Register now to get rid of these ads!

Macs Auto Parts shipping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joe--h, Aug 12, 2013.

1. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

Basing the cost of shipping on how much your order cost is not a good thing.

2. joe--h

joe--h
    from New Mexico

Here's todays BS from Macs -- It's UPS's fault. Dog ate my homework.

I am sorry about the shipping costs sir, if there was anything I could do about them I would. We do not calculate our shipping costs by weight anymore it goes by the cost of the order and that is UPS that calculates the shipping. Thank you, ******** 1-800-777-0948 MAC's Antique Auto Parts

And these parts would have easily gone in a medium flat rate priority mail box.

</pre>

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
  3. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I used to buy a lot of different parts from Mac's for many years. In the past 2 or 3 years or so the shipping got out of hand. I have received similar responses about their charges. In addition, their lead times went out of sight.

I quit them. There are several other companies around that can supply what I need and no BS.

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I edited out the contact information as it could lead to trouble...

Full disclosure: Macs is a sponsor of Fordbarn.com - one of my other sites. They have been a pleasure to work with and have become pals of ours. That said, we don't censor feedback posts at all. Your opinion is welcomed... I just didn't think it was fair to post an individual's name or email address.

5. joe--h

joe--h
    from New Mexico

Sorry, just POed. Joe H

6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

That's really odd. Good if you buy something large, heavy and cheap, assuming there is such a thing.

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Nothing to be sorry about man. Your opinions are welcomed. Seriously.

8. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Something to remember is that hardly any of the truly big companies use the U.S.P.S. I imagine some of the other shipping companies are giving better price breaks. And many large companies do use a flat rate per dollar amount bought. Some companies charge double shipping if the parts are coming from different warehouses. Some don't.
    As mentioned, you just need to be aware of the costs before you order.

9. Fenders

Fenders

Arkie nailed it. And if they don't tell you a shipping charge before you click on "place order," then go elsewhere.

It's just like bidding on ebay... What is the item worth to you? Then deduct the shipping charge. That's your max bid.

It's very simple. Don't complain after the fact.

10. As mentioned Earlier, Midwest Early Ford is great and reasonable to work with, for parts and shipping!!!

11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I'm not much of an Ebayer, my friend who is tells me Fed Ex has some new deal with Ebay. I drove to Portland and back last week and saw many, many Fed Ex semis on the interstate, not a single UPS or USPS truck.

12. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

&#8203;This may have been discussed here already but here in Ohio if I go to Advanced Auto or O'Reilly Auto parts they will generally special order my pats for me, they me be like 10% more but there is no charge for shipping and handling. I know they have gotten parts from Jegs, Summit and I think Speedway for me. Not sure on gender specific parts places like Macs or Bob's Impala but hell it's worth a shot.

13. For those that don't know, I'd suggest checking into Amazon Prime. I joined up last winter and probably made back the $89 fee in the first month on free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Services-LLC-Prime/dp/B00DBYBNEE

They won't have a lot of specialty or obscure items, but do have a good cross section of tools and auto parts. It's become my go-to for anything I don't need right today.

14. THEY may not calculate shipping charges by weight, but thats how they are charged by UPS.They need to at least do the same for the customers that they are losing by making money on shipping charges also.

15. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Sorry but I had to chuckle when I read this. :p

16. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Macs shipping costs don't tend to bother me. I shop tactically. If I hit the $45 shipping charge I'll add a pair of brake drums to make it worth $45. Sometimes I drop an item to bring it down to the next price break.
    What is really bothering me is the long lead times. Speedway ship out same day. Macs often take up to five days or sometimes even more: That's simply bad warehouse management.
    Also even worse. When ordering the system doesn't tell you whether something is out of stock or not. Sometimes so much is out of stock the whole order isn't worth going through with, but you don't find out for days!
    I must have spent over $50.000 at Macs but it isn't getting easier to stay loyal. I like their catalogues, I like their online shop and the quick order system, but there's some very bad management going on. The idea is good. It used to work fine. And now it's not. Ten years ago, when I had a problem the boss (the owner) fixed it. Nowadays the staff try to fix the problem and can't because management aren't helping fix the problems. Macs have some really helpful staff in customer service who are being left on their own. And the Ecklers buy out just made it worse.
    Ed

17. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

Yep, done with Macs. I spent at least $2k a year with them for years. Never really had an issue in all that time. In late 2011 through 2012 They really went down hill fast. Botched orders, out of stock, poor customer service and excessive shipping.

