thanks! I'm still trying to offload those clown wheels on craigslist as a matter of fact.:eek: Thankfully I do have a GMC tailgate, it's just in black primer and I haven't gotten around to fitting it up. I tried doing it myself when I first got the truck, but I think it's going to take some finessing due to the welded in roll pan, so I need a second set of hands!

Thanks Deadbird. Yeah, I've had good luck with Pertronix. I also used their stuff on my 59 Apache with a 283 and it ran great.

4. 1959apache

1959apache

I found that hanging the tailgate from the chain posts and putting the chain in (as if it were latched) worked a lot better than screwing around with them trying to get the bolts in for the hinge. The problem with that is that you don't have that setup on yours. Do you have hidden latches?

Great looking truck, I loathe orange on a lot of vehicles, but I dig yours.

Some of those pictures make me miss California

5. ShastaStyle

ShastaStyle
    from Nor-Cal

The prior owner shaved everything including the tailgate chains. Currently I don't have anything set up, but plan to go with hidden latches and cables.

6. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

http://6066gmcclub.com/forum/index.php

Head over to the "60-66 GMC" club and you might find someone who has/knows/etc about a hood,etc.

And you'd get some help replacing that poor little Chevy with a TRUCK engine, say a 478 cid V-6????:D:D

(okay, they also make it in 305,351 and 401 using the same external block dimensions.):rolleyes:

7. ShastaStyle

ShastaStyle
    from Nor-Cal

Thanks for the link WildTurkey, I'd love to find an original hood. Those big V6's are pretty cool, but I have to say that I really enjoy the little chevy 283's!

8. ShastaStyle

ShastaStyle
    from Nor-Cal

Well I got around to installing my tailgate this morning. To make life easier for putting it on and taking it off in the future I cut the trunnion and tailgate last night to work like the genius design that we enjoy on our OT trucks. I still need to decide what route I'm going to take for latching it. The hidden latches that you see in all of the truck shops are designed for the stepside beds, but have any of you had experience using on a feetside? I'm sure it would work with minor tweaks and figure I'll probably try it.

Attached Files:

9. ShastaStyle

ShastaStyle
    from Nor-Cal

Finally got my Shasta shift knob installed thanks to our friend from 1954 Design Company hooking me up with a different thread adapter. Thanks Mike!:D

Attached Files:

10. AHotRod

AHotRod

Your truck transformation is very cool, well done, I really like it.
    Glenn

11. ShastaStyle

ShastaStyle
    from Nor-Cal

Thanks Glenn, it's coming together slowly but surely and I'm enjoying it, which is the important part of course. ;)

12. 1960's C10

1960's C10
    from Minnesota

Those stock wheels look great and they can be difficult to find. Love the truck and color...

13. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Nice looking truck. I like the stance also.

14. ShastaStyle

ShastaStyle
    from Nor-Cal

Had the pumpkin out for a long drive a few weekends ago and the brakes about went out on me. Swapped out all of the shot wheel cylinders this weekend. Purchased the new ones from Napa and they were made in Italy. Better than China I guess, but not good ol' USA unfortunately. The front driver side bolt put up a damn good fight, but nothing that a little heat and a 24" breaker bar couldn't remedy:D I bought a dual master cylinder as well, but I'm putting that swap off for a future weekend...want to get a little more road time in before the rainy season hits.

Attached Files:

15. ShastaStyle

ShastaStyle
    from Nor-Cal

Got the brakes buttoned up and took a little test drive. It stops ok, but need some additional adjusting as the pedal is a bit high/hard. Snapped a few photos while I was out....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. nice truck....any new progress ?

17. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

What size tires are you running?

Very cool pickup...
    - Joe

18. quakerchevelle

quakerchevelle
    from Sin City

Very cool, I have a '61 I'm working on. I'll keep up with yours for sure!

19. ShastaStyle

ShastaStyle
    from Nor-Cal

Thanks guys, I've kind of been on a hiatus from the HAMB I guess and haven't made too much additional progress on my GMC. I recently swapped out the crazy Offenhauser Dual Port 360 manifold for an Edelbrock CB3 and also rebuilt the carb. Just ordered up some paint to finish the tailgate in hopes of making it to a few local shows this summer. I'll try to get back into posting updates and cruising the HAMB for inspiration again!
    Thanks Joe! I'm running bias ply 8.15-15 Firestone Deluxe Champions.

20. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

21. ShastaStyle

ShastaStyle
    from Nor-Cal

Hey fellas, haven't been on the HAMB in a long time, but had my jalopy out for a cruise this past weekend and thought I'd post a few pictures.... IMG_20160227_161136312_HDR.jpg IMG_20160227_161200316_HDR.jpg IMG_20160227_161009829_HDR.jpg

1956DODGESEIRRA likes this.