Register now to get rid of these ads!

The YAY-HOO CUP... the official post!

Discussion in 'H.A.M.B. Drag Nationals' started by BLAKE, Aug 10, 2013.

1. BLAKE

BLAKE

All right, all right! This will be Year 5 for the coveted Yay-Hoo Cup at the HAMB Drag Nationals, and all indications are that this year should be a doozie!

For those that don't know, for the past four years the Yay-Hoos outta Austin, Texas, have awarded The Yay-Hoo Cup to the quickest car driven to the HAMB Drags. All you gotta do is:

- Drive your car to the event (at least 150 miles)
    - Find us Yay-Hoos and sign up to be considered a Cup Contender... we usually make camp right next to the old tower, unless some jagoff beats us to that spot this year
    - Haul ass
    - Show us your quickest slip

The Cup Contender with the quickest pass is awarded The Cup for 2013, which means their name is affixed to The Cup for posterity and they get a cool hand-crafted brass dash plaque suitable for flaunting their accomplishment in the faces of their adoring public. They are also handed one ice-cold Shiner Bock beer... because they earned it.

That's basically it - sign up and give it a shot! We do this for funsies, so there's no lengthy list of rules and restrictions to determine who wins if things get complicated. As such, we reserve some rights to make up rules if/when they need to be clarified... but I was FFA Chapter President for three years in high school, so you can trust us to make the fair and just decision.

This year should be a doozie because the field just might be wide open! Our previous Cup Champions... winning The Cup two years each... were FLAMEDABONE and DASCHAEFER. FLAMEDABONE is not running this year, and DASCHAEFER is planning to detune a bit to keep his engine inside the oil pan.

So... who's up for it...?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a pic with an ever goofier look on my face if you want to use that....

Blake, thanks for all you guys who make the Yay-Hoo Cup happen. It is one of my favorite things in the whole world. Gonna be a good one this year, lots of fast cars fighting it out. I can't wait.

See you in a week, -Abone.

3. BLAKE

BLAKE

HA! I can always show the video of your hot dog run... that always makes me smile!

Seriously, thank you guys for making The Cup cool.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  4. jho

jho
    from Omaha

its so awesome you guys do this. Im going to go all out for it maybe ill get lucky. see you all in less than a week

5. BLAKE

BLAKE

Awesome.

6. daschaefer

daschaefer

The YaY-Hoo Cup is the Coolest challenge I've ever been involved in !!!

Any one can build a car that can win a race,,,,,,But there's just something super cool about the road trip to Joplin, the sweat, the carbon monoxide, the slicks crammed in the trunk and the rattled nerves wondering how everything will turn out.

Then of course, all the folks that are running for the cup are too busy laughing about how fun the road trip was too worry about rules.

THANKS TO ALL THE YAY-HOOS!!!!

7. ORGANGRINDER

ORGANGRINDER

I got some really tall back tires and some short front tires...should give me an advantage over everyone...i'll be going downhill the whole 1/4 mile!!! yap go ahead a put my name on there, y'aæl ain't got a chance now!

8. Firedome

Firedome
    from Austin, TX
    1. THE YAY-HOOS

A new hand-made Yay-Hoo Cup Champion tag is ready for your name.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  9. Is it from the video where you stalled on the line? ;-)

Thanks to all the Yay-Hoo's for keeping the spirit alive. Maybe if I pull the engine from the digger and put it in the coupe....

10. BLAKE

BLAKE

Thanks, KERRY! Yeah, the video where he was in the hot dog line when he shoulda been staging... the video where he rushed the stage then stalled... THIS video...

11. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh no, you didn't......

Not cool for sure, but also not the dumbest thing I have ever done in that car..... I have done WAAAY worse...

See you friday, -Abone.

12. That's it! :-D Slow start or not both you and your ride rock. BTW, whatever happened to the loud latenight open header hotlaps at the hotel? We must be mellowing out.

13. awesome run and video. Look for fellow racer Danny G in the baby blue Stude (Avalon). here the weather to ne in low 80"s ! Yaa Hoo

14. BLAKE

BLAKE

I beg to differ... one of the coolest things ever... burning out and staging while you put your helmet on, and then nailing it as soon as it re-fires and wringing it out down the length... awesome.

15. Damned straight!

16. jody1833

jody1833

Yep, very cool video,very good recovery. Plus a very cool hot rod!! I could watch stuff like that all day.

17. Agree! Great move!

18. Who won?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. ryno

ryno

Bulletproof....
    Ran a 10.90 ish for the win

20. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

21. BLAKE

BLAKE

We'll do a full post on The Cup Champ as soon as gather the details, but YES... 10.95@119 in a Henry J driven in from Tulsa.

22. daschaefer

daschaefer

I want to be the First to say CONGRADS!!!!

I got to see that "J" make a few passes! That's a great running machine that looks like it has even more potential to go even faster.....

ALSO CCONGRADS on being the first name on the cup to earn it without a blower!

Keep it together till next year,,,,, I wanna piece of that thing!,,,,, but first I guess I gotta fire my mechanic (me) and get my broke car outta the hotel parking lot.

LONG LIVE THE YAY-HOO CUP !!!!!!!!!!

23. ryno

ryno

bulletproof and rashy head out in the j in 3 weeks for drag week!
    just to add the awesomeness, he literally just finished the car the night before heading off to drive it to joplin, like the around the block test run was, hit the hwy and see what happens, well 10.90 are what happened

if your stuck at the hotel still let em know , if ya need help, truck trailer shop in stand by...

24. jimmy1931

jimmy1931

Mike, car was fantastic. You are da man, congrats!

25. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Congrats, Mike -- killer car! ..And best of luck on Drag Week.

Malcolm

26. ratrodnut

ratrodnut

Congrats mike awsome job on car and balls to take off in it so soon.

27. Sweet congrats Mike

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. Firedome

Firedome
    from Austin, TX
    1. THE YAY-HOOS

Way to go Mike! That is one whale of a test drive!

29. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

10.95 Man that's getting it! That car was way cool Congrats! I drove mine 400 miles but my best was a, not even close 12.31 @110 I definitely gotta bring slicks next time ..... and more motor!

Edit: BTW Nicks (Malcolm)little roadster was flat gettin it too, on those skinny tires.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  30. Awesome, Congrats!!!