Register now to get rid of these ads!

modern spare on an old car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scott F., Aug 13, 2013.

1. Scott F.

Scott F.

Need a spare tire for a '54 chevy. Has anyone had luck taking a modern spare out of a junkyard car and using that for emergency? Are there any cars left that have the 5 x 4.75" spacing?

2. Lots of Caddys have multiple bolt patterns including 5X 4.75

3. millersgarage

millersgarage

I use one from a Caprice. They are aluminum but painted black. Put some elbow grease into it, and you have a custom spare.

mounts%20010.jpg

4. Ramblux

Ramblux

Aren't all of the Caprices 5x5 though?

5. CHOP36

CHOP36

On my 36 it has Chevy bolt pattern front &rear I have a mini spare of mid 80s malibu I have in it never used it but I know it will work

6. millersgarage

millersgarage

think square Impala / Caprice models, up to '87, not the later models.

7. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

Some of the square Impalas did have the larger pattern. It may have something to do with brake options.

8. gwarren007

gwarren007

I pulled my 15x6's off a 1983 Pontiac Parisienne

9. I use one from a mercury that is aluminum. Added an adapter. Works great and we can loan it to another who has the other bolt pattern.

10. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

The police caprices had 5x5 bolt pattern and the standard ones had 4.75. The round newer ones almost all had 5x5 though. If you find an astro van that still has the spare in it they were an 18" donut so they are tall enough to be used for a spare on old cars. The 16" versions of the spares had the dual bolt patterns. One cool trick is to mount a white wall motorcyle tire on the spare donut wheel and then you have a wide white spare, add a kool hubcap and you're in business. The bike tires are 6-8 ply tires and plenty strong enough for a car, I've used them and they work fine.

11. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

i am using a 16'' spare with a 90 serie tire of a mini van dodge 2005 that fits on my 8'' ford diff rear and will just clear my front buick finned alum. drums, and it fits in my trunk(barely)

12. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

if you look for them, there are plenty of mini-spare with 4.75 bolt pattern and even some with multi pattern

13. We once had a '85 Caprice wagon that was 5 on 5" but the spare was a multiple pattern, had both 5" and 4.75".

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!