Begining Jan 2013, thier shipping went up 25% and they began charging everyone NY Sales Tax. Called thier CS and a nice lady told me that it wasnt required for out of state, but new owners were trying to make nice with the NY Tax authority. Not sure if its still happening, but no more for me. Its too bad, I really liked Macs. G&C , Snyders, Midwest or Sacramento Ford for me.

18. Not to take any sides here but I had a gentleman who wanted a quote on shipping for a magazine via USPS Priority to him in Japan. Guess how much $41....... Yup didn't make that sale. Shipping just sucks anymore it's expensive that simple.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I assume MAC's tinwork is all done here in the US of A? So I don't mind them taking a few days to ship, and I don't mind paying a few dollars for shipping.

Comparing their ship times to that of Speedway's is a bit funny....considering they sell all that Chinese junk. I rather get USA made stuff and wait/pay a little more for it. Just my $0.02 though.

20. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

I had a similar situation. A guy from New Zealand wanted a shop manual on CD, an owners manual, and a body/interior schematic manual. Shipping it to him was $68!! He thought I was trying to scam him. But that's exactly what the USPS was going to charge me to ship it to him.

I guess that's the price you pay if your hobby is American cars in foreign countries. I have a customer in Qatar who's T-bird parts shipping is usually $280 for less his orders.

21. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

Yea they suck with shipping. I LIVE in ny and it still takes almost a week to get anything and the cost of shipping is insane. I Try not to buy from them because of that.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of the "sucky" things of living on a rock (Oahu) is Shipping & Handling charges!
    "Stop Handling my $#!+ and just ship it over!"

I have to say MAC's shipping's been OK...!...But something is always on back order!

My favorite is Snyder's!
    The "Old Lady" on the phone always makes sure it's in stock and they use USPS charged cost!

Speedway's shipping is always Really High! (Cheap stuff though)

Aloha
    T

23. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good 'Ol MAC's again...

Can't get the Oil Plug off (stripped) to change the oil in the Banger.
    So I order a weld in plug/bung, OS rear oil seal, gasket set and some other stuff.
    Car's up on the ramps ready to go, open up the box...No Gaskets...?

There's always something missing with MAC's!

Nuf said!
    T

24. teddyt

teddyt
    from U.S.

What a scam,.........thanks for the heads up !!

25. John Diggle

John Diggle

26. 36 coupe

36 coupe
    BANNED

Dont use UPS, they are theiving fuckers !
    I get stuff sent to Australia regularly and have found either USPS for small or DHL for the larger stuff are the go.
    Both Mac's and Speedway motors both seem to use UPS and i wont deal with them for that reason.

27. UPS and FedEx do use volume of package in the pricing, but that usually only applies to larger packages. I just quoted some O/T running boards for a guy right here in New York and it was going to be $40. Not sure why he didn't just come meet me when I was an hour down the road last Sunday, but whatever. Even in my van at 10 MPG it would have cost like $25.

But I agree, shipping by order total is wrong. Lots of expensive items that could just as easily ship in a Flat Rate box, I shipped some stuff USPS yesterday that were in the $80-$125 range and the most expensive one was like $12 to Texas.

28. mike bowling

mike bowling

I used to order from Speedway and if it was small stuff, request they send it in a "bubble-pac" envelope. They told me they now have a contract with UPS and have "minimum" shipping and box size. I got some carb parts not long ago, and they arrived in a box stuffed with bags of air ( and a "Speedway" bumper sticker) and cost almost $8 bucks to ship. It sucks for sure, but they've got you over the proverbial barrel. Now I wait till they run a "free shipping over$99." special, and try and pre-buy stuff for upcoming work. But you gotta remember, it affects buyers and sellers on here too- everything I see that I "have to have" is on the freakin' West Coast!! "Sherman, set the Way-back Machine for 1966!!"

29. Friend of mine got ripped on freight from
    them, called them to bitch and was told "they ship by retail cost of product and not by weight??!!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  30. I buy lots of parts for my '59 Ford. I keep a running list of what I need, make up a shopping list and try to get it all from a single vendor. Concours and C&G are good to deal with (Concours even called me when something was not available). I put a big order in with Concours last week and part of it came directly from Dennis Carpenter.

Always good to know the Ford part numbers, do a search on that and lots of possible sources come up. I use Amazon too, not the Prime but shipping is free on some items or just very reasonable. I buy locally from Joblot (Queens NY) and their shipping is very fair and fast.